BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I hope that we don't invest too much money in this window from the Wharton sale. Its a terrible window to do business in. This is the biggest chance we've had to properly had to get some quality in so rushing that process with 2 days to go would be unwise. Realistically, this season has gone for us. We just need to make sure we stay up, which we will. 

We then need to have a proper go at in the summer window. 

I'd focus on loan deals to plug the gaps for now and then re-set in the summer. The US guy would be the exception as I think he's been on our radar for a while, so he's not a panic signing.

I dont get this. You dont wont to waste money but then suggest we bring in loans. I see the loans as the biggest waste of money of the lot. Borrowing a player for a couple of months, paying a loan fee then returning the player and your money is gone. This is not to mention there is probably an agents fee as well. Borrow 4 this window, borrow 4 next window at approx 1 million then thats nearly half the Wharton money gone and there is no resale value.

14 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I agree with the overall sentiment Duncan, but is Adam ''levels above'' what David Dunn ever was? Probably for another thread 👀😂 but Dunny did make his debut in the Premier League at 19, was England u21 captain at 20 and almost exclusively spent a career in the top flight.

Adam has huge potential and may go further than Dunny did, but he's still got to go and do it. At this stage they're decent comparisons, though its probably easy to forget how good Dunn was in the Championship and Premier League throughout his career.

Agree there is a bit of recency bias at play there. Adam does have a higher ceiling though, but as you say, he has to go and do it (something Dunny didn't, but Duff arguably did)

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Nonsense. There's a lot wrong with the club but this has to be seen as a huge success for the club. 

We've always sold our beat players and most clubs do. What is important now is that we spend it wisely. We finally no longer have to shop in the market of the likes of Ennis or Telalovic. This is a big day for the club.

No chance of any realistic money as it will disappear down the black hole

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Nonsense. There's a lot wrong with the club but this has to be seen as a huge success for the club. 

We've always sold our beat players and most clubs do. What is important now is that we spend it wisely. We finally no longer have to shop in the market of the likes of Ennis or Telalovic. This is a big day for the club.

We have sold top players, of course we have. This is different as he never asked to go, only recently signed a new contract and was extremely happy living at home and playing for Rovers. There was no release clause in his new deal as far as I'm aware. Join those dots and it tells me he was pressurised into going so the club can stave off possible administration. Duff, Dunn, Jones and Phillips moving were completely different circumstances to Adam leaving.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 2

Wharton looks a good player and hope he does well for us. I don't understand all the hate from some of your fans because of the play-offs 89 (i was there) but you guys went on to win the title and then some, had one of England's best forwards shearer.

Good luck for the rest of the season and i'm sure you will be back

6 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

True, but this means we have the money in the bank and can hit the ground running in the transfer market in the summer. It gives us some certainly of what our summer budget may be. We, of course, won't invest all of that but I know it means we will be doing better than the likes of Telalovic in the next window.

I'm not taking that for granted. And not so sure JDT will be around either if we cock up the window we're still in.

6 minutes ago, alex l said:

Very few clubs i.e. only the elite ones don't sell on their best players. Go support City or Real Madrid. Rovers have had to for 30 years so it's not changing when we're in the second tier. Shearer, Hendry, Sherwood, Sutton, Duff, Dunn, Bentley, McCarthy, roque....

We've not been sustainable for 30 years and we're not the team who wins everything. This is the football food chain.

If you think the situation during the last 30 years is the same as it is now then you clearly have no understanding of football whatsoever.

In normal circumstances you try to achieve success on the pitch and to  keep hold of your best players but occasionally they might want to leave because results aren't going so well.

That's a whole different scenario to the plan being to flog them on the first place. And even then we've got a crap price because of the financial mess we find ourselves in.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We have sold top players, of course we have. This is different as he never asked to go, only recently signed a new contract and was extremely happy living at home and playing for Rovers. Join those dots and it tells me he was pressurised into going so the club can stave off possible administration. Duff, Dunn, Jones and Phillips moving were completely different circumstances to Adam leaving.

Adam is leaving to join a premier league club, probably tripling his wages overnight, and we've made 20m+. 

I don't see that as being forced out at all. Has Adam kicked up a fuss and asked to leave? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean he's been forced out by any means.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

The funny thing about football is that Adam Wharton is going for £22m and we're gutted that he's leaving on the "cheap" to Palace but if Palace came in for Szmodics and offered the same we would probably think it's a fair deal 😂

Age and potential a big factor in why there would be different feelings to be fair. I still feel like if Wharton had stayed till the summer we’d have got a good chunk more just through there being more teams able to bid for him.

46 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

No thanks.

Experience needed.

Does Wharton want to leave or is Gregg egging him on? Who's his agent btw?

Agent is ex-Rover James Featherstone. He’s tweeting about the move. 

IMG_5330.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I agree with the overall sentiment Duncan, but is Adam ''levels above'' what David Dunn ever was? Probably for another thread 👀😂 but Dunny did make his debut in the Premier League at 19, was England u21 captain at 20 and almost exclusively spent a career in the top flight.

Dunn was better at the same age. By a young age he was a driving force in a genuinely good side. Wharton makes some nice passes and had a lot of talent, but he drifts in and out of matches and isn't the type of player who can really grab a match by the scruff of the neck.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neal said:

I've seen a few digging Telalovic, understandable as he's not blown us away since he signed but I think we need to be careful and hold our tongues on that one a little bit. He might do nothing this season but there's a chance he gets a few goals later in the season, gets a good pre season and does a smaller scale Brereton type turn around. If Ben, Sammie and JRC have shown us anything, don't write him off just yet. 

I agree....Telalovic reminds med of when Piroe came to Swansea.....it took time for him there. Think they are very like player.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We have sold top players, of course we have. This is different as he never asked to go, only recently signed a new contract and was extremely happy living at home and playing for Rovers. There was no release clause in his new deal as far as I'm aware. Join those dots and it tells me he was pressurised into going so the club can stave off possible administration. Duff, Dunn, Jones and Phillips moving were completely different circumstances to Adam leaving.

What about these rumours that Palace have been talking with Adam and his reps for a while?

Palace must have had some sort of indication that he was open to moving there?

I take your point,he won't have been pushing for a move this window but I do not believe he would have been happy to stay here beyond the summer with us still a championship club.

I know he is a Rovers fan but still after the project changing in the summer surely he would have begun to think very hard about his future.Most the fan base know we are going nowhere with our current owners.Why would Wharton think we are?

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Adam is leaving to join a premier league club, probably tripling his wages overnight, and we've made 20m+. 

I don't see that as being forced out at all. Has Adam kicked up a fuss and asked to leave? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean he's been forced out by any means.

Adam knows the financial situation and probably feels some burden to leave and alleviate it. If you honestly believe that the money from Palace will be invested in the playing side then you must have been asleep for thirteen years. The wages can be paid now without approval from an Indian judge, the lights can stay on and the milkman paid.

• Like 8

If a figure of 22 million plus add ons/ sell on fee is to be correct I see it as a common sense piece of business.
We are where we are , a floundering, badly supported town club . I like Wharton , he seems a really decent lad , obviously talented BUT…he has lots to learn without the ball, not sure about his work ethic and God forbid , he could pick up a considerable injury  (Dack) just before a probable sale . …don’t think we’re in any position not to grab this.

I wish him all the very best, I hope he goes on to fulfill his massive potential and we see him , one day, in an England shirt.