BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Was listening to Allardyce and Warnock on the 'No Tippy Tally Football' podcast (great name) talking about when they come into a club with 14 games to go they build it entirely around 1 good keeper and 1 good striker.  From there they say you can get a poor defender average, average midfielder decent etc. 

Just interesting listening to two tried and testeds A) talk about what makes decent good and B) talk about their development models 

I remember Hughes had a maxim of prioritising very good strikers: Bellamy, Benni, Roque..    If you have people at the top end that can score the opposition have to think..  Then someone keeping them out- it ain't rocket science.. 

Yesterday we had Wahlsted at one end and Leonard at the other.. I'd not be confident with them in league 2. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I remember Hughes had a maxim of prioritising very good strikers: Bellamy, Benni, Roque..    If you have people at the top end that can score the opposition have to think..  Then someone keeping them out- it ain't rocket science.. 

Yesterday we had Wahlsted at one end and Leonard at the other.. I'd not be confident with them in league 2. 

Warnock does admittedly play a bit of a character (you've got to fucking die for 3 points) but he talks too about why would anyone want to play with the ball within 25 yards of their own goal line - 'I like playing football in their half'.  None of it is especially insightful but it's quite funny seeing the mentality difference 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Tad harsh think Leonard is league 1 level at present.

I don't, I think he's dreadful, but football is a game that divides opinion. Hope he comes good, but a bit like Leo, I don't see any outstanding attributes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Wahlsted can go off on loan to a lower league side.  He's not good enough.  To compare him to Raya is perhaps unfair, but at his age Raya was earning rave reviews winning games on loan for Southport.   Wahlsted is nowhere near that level.  I'd go as far to say he doesn't exhibit any outstanding attritbutes. In such a key position, perhaps harsh, but I'd be looking to sell him on.

Raya was around 18 when he played for Southport. Wahlsted is 24!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Well that stings. Always thought he was top class. Would love him back here.

Premiership quality on his day, another very good Mowbray signing, but his wages are probably 4/5 times what we pay these days, never going to happen sadly. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Tad harsh think Leonard is league 1 level at present.

Why? He looks like he should be playing Under-18 football

On another note anyone who thinks Adam Wharton is worth £20 million needs to have a lie down

On his potential as an as yet unproven but promising player we might get £2 million. On yesterday's performance we'd be lucky to get £200,000

Edited by jim mk2

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why? He looks like he should be playing Under-18 football

On another note anyone who thinks Adam Wharton is worth £20 million needs to have a lie down

On his potential as an as yet unproven but promising player we might get £2 million. On yesterday's performance we'd be lucky to get £200,000

Not that it is any of his fault and taking nothing away from his potential but that's all it is at this point and he is one the reason we are doing what we are doing. They are quite prepared to carry him whilst he learns and gets appearances to increase his value even if it contributes to losing points.

Personally i'd have benched him a while ago and had Travis probably in there and tightened things up. Not because he's done anything wrong but purely for tactical reasons and he'd have to lump it as part of his learning curve.

• Like 1

Anyone follow Travis on Instagram? Wow I know he’s technically an Ipswich player, for this period,  but my god we may aswell just pass them the contract now…

Theres no way he’s coming back to us, suppose the only good thing is that his value will increase - How much do we think he will go for next season? 4-5m?

Edited by BankEnd Rover

The lad is playing for a contract there and best of luck to him leaving this mess behind no wonder he wanted out sitting and watching some of the games here from the sidelines and not getting on.

Very much doubt they'll be paying 4 million though more like 2.5 at best.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Anyone follow Travis on Instagram? Wow I know he’s technically an Ipswich player, for this period,  but my god we may aswell just pass them the contract now…

Theres no way he’s coming back to us, suppose the only good thing is that his value will increase - How much do we think he will go for next season? 4-5m?

i don`t want him back,he`s not very good,as the ipswich fans will soon find out

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pick32 said:

He was awful here, I honestly still wouldn’t have him over pickering and both the Olssons were a lot lot better players 

Agree but the point is certain players just like managers fit certain teams and clubs at the right moment and i think Travis and Gally will/would thrive at Ipswich.

Not that long ago even under Venkys not many players thrived when they left here but recently that is doing a 360 and that is very worrying.

• Like 2

I know there are a raft of opinions about Travis, but something is definitely wrong at our end when he can walk straight into a team chasing automatic promotion.

On a lower scale, it reminds me of when Sherwood left to join Tottenham.

That pretty much sealed our fate.

We have allowed our captain and one of the few senior players we had left to walk away, whilst we are in free fall.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree but the point is certain players just like managers fit certain teams and clubs at the right moment and i think Travis and Gally will/would thrive at Ipswich.

Not that long ago even under Venkys not many players thrived when they left here but recently that is doing a 360 and that is very worrying.

It might have something to do with training methods

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I know there are a raft of opinions about Travis, but something is definitely wrong at our end when he can walk straight into a team chasing automatic promotion.

The other way of looking at it is an experienced Championship midfielder going straight into a newly promoted side from League 1.

Only way I can see Gallagher leaving is if there's a solid option coming in that's ready to go, with wages being freed up for another signing as well. It's looking like the issues with Venky's are being prolonged, or else we would never have shipped out Buckley and Travis under the current circumstances. While I don't mind Travis leaving, the timing is poor, and it's to a rival play-off candidate. Remember Rothwell and Bournemouth? I know we're on a bad slide here, but points-wise we're still in relative contact. 

Talk of selling Szmodics is madness btw, he's our player of the season and runs his bollocks off every game. Age-wise it makes sense to cash in, but think relegation to League 1 is more expensive than not selling him.

57 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeah I heard a few saying 'see you back here' in the summer. Ain't going to happen. Even if JDT goes and the next bloke fancies him there's too much gone on now.

We wanted his wages off and that's all there is to it, so the 'powers that be' will be hoping Ipswich love him so they'll come along with some cash early on in the summer window. Win win for Waggott and co. A well timed cash boost, big wage gone and all profit on an academy player.

It really is sickening, especially when imbecilic Rovers fans start playing the 'poor little Rovers' routine, Ipswich being a club in League One for years and the definition of mediocrity for the decade prior to that.

But another club that has more than we have - pride, ambition, determination - so I'm sure it will be like chalk and cheese moving down there to a club with an aim rather than just existing to develop particular players and keep people in jobs and favour with India. 

I don't want to support such an organisation, not at top end prices and having the mick taken out of me. I can take crap but not when we are being laughed at by those upstairs.

• Like 7