BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Given the circumstances , eg the club’s dithering in the Summer, and the squad he inherited, I don’t think Tomasson could realistically be doing any better than he is.

Although there is likely to be a drop off in the win ratio, he seems the right fit for introducing our youngsters to the first team, and enhancing their abilities.

He’s not perfect,  but no manager / head coach is.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 5

IMO, it's been an excellent start to the season under JDT to have 27 points from 16 games is more than I thought we would have considered the changes to the coaching and playing staff, new footballing management structure brought in the summer and lack of time of the training pitch during the week due to the number of games we have to play cos of the timing of world cup. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Excellent is not what I would call it. 

That Wigan performance was totally unacceptable and it wasn't the first. 

We do seem to be able to win well though and that is promising. We just need to turn the Ls into Ds.

We're literally joint top with a rag-tag squad of whatever players Mowbray deigned to offer a new contract to and kids.

What more do you people want??!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smiller14 said:

Can't argue with how it's gone. Was really concerned post-Wigan but we bounced back superbly. I'd have snatched your hands off for our league position currently. We seem to be playing well whilst rotating the squad, which bodes well. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that we look at our best when we have Hedges dropping into midfield or A. Wharton in there.

The way JDT wants to play you need at least 2 CMs who can turn on the ball and pass. Morton is 1 - and seems to have solidified his starting position. Buckley CAN do it, but he's currently learning the lesson that he has to do it more consistently (and be braver with the ball) or he'll be playing for the U21s. As much as I like Travis as a player, he can't do it at this level and hinders us somewhat. 

It'll take time to get everything clicking - in the meantime we're joint top!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Excellent is not what I would call it. 

That Wigan performance was totally unacceptable and it wasn't the first. 

We do seem to be able to win well though and that is promising. We just need to turn the Ls into Ds.

I can't understand your first sentence. We're joint top with a team of kids and lower league journeymen, working under a whole new management team, having won more games than any other team in the division. Considering we're still very much in a transitional process after 5 years of TM, that is (to steal arbitro's word) phenomenal.

What a great platform on which to build.

Yes we can point to some poor performances and agree they were unacceptable, or to the fact we've lost 7, but to my mind that is part of the learning & transitional process. All good teams put in poor performances & get poor results, but still achieve or exceed their overall goals.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that we look at our best when we have Hedges dropping into midfield or A. Wharton in there.

The way JDT wants to play you need at least 2 CMs who can turn on the ball and pass. Morton is 1 - and seems to have solidified his starting position. Buckley CAN do it, but he's currently learning the lesson that he has to do it more consistently (and be braver with the ball) or he'll be playing for the U21s. As much as I like Travis as a player, he can't do it at this level and hinders us somewhat. 

It'll take time to get everything clicking - in the meantime we're joint top!

Agreed. Until last week we were constantly overrun in midfield, and every pass into our 2 centre mids was easily telegraphed. An extra body in there really helps us in being less predictable, more compact and prevents the two in there being hung out to dry. And then one of them (Szmodics midweek) has a bit more license to support the strikers.

Also, previously when it got into the final third we had no real focal point - we do now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I can't understand your first sentence. We're joint top with a team of kids and lower league journeymen, working under a whole new management team, having won more games than any other team in the division. Considering we're still very much in a transitional process after 5 years of TM, that is (to steal arbitro's word) phenomenal.

What a great platform on which to build.

Yes we can point to some poor performances and agree they were unacceptable, or to the fact we've lost 7, but to my mind that is part of the learning & transitional process. All good teams put in poor performances & get poor results, but still achieve or exceed their overall goals.

All the teams around us have a game in hand and some of the performances have been diabolical. 

It's still very good and I'm not complaining, I just think people are getting a bit carried away. 

Hopefully we can continue to win games and stay there. This season is probably the best chance we'll ever get to finally get out of this division. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

This season is probably the best chance we'll ever get to finally get out of this division. 

I seem to remember this being said in each season since we came back up, be that carrying on promotion momentum, or having consolidated our Champ status, or having been 2nd in Feb last season. Maybe the best chance will be next season, once JDT has built his own squad?

Of course, let's go for it this season though!!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

The league is absolutely piss poor. There is not one team that stands out as being the most dominant. We have a real chance. 

Because there is no dominant team in a league, does not make it piss poor. In fact it can be the exact opposit, the Scottish premiership for example. Two stand out teams at their level, but a piss poor league. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Maybe the best chance will be next season, once JDT has built his own squad?

The difference is stark for me this season as we have a manager that I think will have players wanting to do well for him....I think he's the exact opposite to Mogadon in that respect.

JDT has something about him as a person, he's engaging, young, players could Google him and he's been a top top player...  It can make all the difference and I think it will.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I seem to remember this being said in each season since we came back up, be that carrying on promotion momentum, or having consolidated our Champ status, or having been 2nd in Feb last season. Maybe the best chance will be next season, once JDT has built his own squad?

You can’t look at football like that. You have to grab the chance with both hands. We won’t have the same players next season. You don’t get the chance to build squads. Your good players get tempted away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

The difference is stark for me this season as we have a manager that I think will have players wanting to do well for him....I think he's the exact opposite to Mogadon in that respect.

JDT has something about him as a person, he's engaging, young, players could Google him and he's been a top top player...  It can make all the difference and I think it will.

My worry is that if Tomasson carries on this way he will be poached before we know it. 

Not much we can do about that other than hopefully gain promotion before it happens