BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s all about how much ambition as a club we have,3rd in the league is a proper time to spend some cash in january to push on,do venkys and swag really want to though,the indians are clueless and swag is a muppet,myself im`e not getting excited,this is rovers under venkys😰

Considering we made a "profit" last year there's no excuses on the FFP.

51 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Considering we made a "profit" last year there's no excuses on the FFP.

We made something like 2 million after selling our training ground and a 15 million playing asset. Neither is the case this season, so you would think losses this season will be substantial, and the 2 mill profit will hardly make a dent in that and previous season's losses.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Our first 11 is competitive but beyond that we are extremely weak in terms of quality, not numbers. If we had to play Edun/Mola at left back or Garrett in central midfield for an extended period of time, do you think we would remain competitive for a top 6 place?

We will have to agree to disagree. I think we should add 1 or 2 players in January whilst you want at least 4 signings. 

The ~£2.7m profit (that 'profit' might be a bit better when the actual Rovers accounts come out later) certainly gives some breathing room within the current 3-year FFP cycle.

Our operating losses look to be around £20m/y of late. FFP allows £39m over 3 years, so £13m/y, but that's probably more like £16m/y (£48m) when you factor in exemptions for spend on the Academy, community, ladies' football, etc.

So, a £2.7m profit for 21-22 suggests that we could lose a total of ~£45m this year and next, i.e., an extra ~£3m per year relative to our 'baseline' operating losses of £20m, but you still have to be ready for that £2.7m profit dropping out of the 3-year cycle.

For example, suppose we run losses of £23m this year and next (so, no major asset sales). We'd then need a profit of £3m in 2024-25. So, money can probably be spent today (some of which has already been spent on Hyam, Szmodics, and Brittain, plus potentially spent on Hirst and Mola...), but an eye still needs to be kept on what we'd do at that cliff edge when the Armstrong and STC sales drop out.

(Note this all may be moot given speculation about FFP changes, salary caps, etc!)

There's also some complications with the Covid-related reprieves. I think they're taking an average of 2020-21/2021-22 losses for one year, plus allowing some Covid-related losses... don't have time to work that out myself!

Side note: thought it was interesting/surprising that we're apparently getting £462k from the Magloire and Stergiakis sales. Magloire did apparently impress while on loan at Northampton, and maybe we did get some sort of fee for Stergiakis...

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

The ~£2.7m profit (that 'profit' might be a bit better when the actual Rovers accounts come out later) certainly gives some breathing room within the current 3-year FFP cycle.

Our operating losses look to be around £20m/y of late. FFP allows £39m over 3 years, so £13m/y, but that's probably more like £16m/y (£48m) when you factor in exemptions for spend on the Academy, community, ladies' football, etc.

So, a £2.7m profit for 21-22 suggests that we could lose a total of ~£45m this year and next, i.e., an extra ~£3m per year relative to our 'baseline' operating losses of £20m, but you still have to be ready for that £2.7m profit dropping out of the 3-year cycle.

For example, suppose we run losses of £23m this year and next (so, no major asset sales). We'd then need a profit of £3m in 2024-25. So, money can probably be spent today (some of which has already been spent on Hyam, Szmodics, and Brittain, plus potentially spent on Hirst and Mola...), but an eye still needs to be kept on what we'd do at that cliff edge when the Armstrong and STC sales drop out.

(Note this all may be moot given speculation about FFP changes, salary caps, etc!)

There's also some complications with the Covid-related reprieves. I think they're taking an average of 2020-21/2021-22 losses for one year, plus allowing some Covid-related losses... don't have time to work that out myself!

Side note: thought it was interesting/surprising that we're apparently getting £462k from the Magloire and Stergiakis sales. Magloire did apparently impress while on loan at Northampton, and maybe we did get some sort of fee for Stergiakis...

Exactly what I was thinking....

5 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Someone on LT comments saying we're signing Van Hecke for £350k in Jan and Dembele is on his way too. 

It's like Tony never left...

I'd love to know what they've been smoking if they think we'll get JPvH for that amount. Wouldn't be surprised if dembele rocks up tho.

35 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I'd love to know what they've been smoking if they think we'll get JPvH for that amount. Wouldn't be surprised if dembele rocks up tho.

Don't think the fee will be that low but it won't take mega money to get him considering he out of contract at the end of the season and he isn't getting a look in at Brighton

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

It would probably cost that amount to loan him that figure is an absolute fantasy in terms of transfer fee.

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It would probably cost that amount to loan him that figure is an absolute fantasy in terms of transfer fee.

Out of contract at the end of the season.Dont think the fee be quite that low but how much you think Brighton be looking for?A couple of million at best they will get 

Van Hecke doesn't play in a priority position, however we know he's quality, has a fondness for the club, will be available at a reasonable price and is young. It's a no brainer. Him and Hyam would be mainstays of our side for years to come. Good resale value too.

If Brittain could stay fit I'd argue that Kaminski, Brittain, Hyam and JpvH are all promotion quality players.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, if he wants to persist with playing it out from the back then he needs to let a considerable chunk of our team go!

he needs to ask swag and mama venky for 50 million quid as well,thats what it will cost to make the system work effectively,good players ar`nt cheap,even **** players cost money these days

34 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he needs to ask swag and mama venky for 50 million quid as well,thats what it will cost to make the system work effectively,good players ar`nt cheap,even **** players cost money these days

Even if he got 50 mill to spend, it would only mean we failed FFP as soon as it was on the yearly accounts.

Also you don't just get good players by spending money. You get them by having an eye for a good player and a bargain.

Edited by bluebruce

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Out of contract at the end of the season.Dont think the fee be quite that low but how much you think Brighton be looking for?A couple of million at best they will get 

Well if we could whack down half a million in one go then negotiate add ons etc and he wants to come here it might be a goer. Trouble is i'm sure a few others would jump at that so then you're talking into the million plus bracket in one instalment before add ons and the like.

I'm sure Mowbray and his mega tanker would be in the mix as well for a cheap down payment.

9 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Someone on LT comments saying we're signing Van Hecke for £350k in Jan and Dembele is on his way too. 

It's like Tony never left...

We were apparently after Dembele in the Summer. Van Hecke had a successful spell here on loan and can't get a game at Brighton. I'd put that someone's comments down to pure guesswork.

If we got Van Hecke for £350k that would be freakishly good business.

12 hours ago, booth said:

We were apparently after Dembele in the Summer. Van Hecke had a successful spell here on loan and can't get a game at Brighton. I'd put that someone's comments down to pure guesswork.

If we got Van Hecke for £350k that would be freakishly good business.

350k cannot be right for a permanent tranfer for Van Hecke. They would fetch more in a tribunal if his contract expires in the summer. Maybe for the loan fee for rest of the season. Would be a good purchase anyhow, especially with Scott Wharton's drop in form. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Have to say Travis needs to go.

Hirst needs to.

Mola needs to go.

Szmodics needs to go.

I think Travis is a better player than his recent displays are showing.  He’s being asked to collect ball at feet, turn and find a quick forward pass. That’s the absolute opposite of the type of player he is. He’s a shit fullback as well so I wish JDT would stop that also. If JDT wakes up and “wees with the willy he’s got” I think Travis is worth keeping.

Agree if he’s not going to be used properly he might as well move on. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, toogs said:

I think Travis is a better player than his recent displays are showing.  He’s being asked to collect ball at feet, turn and find a quick forward pass. That’s the absolute opposite of the type of player he is. He’s a shit fullback as well so I wish JDT would stop that also. If JDT wakes up and “wees with the willy he’s got” I think Travis is worth keeping.

Agree if he’s not going to be used properly he might as well move on. 

Agree with this Travis is one of those who is only good at one job but when he's in his groove he's very good at it.  When he first broke through he looked like an all action midfielder who liked to get forwards but that didn't suit Mowbray. They then tried to turn him into a Corry Evans but he was never going to suit that role.

Come a few months into last season and we see a more in your face style for a few months and he was excellent finally in his element.  Now when he plays with Mortan not only is he struggling with JDTs possession on the edge of our own box style he also at times is trying to do the graft of two men in there.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree with this Travis is one of those who is only good at one job but when he's in his groove he's very good at it.  When he first broke through he looked like an all action midfielder who liked to get forwards but that didn't suit Mowbray. They then tried to turn him into a Corry Evans but he was never going to suit that role.

Come a few months into last season and we see a more in your face style for a few months and he was excellent finally in his element.  Now when he plays with Mortan not only is he struggling with JDTs possession on the edge of our own box style he also at times is trying to do the graft of two men in there.

We really struggled when TM tried playing a possession based game. Only when we mixed it up and played more direct, as we did last year, did we do better. We don’t have the players for it. We are just playing ourselves into trouble a lot. Pep Guardiola has a lot to answer for. 

• Like 2