BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 15/10/22

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

When he was in the mood Rothwell was a dangerous attacking player. No many players have the ability to take the ball past opponents from deep. I'd like to have seen him play at Ewood under a different manager who either believed in him more or was prepared to crack the whip. We'll never know now but on his day when he's playing well he's been missed

A different manager from the one who brought him in from League 1, made him a fixture in central midfield, and saw him leave for a PL club? I struggle to think of how another manager could have had a more positive impact on Rothwell's career than Mowbray did. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Two very different cases and no one is ‘rotting in the reserves’. The manager has proven with the likes of SS that if you train well, listen to him and play well in the 21’s you’ll get a chance… Dack obv isn’t wanted, something he’s putting out there or not doing me thinks? Markanday is a young player who I’ve no doubt will get a chance when he’s ready and Dolans assists and goal contributions are probably the highest in the squad.

I would say, other than Dack, who the manager isn’t having, the rest (Carter, Markanday, Buckley, Edun and Vale. Maybe even Leonard) will get ample opportunities to shine this season. Don’t forget…he also watches them train everyday too.

If dack isn’t rotting in the reserves then I don’t know what is. 
markanday is banging them in for the reserves yet doesn’t get near the first 11. Seems to me very much that it doesn’t matter what your doing in these games, he has his favourites that he will stick with. There has been a good few games that some new ideas would have been beneficial but we didn’t do it and ended up losing 

• Like 1

Dack would have been an excellent addition to the squad in some of the games we lost. When the midfield were struggling we really needed something different. He offers something that nobody else does.

I would also like to see Markanday have a run out as well.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BigBar said:

No to Buckley, he's had too many chances. Be interesting to see Garrett get a go, surely he would take great confidence from the opportunity A Wharton and Phillips have got. Is Garrett good enough in your view?

I thought he was brilliant in preseason - very similar to Travis in style. Not a silky as Wharton…but who knows?

fwiw I’d play Buckley. He’s a top player who has a tough time of late and might benefit from a confidence boost.Him, Wharton and Trav are the future CM stronghold of our club imo. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 47er said:

but but but--- they were all worth something! Tell me which other Championship let 3 regulars go for nothing!

its nothing to do with whether we adequately replaced them or not.

2 were from inside the club and didn't cost a penny whilst Rothwell was a free so again didn't cost anything!

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

2 were from inside the club and didn't cost a penny whilst Rothwell was a free so again didn't cost anything!

The point that you seem to miss is that the club didn't sort out the situation earlier when they should have done. 

As you point out constantly, nobody can force the players to sign. And I think that's great, they should be allowed to make their own decisions. However, if they do refuse to sign then get them in the shop window so we can get something for them then we can replace them easier. Many, many, many other clubs have figured this out but once again the people running Blackburn Rovers have yet to get their heads around this simple concept.

• Like 1

Delighted with the win. In the first half we finally did what so many called for - get another body in midfield (much easier to keep possession when there are more than 2 options in there, previously we had 2 options who were both marked and it was all very easily telegraphed). We also finally played with a proper striker, and the results were fantastic. Hopefully puts to bed the Gallagher on the wing/false 9 nonsense, at least for a while.

2nd half was all hands on deck but probably just inexperience. We created more in the first half than we did in the last 3 aways combined. 

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Dack would have been an excellent addition to the squad in some of the games we lost. When the midfield were struggling we really needed something different. He offers something that nobody else does.

Get down to watch the U21s if you want to see Markanday play. Because with the way he is performing (for the whole game), he won't be making the first team any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

The point that you seem to miss is that the club didn't sort out the situation earlier when they should have done. 

As you point out constantly, nobody can force the players to sign. And I think that's great, they should be allowed to make their own decisions. However, if they do refuse to sign then get them in the shop window so we can get something for them then we can replace them easier. Many, many, many other clubs have figured this out but once again the people running Blackburn Rovers have yet to get their heads around this simple concept.

I understand completely but a point a lot are missing is that Rothwell aside not a single club came in for either Lenihan or Nyambe over the past 3 seasons which emphasis the point about players thinking they are worth more or better than they actually are.

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

If dack isn’t rotting in the reserves then I don’t know what is. 
markanday is banging them in for the reserves yet doesn’t get near the first 11. Seems to me very much that it doesn’t matter what your doing in these games, he has his favourites that he will stick with. There has been a good few games that some new ideas would have been beneficial but we didn’t do it and ended up losing 

Dack has played in 9 championship games and total of 389 mins so that is hardly rotting in the reserves

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

so, who you dropping to play both of them? 

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

I understand completely but a point a lot are missing is that Rothwell aside not a single club came in for either Lenihan or Nyambe over the past 3 seasons which emphasis the point about players thinking they are worth more or better than they actually are.

We don't know if anyone came in for either player. Although the Lancashire Telegraph did report that Stoke came in for Nyambe the summer before last:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20226340.blackburn-rovers-ryan-nyambe-contract-saga-rumbles/

"Stoke City tried to sign Nyambe on a permanent deal last summer, but Rovers rejected their advances."

So assuming that is true, that is 3 out of 4 (as far as we are aware, maybe there was interest in Lenihan) in regards to players that we have actively chosen to turn down money for, probably costing the club £15m, in favour of letting them all go for free.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2022 at 06:56, 47er said:

I'm sure this has been discussed earlier but that save from Kaminski! Can't get over it. Their player was so close to Kaminski that it just doesn't seem possible for him to get a strong hand on it in the fraction of a second he had.

One of the best I have ever seen at any level.

Sobering to think we'd have come away with a draw without it. We really must take more of our chances.

I spoke to my Boro supporting mate about the game. He said it will be the save of the season. 

He also said that Rovers completely dominated and should have been 3 or 4 up before Whatmore's goal. He did acknowledge that Rovers were the better team and a win was a fair result.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

3 wrongs don't make a right.

Pure profit vital to FFP to be had here even for one modest fee, it was a fuck up in the end to see all 3 in the same boat. No amount of trying to gloss it over and place blame on all three players with a one size fits all excuse will alter that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

3 wrongs don't make a right.

Pure profit vital to FFP to be had here even for one modest fee, it was a fuck up in the end to see all 3 in the same boat. No amount of trying to gloss it over and place blame on all three players with a one size fits all excuse will alter that.

TP it happens across the football spectrum not just at Ewood

35 minutes ago, 47er said:

Which Championship club lost 3 regular players last summer?

If I understand you correctly: you think they should have been sold Summer 2021? In which case either Mowbray would have spent the money on replacements - negating any FFP benefit of selling them - or they wouldn’t have given him the money. Either way, I think we would’ve ended up with a weaker team, especially defence, and any FFP benefit while ToMo was around would most likely have resulted in the owners just pumping in less, leaving us no better off.

23 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I get football is all about opinions but this is pretty silly. Chelsea should let Mount and James go for free because they came through the ranks and cost nothing? Or TAA from Liverpool. Maybe the Wharton lads should be allowed to run down their contract? Terrible logic.

Also given the fees we paid for Brittan and Hyam and SS it clearly did cost us something to replace them. I mean they literally cost fees. Two of the three literally are like for like replacements. To say it doesn't cost us anything is a denial of reality. 

I'd also question the issue that no one wanted them on a number of fronts. Most pertinently though we wanted them, hence the contract offers and we didn't get them, so it's hardly like it's no loss given that we wanted them to stay. 

I also have doubts there's any club who lost so much of their team for free but haven't any stats to hand. Mind you that doesn't really matter as when you are going to make up straw man arguments like costing us nothing.

I'm afraid on this one it's pretty undisputable the club dropped a clanger. 

• Like 7