BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 15/10/22

11 minutes ago, BigBar said:

That's not true, you can be a consistent championship player but not quite prem level. His form recently has been poor, he may struggle to get his place back after this suspension and has made it easy for JDT now not having to drop him. I still have faith in him but be interesting to see how someone else fairs in there but we don't have many options.

As someone said earlier. A Wharton is just as good defensively & is 5x the player moving forward.

Can see Buckley coming in. Feel Buckley will suit better along side A Wharton & Morton. 
To be clear to others, I think Travis is half decent. But watching him these past few games is changing my mind a little. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

Travis was far better today in a midfield three and pretty much did the basics and ugly stuff. Asking him to do something he isn't too good at really weakens us but he protected the centre backs well today and left the more skilful stuff to the two artisans alongside him. 

We will have to do without him on Tuesday as he is suspended following another silly booking today.

He was always struggling after the yellow. He constantly checked himself when going for challenges & his effectiveness was impacted as a result.

It will be interesting to see if he becomes one of those players whose reputation improves by not being in the team on Tuesday 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I wonder whether he’ll bring Buckley in from the cold, a three of Morton, Buckley and Adam Wharton is talented and exciting if not a little lightweight.

Alternatively, he could bring in Garrett whose hard, combative style might end up impressing the manager and doing to Travis what Travis did to Smallwood! Oust him! No doubt, Trav has been poor this season, so…let’s see.

Tuesday will be interesting. My gut tells me he’ll start Szmodics tbf.

Personally I think Garratt would bring more to the team than Buckley. He was outstanding in the Wolfsburg match last week. I also believe he is an upgrade on Travis. I've no doubt some wouldn't be happy about three teenagers in midfield but I have no fears in that respect.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, J*B said:

Agreed, which is why I’m disappointed Lenihan seemingly got 95 minutes of abuse from the Rovers fans today. I get light hearted mocking but it sounds like he got it big time today. 

That’s a man that spent 9 years of his career here, had the option to move earlier for more money and didn’t kick up too much of a stink, is a well respected captain and is liked at Brockhall, especially at the academy for which he did much more than he needed to.

He got to the age of a last big contract of his career and chose the most money, for a manager that tried to sign him before and really wanted him. And we’ve seemingly replaced him with someone at least as good!

Sometimes I despair, I really do. 

Ffs he got some chants about he should have stayed at the rovers, it was nothing more than a bit of banter. Good riddance too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Rubbish ALL 3 made their own decisions to leave!!

Well Broughton himself has made reference to this episode and vowed the Club will henceforth do better!

And , of course, all 3 made their own decisions Sherlock.

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

No to Buckley, he's had too many chances. Be interesting to see Garrett get a go, surely he would take great confidence from the opportunity A Wharton and Phillips have got. Is Garrett good enough in your view?

There’s also Edun and Mola in contention for the Travis role. Maybe Garrett will start ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, all you need is duff said:

I thought the 5-3-2 formation suited us well today. I would like to see it more often. The only issue I had was that JDT didn’t really pick the right bench to make changes and stick with that formation. I thought Buckley and Hirst would have been better subs than Dolan and Szmodics for more like for like changes. Quality result though! 

Yeah I tend to agree, though we had Garrett and Dack on the bench who could have been slotted into the middle three. Up front  Szmodics did pretty well but thought Dolan had very little opportunity, and the couple he did get he made some wrong decisions.

During the second half Kaminski was kicking it long to Dolan which is absolutely mad.

For my money we should have brought Garrett on for Travis around 60 mins as after the yellow he was out of the game, and Dack on for A Wharton similar sort of time. When we reverted to three forwards we were absolutely hopeless. Hedges and Szmodics could have come on to play in a two up front, Hedges would have kept some physicality there once Gally and Brereton were off.

We need to stick with and develop the 352, and that means good opportunities coming for Garrett, a chance for Buckley to get in, and hopefully Dack to get a look in too.

Up front we are over staffed so we need to start thinking who we will move on. 

10 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Sorry to repeat myself but Lewis Travis was the worst player on the pitch AGAIN for us today. Hoping we carry on a link of Wharton & Morton to support, otherwise he’s lost. 

Hes slow, looses the ball Way to often and a liability. 

Captaincy should go to the kaminksi or Hyam.

He's been poor this season but step forward John Buckley. Could it be that Buckley is suffering from not having a midfield partner who is better on the ball now that Rothwell has left? 

I'd be very keen to see a midfield 3 of Buckley, Morton and Wharton. Our 3 most comfortable ball players all of whom are capable of incisive forward passes. Those 3 in the middle I could really see us dominating games and creating chances.

Gally and Diaz up top. Brittain on the right Pickering on the left. 

One other thing that has stood out for me. What a signing Dom Hyam has been. He's an outstanding defender, so reliable and holds our back 3 together. 

• Like 7

• J*B unpinned this topic
11 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

One other thing that has stood out for me. What a signing Dom Hyam has been. He's an outstanding defender, so reliable and holds our back 3 together. 

Agreed, wasn't sure about the signing initially, purely because I knew little about him, but he's turned put to be a real asset.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

He's been poor this season but step forward John Buckley. Could it be that Buckley is suffering from not having a midfield partner who is better on the ball now that Rothwell has left? 

I'd be very keen to see a midfield 3 of Buckley, Morton and Wharton. Our 3 most comfortable ball players all of whom are capable of incisive forward passes. Those 3 in the middle I could really see us dominating games and creating chances.

Gally and Diaz up top. Brittain on the right Pickering on the left. 

100%.
Certain players performances rely on who they play with, Rothwell leaving left a massive hole on the attacking front in midfield. A Wharton defiantly fills that so does Morton to a certain extent.

Buckley & Travis duo doesn’t work…For me, it’s a blessing in disguise that Travis misses Tuesday. Gives us a chance to see a different linkup… Buckley I feel will blossom with the likes of Wharton & Morton. 

It may come that maybe we miss Travis defensiveness on Tuesday, as in the end it’s all about Balance. However, if Buckley wants a future under JDT, he HAS to perform on Tuesday….I personally think he will.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Well Broughton himself has made reference to this episode and vowed the Club will henceforth do better!

And , of course, all 3 made their own decisions Sherlock.

And your point is what exactly ? All 3 had offers long before they ran out 2 agreed their deals - 1 was about to sign but then had his head turned with ambitious chat from a smarmy manager who is now unemployed and who breathed ambition as his sweet talk! Another came crawling back after realising the offer was actually better than he believed as not a single offer was made to him on the day so of his then advisor he stalled due to an unknown reason and at that point the club pulled the deal which was exactly the right thing to do ! As for player 3 he had wanted out due to his wag creating and falling out with others and wanted a return south he was never going to sign a deal! So all in all nothing can be blamed on the club 2 players had deals on the table for over 2 years and all that in uncertain economic times!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Szmodics deserves a lot of credit yesterday, he was superb despite the goons on here writing him off, his work ethic indicative to why he was signed. 

Great to hear this. 

33 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

What a signing Dom Hyam has been. He's an outstanding defender, so reliable and holds our back 3 together. 

Yes, he has been a good signing and yesterday he got 2 assists. Plus lead the backline. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

100%.
Certain players performances rely on who they play with, Rothwell leaving left a massive hole on the attacking front in midfield. A Wharton defiantly fills that so does Morton to a certain extent.

Buckley & Travis duo doesn’t work…For me, it’s a blessing in disguise that Travis misses Tuesday. Gives us a chance to see a different linkup… Buckley I feel will blossom with the likes of Wharton & Morton. 

It may come that maybe we miss Travis defensiveness on Tuesday, as in the end it’s all about Balance. However, if Buckley wants a future under JDT, he HAS to perform on Tuesday….I personally think he will.

I like Buckley but I don’t believe in rewarding failure. He’s had several chances this season to grab a shirt and he’s failed every time. I’d have him on the bench but we need to look elsewhere on Tuesday. The only thing he’s got going for him is he’s more experienced than the other players in the frame.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Isn't it amazing how playing a striker up front and playing a long ball up field towards him can create a goal.

Everything about it was first rate.

I remember watching Forest playing a German team in the European Cup years ago. It was a real arm wrestle with both teams playing really well. The Germans in particular were defending brilliantly and had a answer to all the football Forest were playing.

With about 5 minutes left the score was still 0-0 when one of the Forest centre halves fired a long ball down field. The two German centre halves had been magnificent all night but they got in a tangle over this ball and left it to each other. A Forest striker nipped in behind them and slotted the ball past the keeper to win the tie 1-0. All that brilliant defending but a straight forward long pass won the game.

26 minutes ago, booth said:

I woke up thinking Sam Gallagher scored a Shearer style wonder goal to win 3 points yesterday. Nah, that didn’t happen, must have dreamt it.

Then I remembered it actually happened. Where did that come from?

He’s hit one or two like that in the past but you need to be in that position to hit them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s hit one or two like that in the past but you need to be in that position to hit them.

He scored a similar one against Boro last season I think? We really are a pain in the backside for them, we're like Wigan are to us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

And your point is what exactly ? All 3 had offers long before they ran out 2 agreed their deals - 1 was about to sign but then had his head turned with ambitious chat from a smarmy manager who is now unemployed and who breathed ambition as his sweet talk! Another came crawling back after realising the offer was actually better than he believed as not a single offer was made to him on the day so of his then advisor he stalled due to an unknown reason and at that point the club pulled the deal which was exactly the right thing to do ! As for player 3 he had wanted out due to his wag creating and falling out with others and wanted a return south he was never going to sign a deal! So all in all nothing can be blamed on the club 2 players had deals on the table for over 2 years and all that in uncertain economic times!!

I'm not going to waste any more time on you. All the points have been made before. When have you ever had any criticism to make of the Club? Ever? Supporters aren't people who just suck up any old crap, they want their club to be the best it can be.

That's positive not negative.

Anyway seems like you disagree with Broughton so square off that circle!