BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Walsall (h) - 8/8/23 - Carabao Cup R1

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Have we upgraded our catering this year? Food in the image looks a step above recent years.

(unless it was purchased outside somewhere and brought in)

EE21D01C-07D5-4EE9-8E92-E3A48BDC7DDB.jpeg

Thanks for this, was ready for bed.......... Now making my way to the fridge 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Have we upgraded our catering this year? Food in the image looks a step above recent years.

(unless it was purchased outside somewhere and brought in)

EE21D01C-07D5-4EE9-8E92-E3A48BDC7DDB.jpeg

I saw this elsewhere - I couldn't make it tonight (work commitments), so not sure if legit or not.

But if it is, this is the kind of food we need to be serving at Ewood, rather than stale Rollover hot dogs and sad-looking currys.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Who do we want in the next round? I'd love a home game or away game to Portsmouth,.don't ask me why lol

Harrogate away, fairly close and the Spoons there is splendid 😀 

If not them then Salford, Bolton, Blackpool, Crewe, Doncaster, Bradford would all be tempting to go to.

Fully expecting to get Sheff Weds away now the robbing swines.

• Like 4

A decent watch with credit to Walsall for making a game of it. Gilsenan was by far the outstanding player for us in my opinion although Ennis looks like he will offer us something different with his clever movement in the penalty area. The players I was expecting to stand out and push for selection in the first team didn't really impress with Adam Wharton in particular proving he is a while off starting yet. Still it's good to win any game so well done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

I saw this elsewhere - I couldn't make it tonight (work commitments), so not sure if legit or not.

But if it is, this is the kind of food we need to be serving at Ewood, rather than stale Rollover hot dogs and sad-looking currys.

It looks like somebody has spewed up all over it 😂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Very good opportunity for the youth to impress tonight. Hopefully they took something from the game offensively and learn from the mistakes defensively. Young Batty wrong side of his man for the one goal which is a lesson learnt hopefully. Worst one for me was there 3rd goal, Harry pickering no where near his man and way too central. Apart from that we can be proud of the lads

The lad slowly and awkwardly brought the ball down with his left foot. He then slowly shifted it inside onto his left foot and shot - Pickering was nowhere near for any of it. Poor defending - the lad's right foot is clearly for standing on. 

• Like 1

I think a closer game is often better for sharpness and match fitness - lots of debuts, players coming back from serious injuries (both, in the case of Barnes). 

If it had been me and I picked that back four I'd probably have stuck a more experienced GK behind them but hey I can't complain about a manager really willing to give the kids a chance. 

After the opening two games I'm much less worried about our forward line. I'd still like to bring a striker in, but looks like there are goals in the youngsters and it's a promising start from Ennis. 

Garrett looks better every time he gets a game.

I thought last year Scott whartons bad form came from rushing him back after injury whilst we were a bit thin on the ground - I'm a bit disappointed he doesn't seem to have picked up much after pre season. Worth giving him the time though, because if he can get back to where he was he's an important player.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

We've certainly upgraded the prices!

Pie and a pint last season £6

Pie and a pint this season £9.50

In a skint northern town those prices are beyond ridiculous more fool those who pay it even if it doesn't dent their pocket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bethnal said:

Buckley is a bit selfish for his and he just barges past Ennis in the aftermath. Sulking or unfriendly? He’s a few places down the pecking-order, he can’t afford to do/be either.

He looked pissed off that he was playing with the Second XI. He seems to have a bit of an attitude problem - thinks he's far better than he actually is (the potential is there, but the application isn't).

• Like 1

Great game to watch. Just a few different points without going over old ground.

Buckley took his goal brilliantly with a slightly risky disguised shot, taking it early with zero backlift. You need real composure and technique for this. His confidence improved after this and he was more like his old self, getting involved and some nice touches.

Gilsenan is wiry, with good feet and a good engine. He deliberately wound up the Walsall fans with his goal celebration, and at another point, gestured to the Blackburn End to make a bit of noise. Obviously a confident lad with a bit of attitude, which I like to see.

Garrett was my man of the match. If he can play to that level in a Championship fixture then he will dislodge Travis. He is quicker than Travis with better feet and a much sharper football brain. He ran himself into the ground and his goal was excellent.

I liked Ennis. He is lively and I think he will score quite a few. Trondstadt is tidy but lacking pace.

One final point; Leonard is a good athlete with good positional sense, but disappointingly, he lacks the raw pace of an Adam Armstrong or the powerful running of a Shearer. Both Gallagher and Diaz have more pace. There is nothing he can do about this. It is what it is. He has acceptable pace and is quicker than Vale or Butterworth for example but to be truly effective he really needs to learn how to finish clinically like a Jordan Rhodes.

I believe he will be in good hands with our manager.

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Gilsenan sounds like he had a great game! Just checked his wiki, youth player at Liverpool and Barca! Wow didn't know. 

I mentioned it on the friendlies thread when we were playing Stockport that he’d been captain of the youth teams for Barca, but relocated. Hopefully can be the next big thing for Rovers ☺️

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Great game to watch. Just a few different points without going over old ground.

Buckley took his goal brilliantly with a slightly risky disguised shot, taking it early with zero backlift. You need real composure and technique for this. His confidence improved after this and he was more like his old self, getting involved and some nice touches.

Gilsenan is wiry, with good feet and a good engine. He deliberately wound up the Walsall fans with his goal celebration, and at another point, gestured to the Blackburn End to make a bit of noise. Obviously a confident lad with a bit of attitude, which I like to see.

Garrett was my man of the match. If he can play to that level in a Championship fixture then he will dislodge Travis. He is quicker than Travis with better feet and a much sharper football brain. He ran himself into the ground and his goal was excellent.

I liked Ennis. He is lively and I think he will score quite a few. Trondstadt is tidy but lacking pace.

One final point; Leonard is a good athlete with good positional sense, but disappointingly, he lacks the raw pace of an Adam Armstrong or the powerful running of a Shearer. Both Gallagher and Diaz have more pace. There is nothing he can do about this. It is what it is. He has acceptable pace and is quicker than Vale or Butterworth for example but to be truly effective he really needs to learn how to finish clinically like a Jordan Rhodes.

I believe he will be in good hands with our manager.

I thought Garrett had a good game but he did fade a bit in the second half but then seemed to get back into it a bit for the last 10-15mins.

Also though Brittain had a decent game, not sure where he ended up (in the new JRC RB/CM role by the looks)

Gilsenan is obviously very good with the ball and technically gifted but he's going to need to put a bit of muscle on, as you say very wiry. Lacks pace though.

Adam Wharton was on and off, a few moments of magic but some disappointing play as well. 

Full credit to Walsall though, they gave us a good game and had a blatent penalty not given (or it looked it from where I was sat) and the ball out wide for their second looked superb (going to need a replay to confirm though)

• Like 3

Very entertaining evening with a mixture of positives and negatives culminating in the main aim, a place in the next round. It can be difficult to really take firm conclusions with a team cobbled together of squad players lacking game time against a changed up League 2 side.

One of the main positives is Ennis getting 70 minutes and a goal, seeing as he will feature more than most who played. His finish was good, he doesnt look in great shape and tired towards the end but it is hard to tell if that is just his build, Plymouth fans mentioned his hold up play and although he is slower than I expected and likes to come to feet, his hold up play was good. Hopefully he is now considered ready to feature in League games.

Gilsenan was a deserved man of the match, obviously it doesnt really show he could do in the Championship but his decision making and technical ability was great to watch. Ive questioned Garrett and whether he is ready for the Championship and that still stands but he was by far the stand out, Buckley unfortunately has regressed under Tomasson and Wharton was poor tonight too although he just needs fitness.

I have huge worries across the side that similar to in the last 2 seasons, a thin, young squad lacking depth will br our achilles heel. You look in defence, we have the 4 that started on Saturday (Hyam was all over the place tonight but we know his quality) but behind that, so light. Batty was really out of his depth with Barnes not much better, 2 young lads off the back of serious injury that could do with regular game time further down the pyramid but cannot be expected to provide serious cover in the Championship this season. Scott Wharton continues to be a concern too, we definitely need a centre back like Batth but we also need left back cover. Our academy is a source of great pride but we are becoming over reliant on it in certain areas, it wont plug every hole. To really push we do need a quality striker, a winger and a CB but also ideally maybe another 3 on top of that (wont happen) just to give us a much sturdier squad.

(This is subject to being moved as it seems to be a thread obsessing on Tony Mowbray again)

Great to hear about Gilsenan. Not even factored in my vaguest thinking. If he can really offer a breakthrough this year thats a massive bonus. 

Also reports on Ennis very encouraging. Sounds like the focal point we need.

And Garett's strong performance gives us six strong contenders for three midfield slots (Garrett, Travis, Tronstad, Buckley, Szmodics, A Wharton).

Our academy really is something else. Womder if we could break some records this year in terms of number of academy graduates on the pitch?

Looking forward to Saturday!

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2