BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 7/10/23

Enjoyable day all round.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Tronstadt reminds me of Mecky - for those of my generation. Industrious, unspectacular, link up play. Left foot in obvious awe of the right one.

Some obvious confusion between goalkeeper and defence early doors. For example, passing almost into trouble inside the penalty area, miscommunication between Hyam and our GK. These things don't appear on the stats but they're crucial.

It can't be easy for a keeper coming into a team leaking 3 and 4 goals per game. This is such an important position. We have to make the Wahlstedt experiment work. Juggling keepers is going to bite us on the ass otherwise.

Edited by Tabula Rasa
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I read on here that we had 1300 or so fans there Saturday and I read somewhere else that the away end was sold out.

If both are true did we only get an allocation of 1300 then?

Seems odd. Away end wasn't full.

We only had the top tier of the away stand and sold it out. Not massive numbers but interestingly I don’t think we sold the top tier out last year despite being in a far better league position and run of form.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He also played the majority of the Cardiff game where he looked out of his depth and I didnt see any attributes that stood out. 

Plus he also can barely get any minutes in a side that has had no fit strikers.

I hate this idea that we can only judge a player based on a certain number of minutes, as if we should not discuss him before. Had he scored 2 in those minutes and/or really stood out those same people would naturally be judging him and waxing lyrical and rightly so. Lets judge as we go and we all hope he makes the massive step up.

I used to go to games with a pal of mine who was a scout for City back in the day. He’d been an England schoolboy international and signed for Utd  before he did his cruciate when he was 18. That was career ending then. So he knew his football.

Many a time he’d gone to scout a player and we’d be gone well before the end of the game. Sometimes at half time he’d say “ Come on we’re going, I’ve seen enough “.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

And that’s fair enough, you have to take any win (and defeat) with a pinch of salt. They looked like they’d given up second half, certainly weren’t busting a gut for their manager and are obviously a poor side who could well go down.

On the flip side it’s why I wasn’t particularly upset with the Leicester game. A thrashing on the surface but we gave a far better set of players a good game for long periods. 

All about context.

It looked like they’d given up on Ainsworth.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

In fairness Jim does have half a point, QPR look a terrible team, I was half expecting to wake up to news of Ainsworth being sacked.

That being said, one of our problems has been converting chances, you can't deny that problem went away yesterday, let's hope its not temporary. We could have done without the damn international break disrupting the momentum from yesterday.

I get your point but it gives us two weeks to get the guys who’ve hardly played more time to get up to speed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Tronstad in my view did exactly what Tomasson brought him here to do namely keep the ball moving and recycle it. He was good in the tackle and creative when the opportunity arose. His fitness isn't quite there yet but I see enough to appreciate why we brought him in.

Thankyou for reply 👍🏻

It doesn't help when people and the club kept trumpeting 'we've sold out the away END' instead of sold our allocation or sold out away section.

I think it's a big stretch of anyone's imagination to think we'd sold 3k for a trek down there whilst in the bottom 3rd of the championship.

9 minutes ago, pick32 said:

B34A73DE-5D3B-46A5-9502-56C4AFB8CCEB.jpeg

Anybody lumping on Sammi to score 20 league goals? Probably not 1000/1 like BBD was but still healthy odds I dare say.

Also the reason why not bringing in another goalscorer may not be as important as first thought.

The goals will really be spread around this season 

• Like 1

I fancied us to play the way we have been doing and give QPR a thrashing and so it turned out.

Sinclair Armstrong looks a unit for them. Unlike Lyndon Dykes, there could be a player in him. Chair is struggling in a struggling side.

Notable that we have run riot scoring goals with what could generously be described as experimental line ups - Walsall, Harrogate, Cardiff and now QPR.

Who needs Diaz or recognised strikers?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to go to games with a pal of mine who was a scout for City back in the day. He’d been an England schoolboy international and signed for Utd  before he did his cruciate when he was 18. That was career ending then. So he knew his football.

Many a time he’d gone to scout a player and we’d be gone well before the end of the game. Sometimes at half time he’d say “ Come on we’re going, I’ve seen enough “.

Yes, it takes 2 mins to rule a player out, probably need 4 or 5 watches to confirm he's worth a trial.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

1300 for a game down there at £31 a ticket is excellent. First Saturday London fixture of the season so obviously our south east based fans came out in good numbers.

Plenty of Northerners around me, maybe 20% from the South I'd guess. 

Cracking day out, we've got some really skillful individual players and the speed we break with is so impressive. 

Siggy is going to score a lot of goals this year. JRC is absolute class. Dolan much improved and gives everything. Sammie runs his heart out. Dom Hyam a rock at the back. Really impressed with Hill as well, he was loving the noise from the away end.

QPR were absolutely awful though, felt for Ainsworth. 

• Backroom

The only thing that concerned me yesterday was the amount of shots QPR had at our goal - 21. Now obviously QPR weren't very good and quite a few of those shots were no-hopers anyway, but we need to try and reduce the amount of shots teams have at our goal, as we've seen better teams have been punishing us for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

The only thing that concerned me yesterday was the amount of shots QPR had at our goal - 21. Now obviously QPR weren't very good and quite a few of those shots were no-hopers anyway, but we need to try and reduce the amount of shots teams have at our goal, as we've seen better teams have been punishing us for that.

I know what you mean but 14 of those shots landed in North Yorkshire

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Good old Super Atko, absolutely love that guy.

I agree. One of my favourite players of all time for Rovers!

54 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

QPR were absolutely awful though, felt for Ainsworth. 

I don't understand the QPR transfer strategy under QPR. They don't have much quality in that team and I do wonder why Dykes is playing the main 9 striker. If QPR was to sack Ainsworth who would they turn to that would improve them when the squad can't be add to for over 2 months 

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I know what you mean but 14 of those shots landed in North Yorkshire

As I said, most of the shots were no-hopers so it didn't matter yesterday, but our goals conceded column shows it has mattered against better teams. Even Rotherham, who are worse than QPR this season, put a couple past us. It was fantastic to keep a clean sheet yesterday and there's nothing to complain about as far as the result or overall performance is concerned. Just a minor concern.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I fancied us to play the way we have been doing and give QPR a thrashing and so it turned out.

Sinclair Armstrong looks a unit for them. Unlike Lyndon Dykes, there could be a player in him. Chair is struggling in a struggling side.

Notable that we have run riot scoring goals with what could generously be described as experimental line ups - Walsall, Harrogate, Cardiff and now QPR.

Who needs Diaz or recognised strikers?

I had a look at Armstrong’s stats - he’s only scored one goal for QPR.