BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

I don't think anybody could argue that we have played much better this season and lost, several times in fact. But I'll take that winning feeling after a stodgy performance over all the accolades we have had from opposition managers. We weren't anywhere near the levels we have been at recently but against an opponent who makes things difficult the win was immensely satisfying. Clean sheets are the key for me and our two in succession have given us a platform to kick on now. I can't really think of an outstanding player on the day although there were moments of real quality from some individuals. In truth the players were nowhere near where we want them to be but tonight I couldn't care less. Similarly I don't care about Cardiffs bleating about their disallowed goal. We have been on the receiving end of a few of them this season so I'll take that.

We have two games in quick succession now where we can get more points on the board. Six would be delightful but I'd snatch your hand off for four right now.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

I used to think Benni McCarthy was fat. Some player.

To be fair, when Benni went to West Ham, he did actually get fat (for a professional sportsman).

Ennis just has that body shape naturally, I don't think he's carrying too much body fat.

• Like 6

Went to the game and surprised at the stick Dolan got on here, he was by far the best forward and a fantastic ball for the winner. If I didn't know different, I'd think some were actually looking for it. 

Crap game but cracking win. Fantastic save from Wahlstedt from their one shot. 

Onwards to Millwall, another game with a fag paper between the two teams, another one nil would be great. 

• Like 4

A strange afternoon.  The attendance seemed quite a bit down on recent home games and the small away following was a disappointment.  First half I don't think we did much wrong until the final ball, against a very defensive Cardiff team. I thought the goal might up things a bit and there were a few moments of excitement after which we seemed to let them into the game.  Leo's save towards the end - I was directly behind it on the Riverside (loos) was brilliant and earned us the three points.

I guess the new centre midfield pairing, alongside Hill gives us more solidity, but rather less creativity.  Two clean sheets and two wins suggests it's the right approach for now.

Pinor Noir tonight.   

Edited by Paul Mellelieu
Leo not Theo.
  • Like 2

3,500 walk ons today, which is plenty (and certainly not ‘quite a bit down’ on recent games), sell more STs if you want bigger crowds, simple as that, and we won’t be doing that with that plonker running the joint.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

A strange afternoon.  The attendance seemed quite a bit down on recent home games and the small away following was a disappointment.  First half I don't think we did much wrong until the final ball, against a very defensive Cardiff team. I thought the goal might up things a bit and there were a few moments of excitement after which we seemed to let them into the game.  Theo's save towards the end - I was directly behind it on the Riverside (loos) was brilliant and earned us the three points.

I guess the new centre midfield pairing, alongside Hill gives us more solidity, but rather less creativity.  Two clean sheets and two wins suggests it's the right approach for now.

Pinor Noir tonight.   

Who’s this Theo you talk of? 😀

11 minutes ago, M_B said:

Went to the game and surprised at the stick Dolan got on here, he was by far the best forward and a fantastic ball for the winner. If I didn't know different, I'd think some were actually looking for it. 

Crap game but cracking win. Fantastic save from Wahlstedt from their one shot. 

Onwards to Millwall, another game with a fag paper between the two teams, another one nil would be great. 

Good to hear. Hard to fully judge him when not watching live

Good win, performance not great but all that matters is 3 points today. Its was tight game with limited action at either end. Cardiff set up very organised and structure well defensively. 

We created the best 2 chances of the game and JRC had both chances scored 1. He suits his midfield role totally. 

Tronstad best player for me. protects the back four, tackle and pass plus keep it simple . 

Wahlstedt made a great save second half. 

Our tempo was too slow today which was disappointed but its 2 wins and 2 clean sheets back to back. Would be delighted with another 2 wins this week but would be happy with 4 points 

JDT;s Blue and White Army 🔵

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

3,500 walk ons today, which is plenty (and certainly not ‘quite a bit down’ on recent games), sell more STs if you want bigger crowds, simple as that, and we won’t be doing that with that plonker running the joint.

The BBE did have a few more gaps than normal, maybe a few ST holders gave it a miss. 

• Like 1

Like Hill at fullback which puts JRC in a midfield role where he looks really good, Dolan did do better but its whether he can keep up the consistency as he tends to have more bad games than, 3 points which is the main thing, Carter man of match wrong decision in my opinion should have been Tronstad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Just got home after celebrating the win this afternoon to hear the news about the passing of Sir Bobby Charlton.

Sad news indeed, one of Englands greatest, a truly remarkable player .RIP

Yes very sad. My true footballing hero as a kid growing up in the 1960s. Didn’t much care about United but Charlton, Law and Best were fantastic. Probs Englands best ever performer was Bobby and so humble with it. Believe he passed up on Utds European Cup win  party in 1968 to go and pay respects to his mates and colleagues from Munich who didn’t survive. Speaks volumes about him and his values. RIP Sir Bobby. The football world will never forget him.

• Like 1

Carter did well but yet again he always has that donkey moment in every game…He gave the ball away in dangerous position which could have led to them getting back into it…Will be a player that goes next season 10m+ add ons should do the trick…Unpopular opinion, he’s easily replaceable and we probably only need to spend 1m of that fee to get someone just as good.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Strange old game today. If we have a decent centre forward, we would have walked the game . We are basically playing without one (no false nine stuff).

Goalie, back four and Tronstradt looked comfortable all day. That's a great base to build from.

Attacking wise, Dolan is just miles off it. Genuine basic technical deficiencies. He has set the goal up, can't knock that.

The interesting question is our best player, Wharton. We are poorer going forward, but more solid without him. I love the kid. If we can get a centre forward and get Wharton nearer to him, could be magic.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

A strange afternoon.  The attendance seemed quite a bit down on recent home games and the small away following was a disappointment.  First half I don't think we did much wrong until the final ball, against a very defensive Cardiff team. I thought the goal might up things a bit and there were a few moments of excitement after which we seemed to let them into the game.  Leo's save towards the end - I was directly behind it on the Riverside (loos) was brilliant and earned us the three points.

Pinor Noir tonight.   

The new CM pairing is no less creative than A. Wharton and Travis - they just go wandering less. Travis plays much further up the field (I guess they really don't want him receiving the ball in our own half), which leaves huge gaps on the break.

Hill is much less adventurous than JRC or Brittain, but he provides us with defensive stability at RB. Until he has a shocker, or a team works us out, I'd stick with him there. 

I thought it was a very professional win - nowhere near as gung-ho as we've been at times this season, but on another day JRC could have had a hattrick and a better player in Dolan's position would have taken at least one of his chances. 

4 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Strange old game today. If we have a decent centre forward, we would have walked the game . We are basically playing without one (no false nine stuff).

Goalie, back four and Tronstradt looked comfortable all day. That's a great base to build from.

Attacking wise, Dolan is just miles off it. Genuine basic technical deficiencies. He has set the goal up, can't knock that.

The interesting question is our best player, Wharton. We are poorer going forward, but more solid without him. I love the kid. If we can get a centre forward and get Wharton nearer to him, could be magic.

Yes great to see Trondstadt filling that position we’ve been so obviously missing all season. Could be advantageous now for Adam to do his stuff further forward now we have a midfielder to break up play and protect the defence. Think this set up would suit Bucko much better whom we need to recall in January 

• Like 1