BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham United (a) - 14/1/23 k/o 12:30pm

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

one defeat it back to this talk of sacking the head coach. Its really has stop from fans who over reacting every time to losing a game of football. Look at the league position and we are well above anyone expectations from the start of the season including even mine I am very positive person but I didn't expect by 3rd this season. 

anyway guys, enjoy the rest of the day and I giving this place a wide berth for the rest of the day

Burnley, PNE, Rotherham and other spineless capitulations.

It took 4 years or more for the penny to drop with you about Mowbray.

Unless JDT's removed now I doubt we'll have a club in 4 years' time!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DE. said:

I just feel that, as essentially the same squad has been 2nd/3rd at the half way point in consecutive seasons now, lack of quality is unlikely to be the definitive factor. I feel like mentality is the real culprit, although lacking either across portions of the team is obviously problematic.

Lack of quality is a big issue. But lack of quality doesn’t put that starting side out, stick with it until the game is lost and force us to play pretty pointless passes to the detriment of our performance.

• Like 1

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Mowbray went winless for SIXTEEN games and kept his job. Shouts for the sack are pointless.

It’s not a normal club or ownership, so today does not matter, so far as the owners and the manager are concerned.

No other club in the entire pyramid would allow a 16 game winless run and not say a peep to its loyal fans.

Two or 3 more heavy defeats in the next 3 gam a won’t matter either. Project Rovers, is a very strange concept, even to those who would run through a brick wall for the club. 

27 minutes ago, CAPT KAYOS said:

not disregarding  the factor of  Brereton being out , just saying it wouldn't have made much difference today given his recent performances.. .the way the team has played other than a canary team in the doldrums  and even then we rode our luck in parts in both matches ... rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat

Agree with you on the 2nd part  but that ain't going to happen , and even if we did manage  to get anybody in, I have no confidence this manager would be able to  change things - the whole mannerism of our performances is just samey samey /rinse and repeat( and boring even in victory)

Brereton being out is a big miss as apart from his goals he is a handful for the opposition, even just running at them. It means they can't commit as much. Rotherham must have figured out pretty quickly our front two didn't have any chance of scoring but with Brereton there's always the chance of a worldie.

But it's not just Brereton, we're missing other players and we should have signed a few by now. At the moment it's Mowbray's team with the addition of Morton and Hyam, but minus Lenihan, Nyambe and Johnson. I don't expect anything from forwards like Gallagher and Vale, along with a midfield with two young lads, a makeshift fullback and a fullback that's not good enough. So results like today aren't a surprise to me. It's more of a surprise when we win.

• Like 6

The thumpings are a concern. 

The much bigger concern is we haven't got a point when going behind. 

Look regular thrashings shouldn't happen. But they will happen from time to time. It's inconceivable to not get a single point from going behind. That shows an incredible lack of character from the team and tactical awareness from the manager. I mean if it's game over every time we go behind, that's only going to see us leave the league one way eventually, and it's not promotion. 

Just now, Hasta said:

Lack of quality is a big issue. But lack of quality doesn’t put that starting side out, stick with it until the game is lost and force us to play pretty pointless passes to the detriment of our performance.

But what else do you do? They could have played all week and wouldn't have scored. They played 60 seconds and conceded. A poor collection of players with a bunch of decent ones who bail them out occasionally.

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Unless JDT's removed now I doubt we'll have a club in 4 years' time!

We're just going around in circles.

JDT is a symptom. The owners are dictating a style of play. Broughton is implementing. He appointed JDT. It's just naiveté of the highest order.

I'm slow. I've learned a lesson. Talk of projects and clean slates and style of play are just pointless. We might as well have a washed up has-been like Steve Bruce. Guaranteed that we would have felt perhaps a maximum of one embarrassment this season as opposed to eight, nine, ten, whatever it is. I've lost count.

• Like 5

Just came home to this, that might be the most embarrassing result I've seen since we dropped out of the Premier League. Get rid whilst we're still in a decent position. 

This team is going to fail to finish in the top 6 again but hail it as a positive. I'm beyond done at this point. 

2 minutes ago, booth said:

But what else do you do? They could have played all week and wouldn't have scored. They played 60 seconds and conceded. A poor collection of players with a bunch of decent ones who bail them out occasionally.

A number of times in that first half we had the ball out wide running at their full back. Gallagher and Pickering did it. JRC and Dack had the full back isolated. We got into good positions but failed to capitalise. That’s what happens when you play strikers in ‘wide’ roles. Brereton can carry the ball so carries far more of a threat in those positions.

Having lost Brereton, we knew we had little threat going forward. And yet we played Gallagher out wide instead of Markanday who has looked lively for weeks. When it wasn’t working, we came out again and carried on. So what we could have done is actually start Dolan or Markanday in a position that suits instead of playing Gallagher somewhere he has consistently been ineffective. 

It looked wrong at kick off. It was proved wrong in the first half but it wasn’t changed until game over. Markanday showed in the second half what might have been when they were exposed in that first half. 

Stubborn. Stupid. 

• Like 3

Absolutely fuming, a pathetic display and a humbling by a woeful side who haven't won in months.

They had an aging centre back playing at centre back, surely you keep trying to turn him? No, back to slow, boring football that seemingly only @chaddyrovers seems to approve of. It never works, we can't do it.

Do we do any work on attacking in training, totally lacking in cohesion and ideas.

The Venkys way having young lads like Vale and Garrett regularly featuring because of an underfunded squad.

Morton continues to knock money off his supposed big money move to Dortmund, Gallagher absolutely hopeless again and steadier players like Pickering, Kaminski, Hedges and Hyam all terrible, although the injury to the latter is salt in the wounds. Dack and Markanday the only sparks.

• Like 3

I think the key for me when considering this performance (and many others over several years) is central midfield. For whatever reason, we have populated it with loans, journeymen and kids who don't help the defenders by picking up runners, don't screen the edge of the box, don't get forward to help in attack and can't effectively position themselves to receive the ball in those little triangles they endlessly practise every warm-up. Every single issue we have lies in our very heart.

Rotherham's goals came from controlling the space around our box. Rathbone was for them what we sometimes deceive ourselves Travis is, a proper midfielder with dynamism who gets properly stuck in. Dolan tries to do this for us but is fundamentally a small guy lacking real physicality.

Markanday showed how easy it was today to run from midfield and get into their box. After an hour and 2-0 down. Morton and Garrett (and Travis and a dozen others over the years) simply do not get the ball into their box with any kind of regularity. Hedges tries but is asked to do a million other jobs at the same time.

I could go on for equally as long about how we don't seem to have anyone for whom goal-scoring is their purpose in life. Danny Graham, Jordan Rhodes et al. Gallagher simply isn't this and never will be no matter the patience we show or the starting position. Hedges neither. I'd argue neither Armstrong nor Diaz are natural goal-scorers but made/make up for it with pace and technique. Do we really see Vale has those?

• Like 2