BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Ewood Park is fortress now and fans were excellent today. 8 clean sheets so far and 6 wins on the bounce at home, second in the league after 20 games is excellent under our new head coach

The last 30 minutes were dreadful. We were completely shapeless. Play like that next Sunday and it’ll be time to hide behind the sofa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The last 30 minutes were dreadful. We were completely shapeless. Play like that next Sunday and it’ll be time to hide behind the sofa.

All JDT needs to do is watch rhe 2nd half of Burnleys game today and repeat what Sheff U did.

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion JDT is an old school Italian manager. Get in the lead and half way through the second half go ultra defensive and protect it at all costs and see the game out. Certainly seems to be working at home. Just needs to find a solution to the away form with greater consistency and the world is our oyster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rogerb said:

I've come to the conclusion JDT is an old school Italian manager. Get in the lead and half way through the second half go ultra defensive and protect it at all costs and see the game out. Certainly seems to be working at home. Just needs to find a solution to the away form with greater consistency and the world is our oyster.

He probably got the idea from playing in Milan team that had the likes of Maldini,Costacurta,Nesta and Cafu in Defence,that team was take the lead and they've won the game much like we are now.We now need him to learn how that Milan team cameback from being behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

He probably got the idea from playing in Milan team that had the likes of Maldini,Costacurta,Nesta and Cafu in Defence,that team was take the lead and they've won the game much like we are now.We now need him to learn how that Milan team cameback from being behind.

A return to the red and black striped away shirt for next season ala ac Milan would be most welcome

• Like 8

Hello Rovers fans

Im a fan from Denmark, and yeah, I honestly didn't follow Blackburn Rovers that much, before JDT arrived.

Here 23 games into his tenure as your head coach/ manager I would like to know, how you view him as a manager?

Currently he's never drawn a match, has lost 8 games and won 15 (12 league and 3 EFL) which gives him a staggering 61.9 win%.

Which makes him the manager in club history with the 2nd highest win% all time, only behind Gary Bowyer that won 3 of 4 games and never lost.

One thing is that JDT has brought new life into a team and a club that has hungered for success in many years, but what do you think about his style of play? Because, when reading through a lot of the comments from game topics, it seems to me that there's a lot of scepticism about how he attacks games, or rather how he defends a lot of games.

Read someone comparing him with AC Milans style of play, with Maldini, Costacourta, Nesta, where they just shut it down when leading.

So do you like his managerial style of play or hope he will be more aggressive going forward?

Hope to come see a game in 2023 and celebrate Denmarks World Cup win i Qatar.... It´s coming home 😉

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Danish Guy said:

Here 23 games into his tenure as your head coach/ manager I would like to know, how you view him as a manager?

He has been a breath of fresh air and different to our previous manager/head coach. He seems to be a very good coach and has clear ideas what he wants and demands from each player. He isn't afraid to sub any players regardless of what the fans think. 

The "negative" aspects are to do with consistency.

1. We have had too many away games in the league where we appear to be in the shadow of the hunger and desire of the home team. Sometimes we've put in really good performances and got our just desserts, and other times we just don't turn up.
  2. We often close in upon ourselves when we have a one-goal lead. Defending too deep is never comfortable to watch, and I feel as though we are doing it a bit too much for my liking.

Having said that...!

1. I have much more faith in us holding out a lead under JDT than our previous manager.
  2. JDT appears to have clarity about who deserves a place in the team and who doesn't. The previous manager was often billed as "too loyal" to some players.
  3. I can't help but smile when I watch him interviews. The previous manager was utterly depressing to listen to, and often made us feel as though he was doing us all a favour by being here. Without sounding like JDT, football is about passion, and JDT truly talks passionately about the game, and it doesn't come across as bullshit to me. He's really got me excited about Rovers again, and I think the whole club needed it.

Ultimately, he has us sitting second, and in spite of plenty of uncomfortable performances, we don't have the best squad in the league by any stretch of the imagination, and so it's never going to be perfect. But I feel as though the team is starting to settle down and get some consistency to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Why which manager wouldn’t sub a player because of the fans?

Mowbray would bottle it and bring on players who the fans who chant for in the second half. Managers like JDT or Hughes wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It would be a rather strange/weak manager that would pick his team off what Roverboi95 on brfcs.com or Twitter thought.

TM certainly didn’t give a fig what fans thought of his selections either… and quite right too.

Of course, Mowbray was bothered by what fans thought but he thought he was always right and his stubbornness in unwilling to accept that he was wrong and tactical change was needed or playing a different player. 

Look at Derby game last season at home when he didn't like fans booing of him playing Johnson as false 9 and him sulking all second half. 

2 hours ago, Danish Guy said:

Hello Rovers fans

Im a fan from Denmark, and yeah, I honestly didn't follow Blackburn Rovers that much, before JDT arrived.

Currently he's never drawn a match, has lost 8 games and won 15 (12 league and 3 EFL) which gives him a staggering 61.9 win%.

Which makes him the manager in club history with the 2nd highest win% all time, only behind Gary Bowyer that won 3 of 4 games and never lost.

One thing is that JDT has brought new life into a team and a club that has hungered for success in many years, but what do you think about his style of play? Because, when reading through a lot of the comments from game topics, it seems to me that there's a lot of scepticism about how he attacks games, or rather how he defends a lot of games.

Read someone comparing him with AC Milans style of play, with Maldini, Costacourta, Nesta, where they just shut it down when leading.

So do you like his managerial style of play or hope he will be more aggressive going forward?

Hope to come see a game in 2023 and celebrate Denmarks World Cup win i Qatar.... It´s coming home 😉

I wouldn't read into the comments too much... if you could look at the threads when Souness, Mark Hughes or Sam Allardyce had us up in the top six of the Premier League the commentary is much the same... the negativity always outweighs the praise, but thats how it is on any fan board. Usually takes a while to get sufficient perspective on whoevers in charge. 

If we translate JDT's reign so far into simple factual bullets may be a bit more enlightening

Pros

• We're second in the Championship
  • We just beat a good Premier League team in the League cup in West Ham who played a strong team 
  • We've got the second youngest team in the division
  • We've relatively little money on new players (compared to other teams at the top of the Championship)
  • When we go ahead in a game we never lose
  • We have the fourth lowest goals conceded in the league

Cons

• When we go behind in the league we never come back
  • Despite our lofty position we only have the eight highest goal tally... but that's not that bad?
  • Um.... nothing else factual really. A lot of opinion about style of play... we've had some abject performances (Reading, Coventry), but also some spectacular ones (Blackpool, Watford)

It's fair to say he has started fantastically well, and if he continues in this vein he's pretty much on course to be one of the greatest managerial appointments in Rovers' history. But we are only under half the season through, and spectacular drop offs after Christmas is something we have seen before, so I think it would be wise to wait till the end of the season until we can really make a balanced judgement!

But we're enjoying the ride - welcome aboard! 🙂

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Cons

• Despite our lofty position we only have the eight highest goal tally... but that's not that bad?
  • Um.... nothing else factual really. A lot of opinion about style of play... we've had some abject performances (Reading, Coventry), but also some spectacular ones (Blackpool, Watford)

The tactics of endlessly playing the ball around at the back and it causing us alot of problems is a fact, not opinion. The defeats at Luton, Reading and Coventry and one of two others were a direct result of defenders giving the ball away.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The tactics of endlessly playing the ball around at the back and it causing us alot of problems is a fact, not opinion. The defeats at Luton, Reading and Coventry and one of two others were a direct result of defenders giving the ball away.

The playing the ball across the back line is a good ploy, if you have the players with the ability to do it. With the Rovers each pass becomes slightly worse than the previous pass, eventually ending up with a mistake or a punt downfield under pressure.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray would bottle it and bring on players who the fans who chant for in the second half. Managers like JDT or Hughes wouldn't. 

Of course, Mowbray was bothered by what fans thought but he thought he was always right and his stubbornness in unwilling to accept that he was wrong and tactical change was needed or playing a different player. 

Look at Derby game last season at home when he didn't like fans booing of him playing Johnson as false 9 and him sulking all second half. 

Is this as baseless an accusation as I think, or do you remember any examples of your quite frankly bizarre claim? As pointed out, how can he be so stubborn yet at the same time so willing to change his plans simply because the fans asked for it?!

You certainly wouldn't have dreamt of saying anything like this when he was in employment and you was his number 1 fan!

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wouldn't read into the comments too much... if you could look at the threads when Souness, Mark Hughes or Sam Allardyce had us up in the top six of the Premier League the commentary is much the same... the negativity always outweighs the praise, but thats how it is on any fan board. Usually takes a while to get sufficient perspective on whoevers in charge. 

If we translate JDT's reign so far into simple factual bullets may be a bit more enlightening

Pros

• We're second in the Championship
  • We just beat a good Premier League team in the League cup in West Ham who played a strong team 
  • We've got the second youngest team in the division
  • We've relatively little money on new players (compared to other teams at the top of the Championship)
  • When we go ahead in a game we never lose
  • We have the fourth lowest goals conceded in the league

Cons

It's fair to say he has started fantastically well, and if he continues in this vein he's pretty much on course to be one of the greatest managerial appointments in Rovers' history. But we are only under half the season through, and spectacular drop offs after Christmas is something we have seen before, so I think it would be wise to wait till the end of the season until we can really make a balanced judgement!

But we're enjoying the ride - welcome aboard! 🙂

Who is the youngest?

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

“A lot” isn’t a fact, it’s an unquantified generalisation.

I can’t recall a single goal scored from Kaminski kicking the ball upfield, so “a lot” of our goals scored, and victories, perhaps also had their genesis in playing out from the back?

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

“A lot” isn’t a fact, it’s an unquantified generalisation.

I can’t recall a single goal scored from Kaminski kicking the ball upfield, so “a lot” of our goals scored, and victories, perhaps also had their genesis in playing out from the back?

OK, amended

The tactics of endlessly playing the ball around at the back and it causing us problems is a fact, not opinion. The defeats at Luton, Reading and Coventry and one of two others were a direct result of defenders giving the ball away.