BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

4 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not sure I understand why Sam Allardyce (35% win record) is venerated for his ability to grind out results whereas JDT (64% win record) is lucky, naive, still learning, suicidal etc etc

Our back 5, when we defend a lead, is as strong a line up as I can remember - hardly a mistake in them. The way we seamlessly switch formation to defend a lead shows how well drilled everyone is. Even Kaminski, with his amateur Sunday league coach, is miles better this season. 14 leads seen through to 14 wins is a staggering statistic.

Yet when we've never been able to come back after going behind IIRC.  The defence is miles better this season but you have to admit we ride our luck at times. 

• Like 2

Not sure if I'm in the Minority, but the first thing I would be doing in January is looking for a new cm. 

Travis is so poor. slow and clumsy in posession. 

Every time he drops deep to get the ball he either loses it or does a terrible pass that puts us under pressure. 

Don't think morton is that much better either 

Also the less said about dolan and Vale the better. Was like playing with 9 men. 

How these 2 get on in front of dack or Buckley is beyond a joke

Edited by Rochdale_rover
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Yet when we've never been able to come back after going behind IIRC.  The defence is miles better this season but you have to admit we ride our luck at times. 

We defend really well when we set out to, nothing lucky about that - everyone knows their job. Huddersfield had one shot on target - easily saved - and a half chance, they didn’t deserve anything from the game given Diaz missed two one-on-ones easier than the one he scored.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Not sure if I'm in the Minority, but the first thing I would be doing in January is looking for a new cm. 

Travis is so poor. slow and clumsy in posession. 

Every time he drops deep to get the ball he either loses it or does a terrible pass that puts us under pressure. 

Don't think morton is that much better either 

Also the less said about dolan and Vale the better. Was like playing with 9 men. 

How these 2 get on in front of dack or Buckley is beyond a joke

i have to admit,morton is`nt as good as i thought he`d be,he certainly is no harvey elliot,travis is ok,good solid player who gets stuck in

• Like 1

Think JDT has spoiled some of you fellas… 5 wins in 6 and a chance to go top of the tree next weekend. The back 5 were magnificent last 20 mins, did they have a shot? Can’t believe what I’m seeing this season, unbelievable stuff.

2 hours ago, Mr. E said:

The game is about winning, but such a massive amount of our ability to score goals depends on Brereton that we will be in a terrifying position if we lose him for whatever reason. Gally is doing well this season but the other strikers are miles off. 

If you take the best striker in the league out of any team they'll be worse off...

If we are to build on our excellent, if somewhat fortuitous, start to the season, we need at least two quality additions to our team.

Firstly, a midfield general who can boss the game.  Sadly, IMO, Travis is a busted flush - from a player who promised plenty when Mowbray was forced to play him (about to go out on loan until injuries forced Mowbray's hand), he has regressed into a liability who offers virtually nothing; a Jason Lowe without an engine.

Secondly, a striker who can score goals!  Gallagher is the best of, IMO, a p1ss poor bunch and that isn't saying a lot.  Vale, just 1 goal in almost 30 games for Halifax, Rochdale and Rovers is only marginally better than Hirst who has yet to net in some 40 Championship games!  Whoever signed Hirst and gave Vale a new lucrative contract really doesn't understand football and wants firing.

Think it's obvious Dack is done with Rovers but I would take a 25% Dack over a 100% Vale or Hirst any day you wish to name.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

If we can get another twenty  rubbish performances like today, with the same results, I will be happy.

How many sides have ever performed rubbish for 20 games and won every one of them? None. Perform like that and you get beat (much) more often than not

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If we are to build on our excellent, if somewhat fortuitous, start to the season, we need at least two quality additions to our team.

Firstly, a midfield general who can boss the game.  Sadly, IMO, Travis is a busted flush - from a player who promised plenty when Mowbray was forced to play him (about to go out on loan until injuries forced Mowbray's hand), he has regressed into a liability who offers virtually nothing; a Jason Lowe without an engine.

Secondly, a striker who can score goals!  Gallagher is the best of, IMO, a p1ss poor bunch and that isn't saying a lot.  Vale, just 1 goal in almost 30 games for Halifax, Rochdale and Rovers is only marginally better than Hirst who has yet to net in some 40 Championship games!  Whoever signed Hirst and gave Vale a new lucrative contract really doesn't understand football and wants firing.

Think it's obvious Dack is done with Rovers but I would take a 25% Dack over a 100% Vale or Hirst any day you wish to name.

Give over, Lowe couldn't lace Travis' boots. As for the 'without an engine' comment, I think A. Wharton is a vastly superior player to Travis, but I bet Lewis destroys him in any sort of fitness challenge. 

The problem with Travis is that he had the creativity hammered out of him by Mowbray who wanted him to be another Smallwood - a midfield destroyer. At his best he's a box-to-box CM, i.e. he's a runner who can tackle and support. What he's not, nor will ever be, is a passer - which is what JDT wants his CMs to do. 

We desperately need another CF, someone with power and pace who can hurt teams on the break / chase balls down in the channels and generally just put the fear of god into teams.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Firstly, a midfield general who can boss the game.  Sadly, IMO, Travis is a busted flush - ; a Jason Lowe without an engine.

When he belted that shot over I immediately thought of Lowe.  He doesn't fit into JDT pattern and I hope he's replaced by a better CM.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

When he belted that shot over I immediately thought of Lowe.  He doesn't fit into JDT pattern and I hope he's replaced by a better CM.

Travis and Lowe shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence, Lowe is the worst player I’ve ever seen play for Rovers. It’s just revisionist to say they are comparable.

• Like 5

It is a real difficult watch but we’re second and it’s a built team not a bought one. If you have nothing to work with  other than cheap buys and kids discipline and organisation is not a bad starting point. 
The old cry of defenders are coming is now there here• Nothing wrong in building from the back and  being organised and I never feel like we’ll surrender a lead. It has come at a price in terms of entertainment and the ability to adjust when we go behind.

I much prefer  to go into Sunday with the above  than under the previous regimes philosophy.
Can we win yes. I’m excited already and there’s a week to go.

• Like 1

Travis is a professional footballer without a left foot, he is so weak on it that he uses the outside of his right for what should be simple left footed passes. A few times today it left him off balance and disrupted the flow. No doubt about it he's an extremely limited footballer. Entirely one footed, no vision, terrible range of passing, can't really shoot, hides when we're on the ball and only receives it if he's in a nothing position to do nothing with it.

What he can do is tackle, run around a bit, break up play and pick up some useful yellow cards.

A better centre mid has to be on the shopping list.

• Like 2

Opinion that will go down like a lead balloon -

If we could find a new good left back from somewhere I'd be half tempted to try Pickering in midfield - he's got a great range of passing and can tackle, but against a fast winger he's just too slow and gets minced. He's been one of our better players this season and he'd be less exposed on the left of a midfield three.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Opinion that will go down like a lead balloon -

If we could find a new good left back from somewhere I'd be half tempted to try Pickering in midfield - he's got a great range of passing and can tackle, but against a fast winger he's just too slow and gets minced. He's been one of our better players this season and he'd be less exposed on the left of a midfield three.

Gianoullis at Norwich doesn't always get a game...quick and with Premier league experience.....wonder if Greggy Boy knows him.

• Like 1