BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (h) - 13/9/22 (possibly)…

35 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

From what I've heard, JDT subscribes to the Brian Clough idea (I think it was) that running with the ball is a hell of a lot slower than passing it accurately. I'm sure he said in one post match interview that we were running with the ball too much.

Of course it's exciting when a player drives on and commits midfielders but it's not always the most effective strategy for a CM.

There is more ways of skinning a cat and all that and if we keep on skinning them, I am happy to play with no player running at the defence.

Some great passing and moving in a few games so far and I do enjoy that type of football.

• Moderation Lead

I may be wrong, but I felt that we didn’t allow Watford to play from minute one and got under their skin. Their pampered princesses didn’t fancy the rough and tumble and they must me glad they don’t have to share a pitch with Travis for a few months! (Though I would concede he need to rein it in a touch). 
Granted, Watford didn’t play well, but I wonder how much of that is down to us not allowing them to play.

• Like 8

Watford are the type of team we'll have a great chance of beating this season. Much like Blackpool and Swansea and dare I say it.. Burnley too. They want to play out from the back. We pressed well, forced them long and our back three are going to win first contacts all day. Davis coming on made a bit more of an equal fight out of the game, but tactically we just had their number.

Teams like Bristol City, who sit in and don't try to beat the press with intricate short passing detail, they're much harder for us to handle.

22 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I was sat Row 9 of jack walker lower by away dugout and I didn’t see it but I heard him hit Travis. Shocking 

I missed it too despite being right in front of me, but thankfully the ref didn't either, as we scored from the throw in we had instead.

I think one of Tomasson's real strengths is that he can use several different formations and he isn't as rigid in his tactics. Last night it worked to perfection and as he gets used to the Championship I think we will see variety in his set up and tactics sometimes, as we did last night depending on who we play. He seems to have every players strengths and weaknesses sussed out now. Keeping clean sheets and key players free from injury is vital.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I was sat Row 9 of jack walker lower by away dugout and I didn’t see it but I heard him hit Travis. Shocking 

He was punched and a sneaky one from side/ behind, the Ref saw it too and copped out.

On another matter, Davies came from an offside position to head the ball etc etc. Linesman/Ref spot on with that one.

• Like 1

Very impressive last night and eased any potential fears that I had at the back of my mind of us being in any kind of trouble this season. 

IF we could somehow keep that back three fit for the season then I genuinely think we’d have a sniff of the play-offs. They’re that good.

We just need a bit of consistency now with both form and selection.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

I’ve tried to capture a still of the offside goal (forgive my IT skills)….very very tight…..but we’ll take it 😁

52D28ECF-9E99-449A-8706-2CD3AAC9E85E.jpeg

Their player is clearly onside in that pic, standing on the 6 yard line whilst our defender is clearly well behind it. Like I said, a brain-fart on the part of the linesman, but yes, have it!

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Watford are the type of team we'll have a great chance of beating this season. Much like Blackpool and Swansea and dare I say it.. Burnley too. They want to play out from the back. We pressed well, forced them long and our back three are going to win first contacts all day. Davis coming on made a bit more of an equal fight out of the game, but tactically we just had their number.

Teams like Bristol City, who sit in and don't try to beat the press with intricate short passing detail, they're much harder for us to handle.

I do wonder whether the Bristol City game would have been different if last nights team had been available. Luton will possibly give a better pointer.

33 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I may be wrong, but I felt that we didn’t allow Watford to play from minute one and got under their skin. Their pampered princesses didn’t fancy the rough and tumble and they must me glad they don’t have to share a pitch with Travis for a few months! (Though I would concede he need to rein it in a touch). 
Granted, Watford didn’t play well, but I wonder how much of that is down to us not allowing them to play.

Quite a lot I think.

Im not sure Watford didn’t fancy it, more that they weren’t prepared for it.

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Don’t forget to vote for your MOTM 👍🏻

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/880827/blackburn-watford

7E7C4343-2BBF-4D4D-BC96-91D0EED6F1A4.jpeg

Plenty of 8's for the players who started the game apart from Hyam who I gave MOTM and 9 out of 10 and Kaminski who I gave 7. 

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Rob Edwards probably wishes he was back of Forest Green right now; the Championship is a whole different ball game.

I think he was badly let down his players last night and how they performed for him. They have a good squad, but I don't think it's on Fulham level from last season

1 hour ago, Gaz85 said:

I’ve tried to capture a still of the offside goal (forgive my IT skills)….very very tight…..but we’ll take it 😁

52D28ECF-9E99-449A-8706-2CD3AAC9E85E.jpeg

I do would if it was offside or a foul on Rovers player. This is where some form of communicate from Officials to the fans would be welcome like they do in Rugby Union or League I believe, surely this wouldn't be hard to do?

29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think alot of it was down to how we started the game and played from minute 1. 

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

very good points Joe made they, we can press against teams like them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

From what I've heard, JDT subscribes to the Brian Clough idea (I think it was) that running with the ball is a hell of a lot slower than passing it accurately. I'm sure he said in one post match interview that we were running with the ball too much.

Brereton's game and his strength is running with the ball from deep - not sure how that fits in with the manager's philosophy

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Of course it's exciting when a player drives on and commits midfielders but it's not always the most effective strategy for a CM.

You pass the ball forward and it gets cut out, you are still between the opposition and our goal. Run forward with the ball and you get robbed, you’re no longer between the opposition and the goal. Having said that players that can carry the ball from the half way line to the opposing penalty area are murder for defenders to deal with. As we saw from time to time with Rothwell.

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Brereton's game and his strength is running with the ball from deep - not sure how that fits in with the manager's philosophy

You can usually afford to have one in the team, especially when he’s playing in the opposing half most of the time. It’s when defenders start running into traffic with the ball you have problems.

34 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Their player is clearly onside in that pic, standing on the 6 yard line whilst our defender is clearly well behind it. Like I said, a brain-fart on the part of the linesman, but yes, have it!

I no longer bother wether a “ goal “ is offside or not, at either end. They’ve made such a mess of the laws of the game that  I just take whatever decision the officials give. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I have no sympathy for Edwards, he did the dirty on Forest Green. That said he's walked into a fractured (if talented) dressing room and currently looks well out of his depth.

I must be one of the few that hates our kit this year (and most years with the Venkys). Our kit is reversed halves (or quarters) - it's amazing they get it wrong every year.

I agree about the kit. We haven’t had a good one for years in my opinion.

2 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Great performance. Really impressed with Hedges, turning into a great signing. Hyam, likewise. Nice to see us steal a decent quality player from a championship rival. 

Thought we could have been more proactive with the subs given that Dolan and BBD looked shot with 10 to go. 

We were tiring in the last 20 minutes and it showed, passes going astray probably due to tired legs. I agree fresh legs for the last 20 minutes would have been ideal.

Just now, RoversTilliDie said:

We were tiring in the last 20 minutes and it showed, passes going astray probably due to tired legs. I agree fresh legs for the last 20 minutes would have been ideal.

It’s a hard one to call when it’s only 1-0. I used to say “ You never get tired as long as you’re winning “. Take somebody off and you lose your shape, concede an equaliser, and it’s “ Why did we make the subs “.

We won 2-0, so he got it right.

• Like 4

We pressed well last night and made a good Watford side look very ordinary. I said to those around me that at the end of the first half they looked completely disinterested even bereft. I think we made them look that rather then them having an off day.

Hedges was mustard and fully deserved his MOTM award. BBD looked off it to me and he and Pickering didn't seem to gel well together. When Pickering did get the ball through to him Ben seemed unable to really bring the ball under his spell.

Dolan was his usual hardworking self and presumably started for merit after his decent cameo vs Bristol City. His pressing and harrying are incredibly useful and help us squeeze much further up the pitch.

Travis also played very well last night and as always looked much better in the middle. Morton also coming to the fore. I am a HUGE fan of Buckley but he will quite rightly need to step up if he wants to get back in the side. His time will come but he will need to take the opportunity.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

They didn't play well because Rovers played their best football of the season. They looked a worried team every time we got in their half. Fantastic performance from Ryan Hedges, just what we need when BBD doesn't find the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

Travis scares the hell out of me. 

Seemingly every game, he gets himself in needless situations where he’s risking a sending off. Unless he can control that it’s going to happen - and that will cost us all. Mainly his team mates.

How many red cards has he had in his career?

• Like 2