BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

56 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Not sure how long you have been following us but in the 1991-92 season we lost 6 successive games with Kenny Dalglish as manager . The club kept faith and the rest is history.

The lesson is that there are bad days, and bad runs, and managers should be judged on their overall record. Dismissing someone as a "dolloper" on the basis of 2 games is ridiculous.

First bit i have issue with because i'm sick of seeing it dragged up every time there is a bad run. Not just you it's like a default setting on here for some but there are no parallels to that situation 30 years ago it's chalk and cheese.

Second bit i agree with the only bit i'll add is we've seen it coming over the past few months in the narrow victories and rancid abject away efforts.

He did enough early doors for me not to write him off but he's had a reality check recently and needs to shake off his English championship naivety quickly.

Otherwise a drama will turn into a crisis but yes the fans need to back him and the team. Tomorrow for me is all about the performance and the real time to judge is over the festive fixtures. I think we'll all have a better idea in 2 or 3 games time what he's all about.

• Like 2

Let's face it, we can't continue to be bullied off the pitch by dolloper teams, or to attempt suicide by tippy tappy at the backy that has cost us dearly far too many times already this season.

In January, we need to bring in an enforcer of our own - a Robbie Savage type who plays with the entrails of his opponents across his chest, who snarls and harries and bothers the opposition into the kind of mistakes we have become accustomed to making.

Then we need another Danny Graham type who can hold up play in the final third, chip in with goals and lead the line more effectively than our current crop of powder puff chuff wombats.

Next I'd be looking for a Martin Olsson type to give us a bit more creative flair from the back, and who could allow Hedges to be used further forward to better effect.

Those three additions would, IMO, bring us a much stronger chance of a satisfactory first season for JDT.

Folk are right though, IMO, to criticise the manager for persisting with tactics that produce horribly predictable results - isn't that why we all lost faith with the Gurning Chump in the end, after all? He needs to have a long cold look at the way in which Rovers have been battered and subdued into timid and tepid surrender many times already this season, and come up with a game plan from the available playing staff to counter that - perhaps playing Hyam in front of a back four with Ayala and Wharton at the centre of it, as a better backbone upon which to build play and break up attacks.

If JDT doesn't show signs of adapting soon, then it can only realistically be a matter of time before the expectation takes a permanent nosedive, and the boos become endemic. I think there is still time for the lad to turn things around, but perhaps we have been smoking our own exhaust in terms of our relatively unlikely / undeserved higher than expected league position, and a lowering of our sights might lead to a more realistic evaluation of JDT's overall approach.

Whatever happens, there are strong signs that we need reinforcements, and that we need players that can slot into the side quickly and make a difference.

I hate the pseudo-schizophrenic position we are currently in, not knowing which team is turning up, right up to kick off and beyond. For me it is about time we settled on a group of players that whilst we know there will be the occasional reverse, perform consistently and with some sort of passion for the game - after all, these are 'professional footballers'  aren't they?

COYJDT Blues! Rabbit out of the January Transfer Window Hat please!

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
Fat, balding, running out of puff. But I'd run all day for a Rovers gooooooooaaaaaaaallll!!

1 hour ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

I hate the pseudo-schizophrenic position we are currently in, not knowing which team is turning up, right up to kick off and beyond. For me it is about time we settled on a group of players that whilst we know there will be the occasional reverse, perform consistently and with some sort of passion for the game - after all, these are 'professional footballers'  aren't they?

It's nothing new though. Rovers have been Jekyll and Hyde since the Bowyer days. Prior to that we were pure Hyde.

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Harsh he had a contract offer on the table from Spurs and turned it down for first team football which he hasn't gotten.Nearly every player we have has had opportunity in the league, he hasn't .

Markanday is another player who I have seen quite a few times for the U21s. At the moment he is nowhere near a first team player. He is being played wide where his main attribute ( a good shot ) is being wasted. He has shown nothing to prove he has the ability to play wide. Personally I would partner him down the middle with someone decent in the air.

7 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Not sure how long you have been following us but in the 1991-92 season we lost 6 successive games with Kenny Dalglish as manager . The club kept faith and the rest is history.

The lesson is that there are bad days, and bad runs, and managers should be judged on their overall record. Dismissing someone as a "dolloper" on the basis of 2 games is ridiculous.

Kenny didn't have us fucking about in our own box whilst under pressure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rigger said:

Markanday is another player who I have seen quite a few times for the U21s. At the moment he is nowhere near a first team player. He is being played wide where his main attribute ( a good shot ) is being wasted. He has shown nothing to prove he has the ability to play wide. Personally I would partner him down the middle with someone decent in the air.

I more took issue with him being happy to pick up easy money when he could have done that at Spurs in London his home City but moved on for a better chance at first team football.

You will have seen him far more than I have however others have got chances Hirst ,Vale etc without doing much yet they continue to get chances whilst Markanday is nowhere to be seen in the senior squads 

12 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

In January, we need to bring in an enforcer of our own - a Robbie Savage type who plays with the entrails of his opponents across his chest, who snarls and harries and bothers the opposition into the kind of mistakes we have become accustomed to making.

I agree we need a midfielder but its not a Robbie Savage type. No way was he an enforcer. He start an argument then wait for the enforcers like Nelson and Samba to fight his battles. I'd say we require more a Gordon Cowans type a canny operator who knew how to pass.

As a player, we have Travis, who is a bargain shop equivalent version of Savage but we havent got the players who will join the fight when its started. We require a Nelson, Moran or even an Andy Todd type centre half who could play and fight for everything. A player who wasnt afraid to spill blood. A captain who lead from the front and the rest of the team can be inspired by.

Lewis Travis isnt that player though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

We're 3rd ffs. 

Let's back JDT eh boys.

We’re 3rd ffs. 
We’re top 4 ffs.

We’re 5 points clear of 6th ffs. 
We’re top 6 ffs. 
We’re 2 points off 6th ffs.

We’re two wins off 6th ffs. 
We can still finish top 6 ffs. 

We’re mid table again… for fuck sake. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I agree we need a midfielder but its not a Robbie Savage type. No way was he an enforcer. He start an argument then wait for the enforcers like Nelson and Samba to fight his battles. I'd say we require more a Gordon Cowans type a canny operator who knew how to pass.

As a player, we have Travis, who is a bargain shop equivalent version of Savage but we havent got the players who will join the fight when its started. We require a Nelson, Moran or even an Andy Todd type centre half who could play and fight for everything. A player who wasnt afraid to spill blood. A captain who lead from the front and the rest of the team can be inspired by.

Lewis Travis isnt that player though.

I agree completely. Rovers are sadly lacking in leadership and backbone.

Anything other than this headless chicken tippy tappy across the backy nonsense that just isn't working.

Surely there are up and coming players in the lower leagues who would run through a frozen shit-house to play at our level, but who wouldn't smash the wage structure / disrupt the team?

Step forward, ye mighty warriors, ye silk-skilled arse kicking reputation smashing legends to be. Come forth and save this once proud and prominent club from the permanent purgatory of players pissing about at the back when the game needs energy up front. But do come soon. SOS - Save Our Season!

49 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

I agree completely. Rovers are sadly lacking in leadership and backbone.

Anything other than this headless chicken tippy tappy across the backy nonsense that just isn't working.

Surely there are up and coming players in the lower leagues who would run through a frozen shit-house to play at our level, but who wouldn't smash the wage structure / disrupt the team?

Step forward, ye mighty warriors, ye silk-skilled arse kicking reputation smashing legends to be. Come forth and save this once proud and prominent club from the permanent purgatory of players pissing about at the back when the game needs energy up front. But do come soon. SOS - Save Our Season!

Yes there are many in the lower leagues who run all day but we dont need that we need an experienced head at the back that knows when to go deep and when he can go short like the Head coach. In midfield we need some who can control the tempo of the game.

I was aboiut to say a couple of older free transfers would be good but as Im writing this Im listening to Danny Murphy so maybe  that isnt a good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The last fella was Teflon Tony after the L1 promotion. Very few grumbles even after horror run #6.

JDT won’t get the same courtesy, I can spot the signs of a crowd not far from turning already.

Very true , serious rumblings in the crowd, last Saturday .

On 12/12/2022 at 23:08, Hannoverover said:

I used to play for the same club (but not the same team) and he was one of the best u19 strikers in Germany. Wouldnt suprise me if he scored over 50% of the teams goals during the season. Scored loads of goals at youth level, but then struggled for a year or two until things clicked in his 2nd season in the third division leading to his move to Belgium where he did really well! I think he was fairly fast and strong. He scored lots of spectacular long range goals too. He's a good player with a very good scoring record at almost every club he's played at.

Thanks for that Hannoverover

On 13/12/2022 at 03:25, rigger said:

That is what scouts are for. Posters are not suggesting individuals, just a generic type of player. Scotland used to be a favoured hunting ground for such players. They may still be there, just not in the numbers that used to be produced.

Plenty of posters watched loads of football out there. So will see players that they would like to see us sign. I will mention a couple of players I would like to see us sign in January after tonight game. 

On 13/12/2022 at 12:46, roversfan99 said:

I think most people don't like the idea of allowing such a previously valuable asset for no money having spent £7m on him. Even allowing for him to have a year left on his deal, our lauded new managerial structure should have made (if they have the power to do so) the decision to cash in on the assumption that he won't sign a new deal should have happened in the summer, even if the fee was slightly down on what we wanted it would have still made a profitable investment.

Problem being that under Venkys we have never operated sensibly or efficiently, assets are allowed to either leave for free or even if we receive money for them, it tends to be with no reinvestment, with reasonable transfer budgets dished out sporadically and crucially with no connection to money coming in.

Even if someone bid £5m in January, it would probably have to be considered. The best way to look at it would be, would you loan Brereton for 6 months for that sort of loan fee?

So you would have accept a bid of 8.4 million from Sevilla or Nice or the very low offer from Fulham? Those offers were pathetic to be quite honest. 

On 16/12/2022 at 08:16, roversfan99 said:

Would you really trust anything he says after he basically told our Chief Scout Stuart Harvey to leave the club for Sunderland. 

On 16/12/2022 at 14:44, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Markanday has been a huge disappointment,another young lad content to pick up easy money.

Very unfair comment. He can here to play but Dolan and Hedges are ahead of him. 

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just watching the Salford documentary and I think it has been mentioned but they are talking about us bidding for Brandon Thomas-Asante prior to him joining West Brom. So maybe the stuff about Hirst being first choice was not strictly true @chaddyrovers

I know about that as I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I think Rovers were looking to buy him to replace BBD if we sold him. He has mainly played wide or part of front 2 for Salford. Good player. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for that Hannoverover

Plenty of posters watched loads of football out there. So will see players that they would like to see us sign. I will mention a couple of players I would like to see us sign in January after tonight game. 

So you would have accept a bid of 8.4 million from Sevilla or Nice or the very low offer from Fulham? Those offers were pathetic to be quite honest. 

Would you really trust anything he says after he basically told our Chief Scout Stuart Harvey to leave the club for Sunderland. 

Very unfair comment. He can here to play but Dolan and Hedges are ahead of him. 

I know about that as I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I think Rovers were looking to buy him to replace BBD if we sold him. He has mainly played wide or part of front 2 for Salford. Good player. 

Why did we bid for him then when we had no intention of letting Brereton go?

£8.4m more than we will get.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why did we bid for him then when we had no intention of letting Brereton go?

We had no idea whether someone would bid an acceptable offer for BBD which Rovers would sell him. So Rovers planned who they would replace him with. At least Rovers have plans or options who we wanted. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

£8.4m more than we will get.

I would say that what Ben Brereton Diaz bring to the team is worth far more than the 3 offers we had the summer or any January bid. I would keep him in January as he is major part of this team and we need him if we have any chance of promotion this season. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We had no idea whether someone would bid an acceptable offer for BBD which Rovers would sell him. So Rovers planned who they would replace him with. At least Rovers have plans or options who we wanted. 

I would say that what Ben Brereton Diaz bring to the team is worth far more than the 3 offers we had the summer or any January bid. I would keep him in January as he is major part of this team and we need him if we have any chance of promotion this season. 

Is one solitary season of Brereton worth more than £8.4m (minimum) to us? I can't possibly fathom that, unless we get an unlikely promotion.

We bid for Thomas Asante, we didn't merely scout him, Salford had received a bid. I think that we went for Hirst when that deal didn't materialise.

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is one solitary season of Brereton worth more than £8.4m (minimum) to us? I can't possibly fathom that, unless we get an unlikely promotion.

Why is promotion unlikely? 

I would say yes BBD is worth more than 8.4 mil. Why minimum? 

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We bid for Thomas Asante, we didn't merely scout him, Salford had received a bid. I think that we went for Hirst when that deal didn't materialise.

It all depends when that was filmed. Maybe you are right on that. I don't know is the simple answer