BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Three of them Mowbray signings that have done next to nothing.

It comes with the territory, he was exceptional when paying fees for players, no wonder he was kept around so long.

53 minutes ago, booth said:

I know we're all on a downer with JDT but this has got to be seen as a positive.

To be fair I'm still in 'give the guy a chance' territory. When appointed he said it'll take more than a couple of windows. We are higher up the league than I expected us to be despite playing admittedly poor football at times. If the last bloke was given 5yrs the least we can do is give JDT a couple more windows before we judge him. Those 4 players effectively being given the boot is definitely a positive though I hope Markanday comes good and returns a better player. 

• Like 7

• Backroom

Problem is you can't really have it both ways where Mowbray made 'exceptional' signings and was a solid on-field manager, as if this was the case he wouldn't have led us on regular death spirals (for example 2 wins out of 17). Exceptional signings combined with a decent let alone good manager would be finishing top six. The fact we never did under Mowbray (the league table at Christmas doesn't count) suggests either his signings weren't particularly exceptional, or they were but the manager was a bit rubbish at the most important thing - results on the pitch.

On Buckley, didn't he recently sign a 5 year deal? Would be strange if we let him go anywhere, Sunderland or otherwise.

16 minutes ago, DE. said:

Problem is you can't really have it both ways where Mowbray made 'exceptional' signings and was a solid on-field manager, as if this was the case he wouldn't have led us on regular death spirals (for example 2 wins out of 17). Exceptional signings combined with a decent let alone good manager would be finishing top six. The fact we never did under Mowbray (the league table at Christmas doesn't count) suggests either his signings weren't particularly exceptional, or they were but the manager was a bit rubbish at the most important thing - results on the pitch.

On Buckley, didn't he recently sign a 5 year deal? Would be strange if we let him go anywhere, Sunderland or otherwise.

Last years January window summed him up for me. Five new signings and not one had any effect in the slightest on the run in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah, start of September it was.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbrays transfer record was pretty good, certainly no worse than the first window under the new structure. Not exceptional either.

Pretty good ? How do you work that out ? He signed loads of players and a handful have been successful. But for the young lads coming through we’d have been in a mess.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I wouldn't call 5 million for Gallagher exceptional at all.

Gallagher is a very good player, does the hard yards, we miss him when he doesn’t play. Yes he could score more goals, but managers keep picking him, I wonder why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pretty good ? How do you work that out ? He signed loads of players and a handful have been successful. But for the young lads coming through we’d have been in a mess.

Pretty good yeah. Armstrong a massive success who scored loads and made a massive profit. Brereton would have done the same had the owners not refused to sell him. Rothwell also would have got a good profit. Dack, Kaminski, Pickering, Dolan, Hedges, Smallwood, Downing have been successes and then loans of Elliott, Adarabioyo, Downing, Reed, Antonsson, Van Hecke etc all improved us too.

47 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gallagher is a very good player, does the hard yards, we miss him when he doesn’t play. Yes he could score more goals, but managers keep picking him, I wonder why?

"Very good" is well over the top. 

He is pretty much an automatic pick because most of our squad are academy graduates or cheap/freebies/loanees so there is little alternative. He has his uses but he is average.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pretty good yeah. Armstrong a massive success who scored loads and made a massive profit. Brereton would have done the same had the owners not refused to sell him. Rothwell also would have got a good profit. Dack, Kaminski, Pickering, Dolan, Hedges, Smallwood, Downing have been successes and then loans of Elliott, Adarabioyo, Downing, Reed, Antonsson, Van Hecke etc all improved us too.

He is pretty much an automatic pick because most of our squad are academy graduates or cheap/freebies/loanees so there is little alternative. He has his uses but he is average.

I disagree on Gallagher, he’s been an automatic pick since he arrived, but I’ll defer to the experts that keep picking him, I agree with them.

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

I disagree on Gallagher, he’s been an automatic pick since he arrived, but I’ll defer to the experts that keep picking him, I agree with them.

Like I said, there aren't much in the way of alternatives. Never going to be prolific, cant hold it up and always injured. Has his uses (strong runner, will chip in with some goals, tall) and I would probably have him down in our best 11 too but the alternatives are Vale and Hirst.

If we are just to defer to the experts then surely the messageboard for supporter opinions is pointless.

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Markanday has been a huge disappointment,another young lad content to pick up easy money.

Harsh he had a contract offer on the table from Spurs and turned it down for first team football which he hasn't gotten.Nearly every player we have has had opportunity in the league, he hasn't .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I like him but you know well that at the time 5 million on him was wasted alongside the 15k pwk or whatever.

Don't try and rewrite history with this fella we all know how he has performed and how your hero preferred to try and use him.

That money alongside the 7 mill for BBD ( which is ok now with hindsight) could and should have been used to build a better side, starting with defence. 

Armstrong we'll give him that one but that was a modest 1.75 rising to 3 and that is where Mowbray should have stayed in his lane. When he was given genuine big money he failed miserably to put it to its best use at the time.

The 'investment' in BBD doesn't wash either seeing as he'll leave for nothing. Not spending last window might be down to the owners but BBD, Rothwell, Lenihen, Nyambe ALL leaving for nowt is a legacy of Mowbray and his close pals at BRFC.

The legacy of modern day BRFC though is of course all Venkys to own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He was first pick under Mowbray because he was desperate or under instruction to justify that investment and wages.

Like i said iv'e always liked him and think used properly he can do a job but that job odd game aside is not as a right winger/wide forward. That as we all very well know is Mowbray either thought he should be used or was shoehorning him in.  He had some absolute stinkers and more often than not games he grafted but contributed nothing whatsoever going forwards.

You really don't need to spend that money just to get someone who does that in the championship.

6 hours ago, Lucimo said:

To be fair I'm still in 'give the guy a chance' territory. When appointed he said it'll take more than a couple of windows. We are higher up the league than I expected us to be despite playing admittedly poor football at times. If the last bloke was given 5yrs the least we can do is give JDT a couple more windows before we judge him. Those 4 players effectively being given the boot is definitely a positive though I hope Markanday comes good and returns a better player. 

I was of that mindset until the last two games.

After those totally gutless and unacceptable displays I have now pegged him as just another dolloper. A fine example of the Venkys recruitment process. 

6 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I was of that mindset until the last two games.

After those totally gutless and unacceptable displays I have now pegged him as just another dolloper. A fine example of the Venkys recruitment process. 

Not sure how long you have been following us but in the 1991-92 season we lost 6 successive games with Kenny Dalglish as manager . The club kept faith and the rest is history.

The lesson is that there are bad days, and bad runs, and managers should be judged on their overall record. Dismissing someone as a "dolloper" on the basis of 2 games is ridiculous.

• Like 2