BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Adam knows the financial situation and probably feels some burden to leave and alleviate it. If you honestly believe that the money from Palace will be invested in the playing side then you must have been asleep for thirteen years. The wages can be paid now without approval from an Indian judge, the lights can stay on and the milkman paid.

As the club set out in their recent announcement I guess.

31 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I had the pleasure of watching McGuire in the flesh for an entire game in October and he was impressive, easily the standout player on the night. Was being marked by Michael Bradley and made him look a total mug. Gets my vote.

I'd note some caution as Bradley was probably 2 years past his retirement date 🙂, amid TFC being a general basketcase last year...

Certainly an interesting one. Rare to see an NCAA product explode like he did at the MLS level, let alone at higher levels. Orlando fans seem quite fond of him.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

What about these rumours that Palace have been talking with Adam and his reps for a while?

Palace must have had some sort of indication that he was open to moving there?

I take your point,he won't have been pushing for a move this window but I do not believe he would have been happy to stay here beyond the summer with us still a championship club.

I know he is a Rovers fan but still after the project changing in the summer surely he would have begun to think very hard about his future.Most the fan base know we are going nowhere with our current owners.Why would Wharton think we are?

Palace were tracking him after his debut at Blackpool. Freedman was at the next game we played after Parrish told him to watch Adam. But there was lots of interest from big clubs, most of whom have watched him at some stage since Adam made his debut. I have been told Palace only stepped up their interest last week by talking to Broughton and Adams representatives. I was also told his agent has also had direct contact with Venkys.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

When you have a player of the calibre of Wharton walking out of the door, and players like Telalovic, Sigursson, Hirst, Ennis et al coming the other way, there's only one direction we're heading in, I'm afraid.

But.....but we can bring another 4 or 5 in with the Adam Wharton money!

Your only worth what someone is willing to pay. No one else has jumped in with an offer so we have to take it. Hope the lad has a successful career, But after what happened to Dack we really can't afford to turn deals like this down

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Palace were tracking him after his debut at Blackpool. Freedman was at the next game we played after Parrish told him to watch Adam. But there was lots of interest from big clubs, most of whom have watched him at some stage since Adam made his debut. I have been told Palace only stepped up their interest last week by talking to Broughton and Adams representatives. I was also told his agent has also had direct contact with Venkys.

Sounds like we couldn't get him out of the door fast enough.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Adam knows the financial situation and probably feels some burden to leave and alleviate it. If you honestly believe that the money from Palace will be invested in the playing side then you must have been asleep for thirteen years. The wages can be paid now without approval from an Indian judge, the lights can stay on and the milkman paid.

Yep.

Selling players to keep the lights on is where we're at now.

I went to watch Back to the Future the musical in London last night which is ironic as it's taken our owners only 13 years to take us all back to 1981.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

When you have a player of the calibre of Wharton walking out of the door, and players like Telalovic, Sigursson, Hirst, Ennis et al coming the other way, there's only one direction we're heading in, I'm afraid.

You've just confirmed that we're already heading in that direction because we haven't a pot to piss in without selling.

Just ridiculous to be selling him now days before the end of the window. We'll spend a few million in the next few days, and then the rest of the money will never be seen of again. 

Even more when you think he's almost certainly only gonna get more valuable from now till the summer, and we'd have a fair chance of getting a bidding war going then as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Here’s where I stand.

22M guaranteed is a lot of money. It’s our record sale. 

Adam’s the best player we will produce in a long, long time. But the squad needs investment, we have three or four key positions which need strengthening and we don’t have the funds to do that without selling Adam. Selling a homegrown player for 22M means there cannot be any argument with FFP for years to come. Venkys and Waggott, your excuse is now null and void.

This is the “model” which we have been told the club will run by. Buy cheap — or develop internally — and sell at the best point for the club. 

So Gregg, here’s your chance. Your job is on the line. We need a goal scoring striker, a winger, a playmaker central midfielder and an experienced centre back. If you fail to get them, then you should be sacked for negligence. If the owners do not give you the money to do your job then you need to walk as it won’t get better than this. 

Jon, this is your chance too. If you get the four first team players needed and the problems we’ve been having continue then you’re not up to the job either. 

The next 18 months are the most important in the clubs recent history. 

Bang on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I just had a short exchange with someone at the club and he basically said they’ve no clue what they’ll be allowed to spend of the Wharton money.

With circa 50 hours of the window left, that is hugely unsurprising, but still extremely alarming.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

If a figure of 22 million plus add ons/ sell on fee is to be correct I see it as a common sense piece of business.
We are where we are , a floundering, badly supported town club . I like Wharton , he seems a really decent lad , obviously talented BUT…he has lots to learn without the ball, not sure about his work ethic and God forbid , he could pick up a considerable injury  (Dack) just before a probable sale . …don’t think we’re in any position not to grab this.

I wish him all the very best, I hope he goes on to fulfill his massive potential and we see him , one day, in an England shirt. 

I too wish him the very best and your highlighted comment means that the goons running our club must include a substantial sell on clause in the deal. The fact that Adam is going to Palace can only mean, if he fulfils his potential, that his next move should be to a more substantial prem club or even abroad.  20% should be the minimum. I wouldn't bet on it though nor that any of the transfer money will be re-invested properly.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Here’s where I stand.

22M guaranteed is a lot of money. It’s our record sale. 

Adam’s the best player we will produce in a long, long time. But the squad needs investment, we have three or four key positions which need strengthening and we don’t have the funds to do that without selling Adam. Selling a homegrown player for 22M means there cannot be any argument with FFP for years to come. Venkys and Waggott, your excuse is now null and void.

This is the “model” which we have been told the club will run by. Buy cheap — or develop internally — and sell at the best point for the club. 

So Gregg, here’s your chance. Your job is on the line. We need a goal scoring striker, a winger, a playmaker central midfielder and an experienced centre back. If you fail to get them, then you should be sacked for negligence. If the owners do not give you the money to do your job then you need to walk as it won’t get better than this. 

Jon, this is your chance too. If you get the four first team players needed and the problems we’ve been having continue then you’re not up to the job either. 

The next 18 months are the most important in the clubs recent history. 

The problem with the above is that if GB muffs up the recruitment again it's unlikely anyone will sack him and he definitely won't walk.

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Assuming we survive relegation - which has just become a lot less likely, we can make excuses again this summer about transitions and rebuilds. The never ending journey that never comes to a conclusion can start again if we are lucky. There will be the odd bit of hope along the way, we will all be foolish enough to get excited from time to time, until another crisis comes along to remind us hope is futile and ambition is frowned upon.

Why am i seeing so many people on here act as if Adam has been a game changer for us this season? His ability to find a pass is frighting but almost an unneeded luxury for us at the moment, Christ he was even compared to Bale at Spurs earlier. I would have like to wait until the summer but realistically his value isn't jumping that much between now and the end of the season anyway and we are always one unfortunate tackle away from a another Dack situation.

• Like 6