BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan "Birdy" Birkbeck - RIP

• K-Hod pinned this topic

I first met Birdy properly on the infamous trip to Pune some 10 years or so ago. I had gone as a Fans Forum member but he turned up with a few mates who had flown out there themselves. 

He has also been on the Forum for a number of years subsequently and I regularly saw him at away games as well. As others have said he could be a bit awkward but his heart was very much in the right place, usually covered in a Rovers red rose.

Given his history and the award he got for his efforts the club would I think be amenable to some form of action to remember him on Friday night, subject of course to the approval of his wife Annette, who of course was always at his side at games.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

I first met Birdy properly on the infamous trip to Pune some 10 years or so ago. I had gone as a Fans Forum member but he turned up with a few mates who had flown out there themselves. 

He has also been on the Forum for a number of years subsequently and I regularly saw him at away games as well. As others have said he could be a bit awkward but his heart was very much in the right place, usually covered in a Rovers red rose.

Given his history and the award he got for his efforts the club would I think be amenable to some form of action to remember him on Friday night, subject of course to the approval of his wife Annette, who of course was always at his side at games.

Well said. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I was a regular on the Ewood Blues coach for a good few years. He often came across as a bit gruff, but a real heart of gold.

Obviously he was the ultimate Rover for his own attendance record and commitment, but he also looked after so many fans over the years, especially taking young ‘uns under his wing on their first away days. The work and organisation he put into it with all the games, weekend trips, foreign tours and all the rest of it was so very much appreciated.

RIP 💙 

Birdy could come across a bit grumpy! Wherever I went watching Rovers he was there. He was at Boro or Sunderland a  while back with his leg in plaster and on crutches!

RIP Birdy.   

Dont think we'll see the like again. 

• Backroom
43 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I remember at ‘Uncle Jacks’ after our return from Pune, myself and Tris were in attendance for an open fans meeting, Birdy made sure we stood and gave a full account of events. I was happy to speak anyway but I certainly wasn’t going to stay quiet after Birdys efforts to get there

I can’t recall the others but Birdy; John Pittard and the rest deserved some credit for making their way there.

• Like 1

RIP Birdy 

Never met the man, but would always see him at away games when I lived down in London. There's a warm feeling you get when you clock that sort of commitment. Awful midweek trips down to places like Millwall in the winter. Diehard supporters like him are a credit to their clubs. Hopefully we win it for him on Friday. 

• Like 6

Don’t think I met him personally but Birdy was always a fixture both home and away. Rovers were obviously a massive part of his life (as it is for many of us fans) but he took supporting Rovers to the highest level. Well done that man! RIP 

Hope the club put on something special for him on Friday night

• Like 2

Have come across some fans who run him close, but Birdy’s dedication was unique.

Spoke with him on several occasions, most recently at the Girona pre season friendly, though he (and his wife Annette) did make me feel guilty every time I’d decided to watch a mid week away match from home, rather than taking a day off work to go to Ipswich or Sunderland or latterly Millwall!

Characters like him are what small town, provincial clubs like Rovers are built on.

I can only imagine how proud he must have been to see the club scale the highest of heights and win the Premier League along with European adventures and domestic cup glory! 

Rest in peace Birdy

• Like 6