BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (h) - 13/9/22 (possibly)…

Really surprised at last nights performance. I was really worried going in to this one- thought it was going to be another Fulham.. Boys proved me wrong.  Maybe it won't be as dire a season as I thought.

Really Happy with Hyam, looks a good player, it's early days but Carter looks like a really solid option down the right- looks prone to the odd mistake, but hopefully with game time that will sort itself out.

I'm still not happy with the situation in our centre midfield though. I think we need a direct replacement for both Rothwell (ball carrier) and an experience chopper in the mould of Johnson.  Another winger that can play left and right too and I'd be much more relaxed.

In saying that, IF  we can keep our centre halves fit I think we will be in with  a chance in most games and with Gally to come back and Szmodic and Dack hopefully improving it could shape up to be a half interesting season.. A few injuries to our paper thin squad and the wheels could really fly off though..

28 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Hopefully the huge big tanker, hells bells it so big it's a juggernaut, gets a puncture tonight and the driver arrested for impersonating a football manager.

Well, Ross Stewart is injured so that's something for Mowbray to overcome.

What a shame Bradley Johnson is at MK Dons.

Outstanding last night right from minute one. I’m not going to bother repeating all the positives everyone has posted already, just a couple of “constructive” comments….

As much as I like Wharton, he has this annoying tendency to try and over play sometimes. On two occasions last night (a sloppy pass and then a header right at the end of the first half) nearly cost us a goal last night. He has history of this and needs to stamp it out. He has all the qualities to be a top quality player.

Can anyone clear up the disallowed goal for Watford? Surely not offside and odd that the linesman would flag for an infringement.

Well I didn't see that coming, best performance of the season and dominated from start to finish. For the first time this season at home I saw a team with a game plan and the intensity to match it.

It is hard to single anyone out but I think Dolan gave their backline a really tough night constantly harassing and turning over possession which I think is exactly what JDT wants from the forwards. The back 5 as well were immense and made it look easy, we looked a million times more solid than we have in recent weeks.

I was really worried so far this season but if that is the standard going forwards I will be very happy.

10 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

Outstanding last night right from minute one. I’m not going to bother repeating all the positives everyone has posted already, just a couple of “constructive” comments….

As much as I like Wharton, he has this annoying tendency to try and over play sometimes. On two occasions last night (a sloppy pass and then a header right at the end of the first half) nearly cost us a goal last night. He has history of this and needs to stamp it out. He has all the qualities to be a top quality player.

Can anyone clear up the disallowed goal for Watford? Surely not offside and odd that the linesman would flag for an infringement.

Davies / Davis was offside - he flicked the ball on to the eventual goalscorer.

16 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

The player who headed the ball down for the watford team mate to knock it into the net was in an offside position when the ball went forward in their attack. He cam back onside in moving towards the ball to make the header. The linesman's flag went up straight away signalling his initial offside position. 

For once, the officials were on point! (I'm sure Arbitro will concur!)

Have a look on the Sky highlights - it is clear once you look at the header's movement leading up to their disallowed goal... it looks like the Lineo has had a brain fart for that one 😉

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12696786/blackburn-2-0-watford-championship-highlights 

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler

32 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Really surprised at last nights performance. I was really worried going in to this one- thought it was going to be another Fulham.. Boys proved me wrong.  Maybe it won't be as dire a season as I thought.

Really Happy with Hyam, looks a good player, it's early days but Carter looks like a really solid option down the right- looks prone to the odd mistake, but hopefully with game time that will sort itself out.

I'm still not happy with the situation in our centre midfield though. I think we need a direct replacement for both Rothwell (ball carrier) and an experience chopper in the mould of Johnson.  Another winger that can play left and right too and I'd be much more relaxed.

In saying that, IF  we can keep our centre halves fit I think we will be in with  a chance in most games and with Gally to come back and Szmodic and Dack hopefully improving it could shape up to be a half interesting season.. A few injuries to our paper thin squad and the wheels could really fly off though..

The bit in bold I don't really agree with. We will probably settle into the 343 now so will have two centre midfield spots in the team. After the two who played last night we have Buckley, Adam Wharton, Edun, Garrett. All of them young players who need opportunities - if we signed a couple more experienced players it just forces them down the order. 

If they were poor young players I would have no issue signing older quality. But that is an exceptional set of young talent - I expect Edun to improve before anyone says anything. We have to back them, not freeze them out. 

I'd be happy happy enough with those options. Even if Travis gets injured/suspended I think others can step in. I dont look at those options and think "if we had an Evans, Johnson, Smallwood in the peak of their careers with Rovers we would be a better team".

On the ball carrying point for me Buckley and Adam Wharton both are players who can carry the ball forward regularly. One of the reasons I would probably go for one of them over Morton who is a bit too static for me.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

On the ball carrying point for me Buckley and Adam Wharton both are players who can carry the ball forward regularly. One of the reasons I would probably go for one of them over Morton who is a bit too static for me.

From what I've heard, JDT subscribes to the Brian Clough idea (I think it was) that running with the ball is a hell of a lot slower than passing it accurately. I'm sure he said in one post match interview that we were running with the ball too much.

Of course it's exciting when a player drives on and commits midfielders but it's not always the most effective strategy for a CM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

From what I've heard, JDT subscribes to the Brian Clough idea (I think it was) that running with the ball is a hell of a lot slower than passing it accurately. I'm sure he said in one post match interview that we were running with the ball too much.

Of course it's exciting when a player drives on and commits midfielders but it's not always the most effective strategy for a CM.

Yes, he repeats the one/two touch mantra quite often. He'd have struggled watching Rothwell!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, den said:

Travis scares the hell out of me. 

Seemingly every game, he gets himself in needless situations where he’s risking a sending off. Unless he can control that it’s going to happen - and that will cost us all. Mainly his team mates.

All teams need a player like Travis for me. We get bullied otherwise. He winds them up and never gives them a minutes rest. He has managed not to get sent off so far, so he is cute enough to know where to draw the line. Just as much chance of him getting someone else sent off imo - he got punched last night for a start. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

You need a bit of both, especially if the opposition bunch up deep and there's little space for passing. Rothwell was so good at that, committing players centrally.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

All teams need a player like Travis for me. We get bullied otherwise. He winds them up and never gives them a minutes rest. He has managed not to get sent off so far, so he is cute enough to know where to draw the line. Just as much chance of him getting someone else sent off imo - he got punched last night for a start. 

I have no problems whatsoever with tough guys on a football pitch, but I have with players just being petulant and asking for trouble. He really doesn’t need to be like that. 

Just a reflection on an otherwise excellent performance from him and the team.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You can only beat whats put in front of you RV, but yes, Watford were abysmal, they didn't have one shot in the first half that I can remember and weren't much better in the second.

I can't add much more than what has already been said to be honest, it was an all round excellent performance with Dolan showing why he's going to a player and Riverside boo boy Pickering also shutting a few up in the process too.

Rob Edwards probably wishes he was back of Forest Green right now, the Championship is a whole different ball games.

Onwards and upwards.

Ps - Our kit looks superb this season, it looks pretty damn good every season but this season in particular. 

I have no sympathy for Edwards, he did the dirty on Forest Green. That said he's walked into a fractured (if talented) dressing room and currently looks well out of his depth.

I must be one of the few that hates our kit this year (and most years with the Venkys). Our kit is reversed halves (or quarters) - it's amazing they get it wrong every year.

• Like 2

He's bound to have some frustrating games as his kind of 'loopy' style can look odd, and frustrating when he loses the ball, but Hedges is gradually turning into one of my favourite players to watch. Love his creativity.

16 minutes ago, den said:

Travis scares the hell out of me. 

Seemingly every game, he gets himself in needless situations where he’s risking a sending off. Unless he can control that it’s going to happen - and that will cost us all. Mainly his team mates.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Actually kind of remarkable that Travis has never been sent off for a second yellow in his career, and only got a straight red that time he first broke into the squad back in L1. I can't recall if he's ever missed a game for too many yellows, but he generally rides that line perfectly.

Rest easy 🙂

19 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

I’ve tried to capture a still of the offside goal (forgive my IT skills)….very very tight…..but we’ll take it 😁

52D28ECF-9E99-449A-8706-2CD3AAC9E85E.jpeg

very tough to do because you're trying to press pause at a specific moment rather than being able to go frame by frame, but he looks on there. well on.