BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

19 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Welcome JDT … Quite pleased with this appointment… Think they always wanted a coach from abroad this time …

little bit on our assistant coach …. 

Malmö FF's players wanted to get better on their ball possession.

Jon Dahl Tomasson wanted an experienced person by his side.

The solution to both parts was experienced Remy Reijnierse from the Netherlands.

Remy Reijnierse steps in directly as one of the most experienced in Malmö FF.  He has tested a lot in the Netherlands: been head of the academy for PSV, held the highest coaching educations, and worked for various Dutch national teams.  Recent jobs also include being an assistant at Stuttgart and Sheffield Wednesday.

In the autumn, he was the assistant national captain of the U17 national team that reached the semifinals of the U17 World Cup.  What he would do after that was not so clear.  Several young head coaches offered him the role of their assistant, but he declined.  He wanted to find the right one.

The conversation that felt right was when Jon Dahl Tomasson heard from him a couple of weeks ago.  The final decision came on Thursday.

Judging from the first training, there are two slightly different personalities.  A Tomasson who jokes and gets a little philosophical in his answers, and a Reijnierse who is straightforward.

- All young coaches need someone who gives reflections and feedback.  That is my role, says Reijnierse.

- I have been an assistant for 25 years.  I have never had any ambitions to be a head coach.  My only ambition is to have a fun job with good people around me.

Tomasson had Reijnierse when he attended coaching courses and they have had a lot of contact over the years.  However, Reijnierse does not count as a direct mentor to Tomasson.  He signed a three-year contract with MFF and wants to do something long-term with the team.

- I think all teams need three years to reach their top level.  You need time to build up and the positive thing here is that the team has already developed a lot.  There are many mature players.  You can expect results.

Reijnierse has not seen an MFF match yet, but he goes into the job of knowing what the priority is in the game.

- We have already talked to many players.  The players wanted to be able to control the matches more with the ball.  They are willing to do so.  We want to do it as a coach.  That is the point we want to improve.

- Everyone knows that Dutch coaches focus on ball possession and of course we have good ideas about it.  Jon has it too…….

Can you imagine Mark Venus saying anything along these lines?

27 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Could Darragh Lenihan yet stay with this new appointment or is he off to Boro?

I'd hoped all summer he'd stay, but he's made his decision, let him go and bring in new.

Welcome Jon! There seems to be a lot of excitement around the appointment from the majority of fans. That's always a good start. 

I suppose if you'd have told us our new manager would be someone who managed in the champions league last season, we would have taken that! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

He's showed his true colours, let's replace him with a decent Rovers player who's commited to Blackburn Rovers.

I know you probably didn't mean it as such, but "true colours" is harsh - he has been committed to Blackburn Rovers for 11 years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I just hope there is a plan for recruitment.

What we don't want is Tomasson being led a merry dance, told that the Brereton sale will raise cash for good signings to come in, and then they 'do a Rhodes' and only allow a few loans and the cash disappears.

Bloody hell, allow us our five minutes of guarded optimism for the first time in three years, it might all have dissipated by 15.30 on July 30 th anyway.

We didnt end up with the Pardew/Grayson/ Adkins/ Pulis appointment many were fearing. Mowbray was very well backed in his early days as well so there isn't anything to automatically point to JDT being starved of funding.

• Like 6

The club have found my email address:

NEWS 

TICKETS

SHOP

VIDEO

h

Dear Gav,  

Rovers are delighted to announce the appointment of Jon Dahl Tomasson as our new Head Coach on a contract through to June 2025.

After an exhaustive selection process over recent weeks, which included first and second stage interviews with the shortlisted candidates, Jon became the club’s preferred choice and arrives at Rovers having led Swedish side Malmo FF to back-to-back league titles.

The 45-year-old will be joined at Ewood Park by new assistant coach Remy Reijnierse and performance director Ben Rosen, who will work closely with coaches David Lowe, Damien Johnson and Ben Benson.

In an illustrious playing career, the former Denmark international represented Heerenveen, Newcastle United, Feyenoord, AC Milan, VfB Stuttgart and Villarreal, and scored a record 52 goals in 112 caps for his country.

After moving into coaching upon retiring in 2011, he had brief spells as head coach of Dutch clubs Excelsior and Roda JC, before taking up assistant manager roles with Vitesse Arnhem and the Denmark national team.

Jon was appointed manager of Malmo FF in January 2020 and during a two-year period in charge, he led the Swedish club to successive Allsvenskan league titles, as well as to the group stages of the Champions League.

Jon Dahl Tomasson said: “I'm really proud and excited to be taking over as Head Coach of Blackburn Rovers – a club with a lot of tradition and also great ambition."

“We have a young team here, and also a great Academy, and the Owners have a clear vision, which is to develop players and become a sustainable Premier League club over time, so I’m really happy to be involved in this exciting new chapter for the club."

Jon and Remy will officially take up their new roles with the club over the coming days, once international clearance and their UK work permit applications have been approved.

Please note 22-23 Season Tickets remain on sale, click HERE for more info. Don't miss a moment!

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

My first thoughts are meh. 

I think JDT benefits from the same things TM did - not being the previous incumbent and being an actual manager. That created a lot of optimism for TM, and I think likewise for JDT. Not being Mr Death Spiral nor one of the dollopers mentioned as a candidate shines a significantly positive light on JDT. Perhaps more than Is warranted. 

There are positives, he's won a few things as a manager, and the director and head coach set up isn't something we have tried before. And hey, it is so, so good to try something a bit different and innovative. 

Negatives for every foreign manager who succeeds there's one who fails (thinking the Leeds Danish manager as the first who comes to mind) and the guy doesn't have a huge track record of success. The lack of English Championship experience, especially as a manager is also a big worry. 

I think had it not been such a laborious process and this was plan A, I'd be a tad more.optimistic. But it's clear we have been stumbling around in the dark a bit and landed on this, which doesn't inspire confidence. 

So overall meh. Could have been much much worse and not a bad appointment but I'm not too confident either. 

One last thing - whilst it is more by dint of not being TM, welcome JDT. Delighted the lying, incompetent has gone and I can at least have a shade of optimism.and enthusiasm at games going forward. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

My first thoughts are meh. 

I think JDT benefits from the same things TM did - not being the previous incumbent and being an actual manager. That created a lot of optimism for TM, and I think likewise for JDT. Not being Mr Death Spiral nor one of the dollopers mentioned as a candidate shines a significantly positive light on JDT. Perhaps more than Is warranted. 

There are positives, he's won a few things as a manager, and the director and head coach set up isn't something we have tried before. And hey, it is so, so good to try something a bit different and innovative. 

Negatives for every foreign manager who succeeds there's one who fails (thinking the Leeds Danish manager as the first who comes to mind) and the guy doesn't have a huge track record of success. The lack of English Championship experience, especially as a manager is also a big worry. 

I think had it not been such a laborious process and this was plan A, I'd be a tad more.optimistic. But it's clear we have been stumbling around in the dark a bit and landed on this, which doesn't inspire confidence. 

So overall meh. Could have been much much worse and not a bad appointment but I'm not too confident either. 

One last thing - whilst it is more by dint of not being TM, welcome JDT. Delighted the lying, incompetent has gone and I can at least have a shade of optimism.and enthusiasm at games going forward. 

FFS give him a chance

• Like 1

A warm welcome JDT and Remy, whilst I appreciate that a threadbare squad and a somewhat ridiculous hierarchy won't make life easy I am optimistic and for the first time in a while a tadge excited about the prospects going forward. 

I realise that it will take some time to effect your style and ideas and that new players may take time to bed in, but I am pleased to see some energy and enthusiasm coupled with your previous experiences. COYB

Cautiously optimistic with this appointment. I had resigned myself to a Pardew/Pulis type arrangement so it's more relief than anything. 

Fingers crossed him and the new DOF have a decent book of contacts to play the loan market.

Welcome JDT. On the face of it, quite an exciting appointment which has largely been well received. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the party.

Big job needed in the transfer market, but the advantage of this is that we should see him being able to implement what he wants to do more quickly rather than having to try & move on players he doesn't want first.

Now come on Rovers, let's see a bit of common sense & try to ride this wave of optimism by extending the Early Bird deadline by another week to try & shift a few more tickets. I know they won't drop the price to anything sensible, so I'm not even going to bother suggesting it, but at least waive the extra £30.

• Like 7