BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 10/3/23

Utter garbage.

I thought this might be a game too far and we''d run out of steam at some point but theres been far too many no shows like that this season. It's part of the reason we still struggle to increase the gates this season because we have those kinds of non performances always just around the corner. It's hard for fans to truly believe we won't fall away badly at some point and it isn't down to the age or depth of the squad.

It's a recurring problem where we are tactically wrong and too many players not putting a shift in from the start. I'm usually one for keeping a settled side but i was surprised he hadn't freshened it up tonight with the starting 11.  We looked very leggy and no surprise really but we also made it so easy for them.

Credit Stoke a strong side when in form but we didn't half play to their strengths instead of our own.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Are your lot always so pacey?

Several times all over the pitch we had metres of head starts, and your players just galloped past them regardless. 

I.e. Is that a strength you've noticed all season, or did our players have lead in their boots?

We're not a quick team - I'd say only Thomas is genuinely quick. Gallagher is surprisingly quick for his size I guess. I'd fancy myself in a footrace against JRC and Pickering.

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We're not a quick team - I'd say only Thomas is genuinely quick. Gallagher is surprisingly quick for his size I guess. I'd fancy myself in a footrace against JRC and Pickering.

Fair points, I think it was more that it felt like most of their team was busting us for pace.

Normally you play a team and you know 2 or 3 will be burning you up.

But it was happening all over the pitch, and with such frequency. 

I'm going to stay optimistic and chalk it up to a bad night. 

It's odd though. Szmodics was fairly ripping Leicester to shreds, but looked so sluggish tonight. 

I’m hoping that was just an off day. For as bad as we were - and we were terrible for the record - Stoke were excellent and had us well figured out.

Nothing really went for us today. While both sides had a stone wall penalty ignored, they scored almost straight after theirs, ours was cleared with ease. We definitely lacked our recent intensity and overplayed at both ends, and we looked uncharacteristically nervy. When nothings coming off a couple of subs can make a difference and I’d have liked to have seen changes made earlier. The two times we got a decent ball in the box we scored two cracking headers - there’s a positive there, and what a ball in by Brittain by the way. It’s disappointing but it won’t define our season. Oh, and if we’d been at Ewood the ref would’ve played at least another 3 minutes.

Picking the same 11 was the obvious call, and I think some of the criticism certain players are getting is harsh. Nobody who started was good today, Carter the pick of the bunch but an incredibly low bar. Calls for JRC and Dolan to be dropped seem really reactionary and very much with hindsight. As good as he normally is Hyam was utterly shite today and head and shoulders the worst player on the pitch, but others seem to be easier targets.

The run was never going to carry on indefinitely… hopefully it’s just a blip and we will be back to our best next week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Silas said:

Fair points, I think it was more that it felt like most of their team was busting us for pace.

Normally you play a team and you know 2 or 3 will be burning you up.

But it was happening all over the pitch, and with such frequency. 

I'm going to stay optimistic and chalk it up to a bad night. 

It's odd though. Szmodics was fairly ripping Leicester to shreds, but looked so sluggish tonight. 

It's not that odd. People tire after they've been putting in a shift recently.

• Like 1

Gallagher's touch was an embarrassment tonight, I'm not sure what level he was at but it wasn't professional. Every pass, touch and turn he attempted was heavy, his performance in particular was painful to watch... along with Buckley, Travis, Pickering, Carter, Hyam, Rankin-Costello and Thomas. I felt the manager was largely to blame for Dolan's bad night, a defender should have been responsible for tracking Hoever, particularly after the first goal! We had a similar issue for spells against Sheffield Utd, Max Lowe their LWB was left completely unmarked multiple times but they did't get the pass right.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’m hoping that was just an off day. For as bad as we were - and we were terrible for the record - Stoke were excellent and had us well figured out.

Nothing really went for us today. While both sides had a stone wall penalty ignored, they scored almost straight after theirs, ours was cleared with ease. We definitely lacked our recent intensity and overplayed at both ends, and we looked uncharacteristically nervy. When nothings coming off a couple of subs can make a difference and I’d have liked to have seen changes made earlier. The two times we got a decent ball in the box we scored two cracking headers - there’s a positive there, and what a ball in by Brittain by the way. It’s disappointing but it won’t define our season. Oh, and if we’d been at Ewood the ref would’ve played at least another 3 minutes.

Picking the same 11 was the obvious call, and I think some of the criticism certain players are getting is harsh. Nobody who started was good today, Carter the pick of the bunch but an incredibly low bar. Calls for JRC and Dolan to be dropped seem really reactionary and very much with hindsight. As good as he normally is Hyam was utterly shite today and head and shoulders the worst player on the pitch, but others seem to be easier targets.

The run was never going to carry on indefinitely… hopefully it’s just a blip and we will be back to our best next week.

I think these performances will define our season. We are already far behind where we could be because of them.

I'm not expecting us to win every week. I expect effort and when things are clearly not working they get changed.

I really don't think I'm asking for too much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

That performance was lifted straight out of an earlier part of the season. What an abhorration from the past 10 games.

The highlight at 2-0 was watching 4 Rovers players moan about time wasting, get gifted the ball, and then proceed to pass it backwards to Pears in 5 passes. 

Tonight was just like pre-Christmas Rovers. It was woeful. Stoke had he freedom of the park and used it well. 

The same happened in added time. Probably 2 minutes wasted because of stupid decisions.

I said in the prediction thread that Rovers would get 15 more points from the last 11 games. 15 from 10 games sounds about right. Millwall on the last day will be a nail biter.

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Gally is Quick to give the ball away that’s for sure 

Problem today was we were set up the same as the last few to press them high up the pitch. We didn’t, or couldn’t and that left loads of time and space around our box. To make matters worse we couldn’t win a single 50:50 and we’re second best all over the pitch. Tactically we got it wrong and mentally the players weren’t up to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Carter was very poor too. Continuously stopping to slow down, pass inside or backwards to players already pressed and in worse position than he was. If he kicked long almost always inaccurate.

He was an instigator in most of the pathetic attempts at poorly passing the ball across the back and to Pears who had set the tone early playing netball.

• Like 2

Tiredness is being put forward as an excuse.

This after a break of 5 full days and all of Friday between games. Get real.

Was tiredness behind Pears appalling passing and long kicking? 

We had a communal brain fade and made Stoke look like Brazil and Golum look like Pep.

After escaping I ventured back to hell just as BBDs header hit the back of the net so at least saw us score a couple of goals. Amazing what a cross can do.

SG runs fast, when running a straight line and most certainly when there is no ball in his vicinity.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

I think after that it's time for a few games on the bench for Pickering, I wouldn't be surprised if Dolan sat the next one out too. Neil knew the weakest point and exploited it to a tee, Brittain hopefully gets a few starts now.

They all looked absolutely rattled from the off though, from the minute Pears flapped at that cross I thought hmm this might not end well. The usually calm Hyam looked erratic, and Carter looked terrified all game.

3-2 looks a damn sight better than 3-0 but still a night to forget, for literally every player representing us.

Thankfully we have a chance to put things right soon, you just KNOW every result will go against us today.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Are Stoke the first team to do the double on us this season?

Yes.

Need to make sure Reading don't become the second..

Hope Buckley is not badly injured but fear the worst from the close ups when he was being treated. 

Collectively we left all our good habits behind from the tenth minute. Dolan in particular is going to hate seeing the video analysis of his performance. 

Did any 20 yard + forwards pass find their intended Rovers target. It seemed every forward ball in the first half gathered pace off the pitch and the front players didn't reach anything. 

There was a nervous rubbish keeper in the Stoke net and there was only Travis shot from distance.

The Stoke positions denied clear space but instead of quickening play around and through them we slowed down.

Totally unexpectedly we got back within a goal but even then there was no throwing the kitchen sink to grab an equaliser.

And as for that ref. The lack of Rovers competing made for an easy game for him but he was hopeless. Missed two blatant penalties at the end of the first half he was looking straight at.

He must have realised he bottled that Hyam trip when a few seconds later he didn't give the Gayle hand ball.

3rd goal was unforgivable, as bad as the one Szmodics got at Leicester. I think they were terrified of any contact in the box, he just kept getting nearer and nearer---seemingly with no space.

Cost us what might have been a remarkable point.

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

3rd goal was unforgivable, as bad as the one Szmodics got at Leicester. I think they were terrified of any contact in the box, he just kept getting nearer and nearer---seemingly with no space.

Cost us what might have been a remarkable point.

Had Gally had that ridiculous booking by then?

That could be the only reason for not stopping the guy by the corner flag.

A positive was the injection of the three subs made a big positive difference.

JDT showed faith in his eleven at half time but they didn't repay him.

Very Jekyl and Hyde aren't we.. was a terrible watch, made worse by how bloody cold it was in Stoke..

I thought that Neil's comments before the game would be the perfect motivation for our lot, but we just laid back and perfected his narrative! 

Tactically Neil nailed JDT and mentally we were second best everywhere.. 3-2 massively flattered us, probably should have been 4-1..

All that said this is a 10-14th position team, so we are massively punching.  Play offs would be a huge achievement, we have to back JDT with at least 3 x new players and see where we get to next season.

• Like 3

Last night showed just why we badly needed someone like O'Brian in midfield.

I hope Buckley isn't badly hurt but he was useless last night and as were Hyam and Pickering but Bucko thinks he's Tugay.

Dolan again displayed why he isn't up to being a regular starter although he'd earned his spot. Why you ask someone like that to do the work of two men up and down the left when his strength is clearly pressing up top is beyond me. That should have been changed after the first 15 mins. It was blindingly obvious what was coming.

Problem here is we have another gaffer who only reacts when his team is two nil down.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

I still think we need to try Brereton up front. I thought Gally was exceptionally poor last night. He at least scored late on (but he shouldered it).

JRC and Dolan were very poor last night also but have been brilliant the last few games. So calls to drop them feel premature. What doesn't help JRC is he has Brittain breathing down his neck who I really rate and is a more orthodox full back. Could JRC be the cm who takes the ball off the back 4? I'd also leave dolan in and bring Brereton in up front.

• Like 1

We've been on a fantastic run, far better than anyone could have imagined after the horror show at Rotherham, but it had to come to an end at some point. I'd much rather lose points to mid table Stoke than any of the promotion/play off rivals.

Its easy for me to sit here and say this as I didn't get to Stoke last night, I'm sure the superb travelling hordes will have a different take on things and I respect that fully.

The key for me right now is how we bounce back from this, we looked tired and leggy last night, lets hope the extra time off pays dividends. 

Onwards and upwards

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

We have an unnerving tendancy to collapse like a pack of cards at times...seen it too many times this Season.We should have been playing with confidence and an all out will to win last night in our position.This team is frustrating at times with its Peak and Trough performance.

Well get battered at Sheffield in the Cup if we play like that,a certainty.

• Like 2

I predicted a loss and was supposedly "flapping" against all you cocky bastards, so I'll lap up all the credit about to come my way! 😤

We turned up for the first and last ten minutes. Stoke turned up for the other 70 and sliced through our midfield and defence like butter.

That's all she wrote. I've seen worse from us this season, but I had a feeling we'd turn out "one of those" performances.

• Like 2

We were very poor last night. I hate football when we've actually performing well. I often think I'm one of those that is passionate but has the ability to not let it ruin the day. In reality as a Rovers fan I've just become accustomed to expect failure. Being able to let things go really goes out the window when you start to belive. It's the hope that kills you.

I was so wound up last night, firstly by our performance and then by the spineless referee. 

After some time to calm down, Alex Neill did a number on us. They let us have the ball at the back and their press suffocated us whenever we tried to go forwards. We became unsettled and constantly misplaced passes. The quick switches of play also destroyed us. Dolan was terrible for not tracking back, but I also think Pickering twice followed his man more centrally leaving so much space.

We didn't deserve a thing from the game. I'm hopeful that under JDT we have a habit of bouncing back. Top 6 is the aim. A win at Reading and playoffs are still a possibility. 

• Like 2