BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 15/10/22

Good 3 points away from home, especially as we have often struggled against the struggling sides.

3 in midfield key and 2 upfront, much better, should stick with that on Tuesday.

Phillips exciting potential but I’d give Carter the nod ahead of him at this stage.

Looking like Dack is going to have to dig deep to get a chance.

Roll on Tuesday.

Sorry to repeat myself but Lewis Travis was the worst player on the pitch AGAIN for us today. Hoping we carry on a link of Wharton & Morton to support, otherwise he’s lost. 

Hes slow, looses the ball Way to often and a liability. 

Captaincy should go to the kaminksi or Hyam.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 7

5-3-2 worked really well. Certain matches suit a 3/5 back and today was certainly one of them. Tuesday vs Tony will be really interesting, we know what he's all about but Sunderland have some decent players. Great to win, would happily take a boring 0-0 to get rid of the WLWL hoodoo.

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Excellent point.

The world was imploding at one point, if you listened to the noises from some quarters - even after we'd done our business.

But on these two in particular, they are both clear upgrades.

And, for what it's worth, I'd rather have A.Wharton over Rothwell every day of the week.

I think you and others are forgetting the crucial point----mismanagement meant that all 3 of our wantaways went for NOTHING!

We could have used the money we got for them to buy the better replacements leaving us cash to invest elsewhere in the squad.

Then we would truly have been laughing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think you and others are forgetting the crucial point----mismanagement meant that all 3 of our wantaways went for NOTHING!

We could have used the money we got for them to buy the better replacements leaving us cash to invest elsewhere in the squad.

But it happened, moaning about it won't change that fact. Let's hope that the club has learnt from it.

13 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Sorry to repeat myself but Lewis Travis was the worst player on the pitch AGAIN for us today. Hoping we carry on a link of Wharton & Morton to support, otherwise he’s lost. 

I think he’ll get found out eventually but we need someone honest and willing to come in as enforcer/protector. Too much backward passes for my liking, frustrated the hell out of me versus Wigan. 

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think he’ll get found out eventually but we need someone honest and willing to come in as enforcer/protector. Too much backward passes for my liking, frustrated the hell out of me versus Wigan. 

Hopefully…. I can’t believe how bad he’s been, & the fact he’s captain he seems to get brushed under the carpet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

But it happened, moaning about it won't change that fact. Let's hope that the club has learnt from it.

I'm not so much moaning about it as criticising those who think it was all OK because we signed better replacements!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Travis was far better today in a midfield three and pretty much did the basics and ugly stuff. Asking him to do something he isn't too good at really weakens us but he protected the centre backs well today and left the more skilful stuff to the two artisans alongside him. 

We will have to do without him on Tuesday as he is suspended following another silly booking today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Wharton is just as good a ball winner as Travis and has 10 times more ability.  Travis should be a sub at best 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, toogs said:

Half of our games Travis has been quite good. The other half hes been a bit shit. What do you expect of him?  If he was good all the time, hed be playing in the prem. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Personally think best to keep Travis in front of the back 3 or 5.. and have Wharton / Morton in front of him.. dont think he's got the legs to do much else, keep him to tackle and protect the back line and allow others to play / box to box / dribble etc 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

5-3-2 worked really well. Certain matches suit a 3/5 back and today was certainly one of them. Tuesday vs Tony will be really interesting, we know what he's all about but Sunderland have some decent players. Great to win, would happily take a boring 0-0 to get rid of the WLWL hoodoo.

I wouldn't consider it a hoodoo. Over a season that comes to 69 points, which is sometimes enough for the playoffs. I'd probably take that right now (all innuendos about 69 aside).

• Like 1

Always happy for the win but you know a shocker of a performance is coming next, until that stops it’s hard to get overly excited. 

dack and markanday must despair at seeing Dolan ahead of them in the pecking order. I imagine both will be away soonish, too good to be rotting in the ressies, don’t blame them 

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Travis was far better today in a midfield three and pretty much did the basics and ugly stuff. Asking him to do something he isn't too good at really weakens us but he protected the centre backs well today and left the more skilful stuff to the two artisans alongside him. 

We will have to do without him on Tuesday as he is suspended following another silly booking today.

I wonder whether he’ll bring Buckley in from the cold, a three of Morton, Buckley and Adam Wharton is talented and exciting if not a little lightweight.

Alternatively, he could bring in Garrett whose hard, combative style might end up impressing the manager and doing to Travis what Travis did to Smallwood! Oust him! No doubt, Trav has been poor this season, so…let’s see.

Tuesday will be interesting. My gut tells me he’ll start Szmodics tbf.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Always happy for the win but you know a shocker of a performance is coming next, until that stops it’s hard to get overly excited. 

dack and markanday must despair at seeing Dolan ahead of them in the pecking order. I imagine both will be away soonish, too good to be rotting in the ressies, don’t blame them 

Two very different cases and no one is ‘rotting in the reserves’. The manager has proven with the likes of SS that if you train well, listen to him and play well in the 21’s you’ll get a chance… Dack obv isn’t wanted, something he’s putting out there or not doing me thinks? Markanday is a young player who I’ve no doubt will get a chance when he’s ready and Dolans assists and goal contributions are probably the highest in the squad.

I would say, other than Dack, who the manager isn’t having, the rest (Carter, Markanday, Buckley, Edun and Vale. Maybe even Leonard) will get ample opportunities to shine this season. Don’t forget…he also watches them train everyday too.

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Rubbish ALL 3 made their own decisions to leave!!

7 hours ago, toogs said:

Half of our games Travis has been quite good. The other half hes been a bit shit. What do you expect of him?  If he was good all the time, hed be playing in the prem. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's not true, you can be a consistent championship player but not quite prem level. His form recently has been poor, he may struggle to get his place back after this suspension and has made it easy for JDT now not having to drop him. I still have faith in him but be interesting to see how someone else fairs in there but we don't have many options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I wonder whether he’ll bring Buckley in from the cold, a three of Morton, Buckley and Adam Wharton is talented and exciting if not a little lightweight.

Alternatively, he could bring in Garrett whose hard, combative style might end up impressing the manager and doing to Travis what Travis did to Smallwood! Oust him! No doubt, Trav has been poor this season, so…let’s see.

Tuesday will be interesting. My gut tells me he’ll start Szmodics tbf.

No to Buckley, he's had too many chances. Be interesting to see Garrett get a go, surely he would take great confidence from the opportunity A Wharton and Phillips have got. Is Garrett good enough in your view?

• Like 2