BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

11 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

My worry is that if Tomasson carries on this way he will be poached before we know it. 

Not much we can do about that other than hopefully gain promotion before it happens

I have a feeling Balaji will get his wedge out if we get up....JDT will be a god

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

My worry is that if Tomasson carries on this way he will be poached before we know it. 

Not much we can do about that other than hopefully gain promotion before it happens

I don;t think so.  His style of football is not exactly pleasing on the eye.  At least not yet.  Premier League jobs seems to go as much for artistic merit as results these days.  Potter had a good style of play for example that would have gained him credibility, likewise Brendan Rodgers at Swansea.  While we are getting results the actual performances and style of football have not been great to date.

11 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

I don;t think so.  His style of football is not exactly pleasing on the eye.  At least not yet.  Premier League jobs seems to go as much for artistic merit as results these days.  Potter had a good style of play for example that would have gained him credibility, likewise Brendan Rodgers at Swansea.  While we are getting results the actual performances and style of football have not been great to date.

I was thinking more that European clubs would have an eye on him

JDT manages like a typical pragmatic Scandinavian; use the resources available to you without any sentiment, stick to your principles, work hard and keep calm. Long may it continue for Blackburn Rovers.

Edited by Giant
punctuation
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He commented post match that it is just inconsistency and to expect it for a while. It wasnt, there were numerous incorrect decisions made by him today.

Exactly, and that is frustrating part. If you put all round pegs in round holes, make appropriate subs at the right time and we lose, then yes fair play. I'm sure that will happen plenty this season and yes we are inconsistent. 

However that wasn't what happened tonight.

Edited by BRFC4EVA
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I don't want to be too harsh as he's got us to 2nd and he is a young manager still learning.

However he needs to take a large amount of responsibility for tonight with bizarre decision making.

1.) No Pickering and putting Brittain Lwb/ Travis Rwb. Should have Pickering lwb, Brittain Rwb and Travis in midfield.

2.) Hirst for Vale at HT. Hirst is a complete waste of space, why isn't Dack being brought on?

3.) Waiting far too long to make changes. That triple change should have taken place 20 mins before that.

All round extremely frustrating and an almost carbon copy of Cardiff and wigan.

I'm disappointed that Mola hasn't pushed his way into contention, but he has to give Pickering a rest at some point. Edun obviously isn't a Championship player, so we're drastically short of options until he bloods Batty.

I only saw the first 20 minutes before I had to go out and play football, but Vale looked like he was on another planet. He's so slow of thought - there were 2 or 3 opportunities that he completely fluffed because he simply didn't see them. It's no surprise he was taken off at half time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I don't want to be too harsh as he's got us to 2nd and he is a young manager still learning.

However he needs to take a large amount of responsibility for tonight with bizarre decision making.

1.) No Pickering and putting Brittain Lwb/ Travis Rwb. Should have Pickering lwb, Brittain Rwb and Travis in midfield.

2.) Hirst for Vale at HT. Hirst is a complete waste of space, why isn't Dack being brought on?

3.) Waiting far too long to make changes. That triple change should have taken place 20 mins before that.

All round extremely frustrating and an almost carbon copy of Cardiff and wigan.

1 May be defensible.if Pickering was knackered/carrying a knock. Not ideal and perhaps another full back needed, but I'm not sure it's JDTs fault that Edun is no good and we haven't had more than one right back in the squad since 1932. My bigger worry on this was not having bite in cm. It is so obvious we needed that. Travis had to play cm. 

2 Absolutely. How come Buckley is dropped from the team for terrible form yet these two chancers get game time? Madness. Not saying Buckley's had a good season but it smacks of.double standards. We are always going to have limited and inconsistent players - especially as a championship team - and that's the risk you take with players. But no team can afford utter passengers who are liabilities. That's shooting yourself in the foot and what happens playing these 2. 

3.Spot on. It's so little time and when you consider how much the ball is actually in play it's asking a hell of a lot in no time at all. There's also no margin for error. Let's say Dack creates a good chance or two in his meager time, the keeper could pull off a worldie or there he a bad call from the ref. With enough time you can overcome these issues, not in 10 mins. Worst of all it blatantly wasn't working so why wait so long. 

The strangest comment, when asked about why he left subs so late, was because 'the subs could see the gaps'. Why couldn't they see the gaps 20 minutes earlier? Maybe the Lancs Live text update paraphrased poorly, but to give Dack and co 8 minutes was criminal given how little we created.

Had Mowbray shrugged his shoulders and said, well we will be inconsistent, he would have been lynched.

Ultimately there are so many things that he did wrong last night. Weird, imbalanced tactics, poor and late use of subs, incorrect first 11.

We have had a very good start to the season and there are loads of positives but there are still big question marks. Getting back into games, managing 3 game weeks, regular games where we are uncompetitive, strange and imbalanced tactics at times, a total lack of competent forward options under a manager famed for his striking ability.

• Like 2

HOME POINTS PER GAME
Saturdays = 2.1 (P7 W5 D0 L2)
Mid-week = 3 (P2 W2 D0 L0)

AWAY POINTS PER GAME
Saturdays = 1.8 (P5 W3 D0 L2)
Mid-week = 0.6 (P5 W1 D0 L4)

Something I've noticed in mid-week away games is how all of the home crowds seem to have been really up for it - for no reason other than enjoyment of football and wanting to create a good atmosphere. Well, it certainly works. When I think of the Blackpool away game, we took a large contingent, and I don't recall the Blackpool supporters being very vocal. However, when we've been to places like Coventry, Reading, Sheffield United, and even Wigan, their home crowds were noticeably behind their teams from the off.

People can point to odd selections, but we've won when playing Hedges at wing-back, for example. I think there is something in our mid-week travels that affects the players - probably a mixture of tiredness and a motivated home crowd. Either way, I think the pattern speaks for itself. It's probably naive to suggest we keep up our form in the other areas and turn some of the abysmal mid-week away performances into average performances and we're OK.

• Like 2

Just seen someone say on Twitter that we have won 4 Tuesday night away games since relegation in 2012. (Excluding League one 17/18)

Millwall - April 2013

Hull - August 2019

Cardiff - June 2020

Preston - November 2020

And two of them were behind closed doors!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

HOME POINTS PER GAME
Saturdays = 2.1 (P7 W5 D0 L2)
Mid-week = 3 (P2 W2 D0 L0)

AWAY POINTS PER GAME
Saturdays = 1.8 (P5 W3 D0 L2)
Mid-week = 0.6 (P5 W1 D0 L4)

Statistically, "Home Advantage" is a real thing in most sports. There's a really good podcast from Freakanomics where they talk about it, but it's not the main focus of the podcast so I can't quite put my finger on which one it was.

I'm not saying the stats above are just down to that, but it is a factor. It'll be interesting to see what our home points per match is midweek when we've had a few more. Or even from past seasons.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Just seen someone say on Twitter that we have won 4 Tuesday night away games since relegation in 2012. (Excluding League one 17/18)

Millwall - April 2013

Hull - August 2019

Cardiff - June 2020

Preston - November 2020

And two of them were behind closed doors!

That's some statistic and perhaps tells a story about the dearth of leaders in recent years.

• Like 1

JDT’s decisions only make sense to me if you take literally what has been said multiple times: “project” and “win promotion to stay promoted” (I paraphrase).

”Project” tells me there is no pressure to get promoted this year - none. 

“Win promotion to stay promoted” means not doing a Norwich/Watford and accepting you will definitely go down the year after, but also not doing a Forest to spend £150 million on a new team and get relegated anyway before going bust.

These two combine in my mind to mean that his every decision is predicated on building a much better team than we have now that can play a style that will survive in the Premiership. Hence the focus on one/two touch, which, when it does work, results in some really good goals. But, when it doesn’t work, means not that he doesn’t have a plan B, but that he doesn’t want to go to one.

Playing to the strengths of the current squad makes no sense if you don’t see the bulk of the current squad making the step up - then we’d just be Norwich/Watford. Throwing Dack on makes no sense because you won’t stay in the Prem by throwing Dack on. Maybe he even believes that our youngsters, who will make the step up, will learn more from the adversity of Wigan and Coventry than from booting it up to Ayala and Dacky to scab a goal.

Even lunatics think what they do makes sense, you just have to see the world as they do to figure out why. Add in the supreme confidence/arrogance he must have to have had his playing career, and you have a man who most certainly is not for turning.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

JDT’s decisions only make sense to me if you take literally what has been said multiple times: “project” and “win promotion to stay promoted” (I paraphrase).

”Project” tells me there is no pressure to get promoted this year - none. 

“Win promotion to stay promoted” means not doing a Norwich/Watford and accepting you will definitely go down the year after, but also not doing a Forest to spend £150 million on a new team and get relegated anyway before going bust.

These two combine in my mind to mean that his every decision is predicated on building a much better team than we have now that can play a style that will survive in the Premiership. Hence the focus on one/two touch, which, when it does work, results in some really good goals. But, when it doesn’t work, means not that he doesn’t have a plan B, but that he doesn’t want to go to one.

Playing to the strengths of the current squad makes no sense if you don’t see the bulk of the current squad making the step up - then we’d just be Norwich/Watford. Throwing Dack on makes no sense because you won’t stay in the Prem by throwing Dack on. Maybe he even believes that our youngsters, who will make the step up, will learn more from the adversity of Wigan and Coventry than from booting it up to Ayala and Dacky to scab a goal.

Even lunatics think what they do makes sense, you just have to see the world as they do to figure out why. Add in the supreme confidence/arrogance he must have to have had his playing career, and you have a man who most certainly is not for turning.

He’ll be for sacking if he doesn’t wake up and smell the coffee.  Not many teams football their way out of this division. You don’t get the chance to build a team gradually these days. Your best players get stolen away before you know it.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’ll be for sacking if he doesn’t wake up and smell the coffee.  Not many teams football their way out of this division. You don’t get the chance to build a team gradually these days. Your best players get stolen away before you know it.

Not sure I agree about the sacking bit: you’d need normal owners for that, and us being second from bottom, not from top. He’s here for the long haul IMO.

• Like 2

You get to the Prem however you can you never pass up an opportunity if it's there.

Worry about staying there if and when you get there, it's been ten years and pre Jack it was 25 out of top flight. Sorry but talk of not going for it until we think we might have enough to stay up there is utter bollocks.  We aren't building a side with money so if we went up we'd unlikely be staying there anyway first time but either way we'd need big investment.