BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (h) - 29/11/23 - 7.45 pm

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Dolan's been good recently, and HL has obvious potential, but Gally should be back in as the No9. He might not be prolific but he's a genuine outlet because of his pace. I think he was starting to hit form as a No9 when he got injured, he's jut unfortunately made of glass. 

Think JDT appreciates his work rate so he trusts him. He could easily play the RW position too. 

I think JDT likes Gally because of his size and he values him as much for his defending in our half as his attacking play in their half. We always seem to be a much smaller side than our opponents, probably because we usually are.

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Has he put on muscle/weight? Looks stronger, but also heavier - mustn't become too sluggish. I was sceptical towards him but this season he's convinced me he'll become a good player at this level. 

Since the West Brom game on day one of looks like he has bulked up. He held the ball up particularly well on a few occasions with Birmingham players looking to out muscle him. His confidence to turn and play Szmodics in for the second goal is a measure of his improvement for me.

3 hours ago, Neal said:

Can't keep signing forwards Jim when we already have 2 new ones yet to prove themselves, a lad from the academy scoring goals and Gally (when fit). Sign another one and it blocks the pathway for Leanord, Telalovic and Ennis. At some point you simply have to get a tune out of what you have. Keep gambling on forwards that may or may not score goals is not a wise transfer plan and besides, 7 goals in our last 2 games would suggest scoring goals simply isn't a problem. 

People are too quick to write off Telalovic. I've learned my lessons on this after writing off Szmodics and JRC. I know some who had written off Tronstadt. Now all 3 would be in everyone's first 11. Our manager is proven at developing players so we should probably hold our tongues in future. 

In January, if we look like we can make a dent in the top 6, we should sign a striker. We can't wait for Ennis to get fit, Telalovic to become a superstar, or Leonard to come of age.

Sammie is on 13, the closest to him is Sig on 4. So unless someone else steps up and starts contributing more regularly, it's going to be a big ask to expect SS to deliver every game. Of course it'd be great if it was Leonard, Ennis or Telalovic.

• Like 2

I've high hopes for Harry Leonard. He's got a great first touch so links the play up well and he's also getting better and better at using his body to shield the ball.

He's snatched at a few chances this season but he does seem an intelligent player which helps with both his link up play and being in the right place at the right time, so the chances keep coming. 

I can see him gradually getting better throughout the season and competing to be first choice next year. Very refreshing to see an attacking player coming from our academy after scores of defenders and central midfielders.

A few have said it already, but it's crazy that Gallagher could learn a thing or two from him given their respective ages.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Harry Leonard has started thirteen games this season, scored three goals and has two assists. He is improving before our eyes and most importantly is nineteen years old.

3 hours ago, Gamst21 said:

I think Leonard will grow into a fantastic player for us. His first game against WBA I thought he bullied Kipre and Ajayi and for a 19 year old, really impressive stuff.

2 hours ago, wilba23 said:

I think Leonard's going to be a star for us. He already holds the ball up and occupies defenders better than Gally, always seems to be getting in the right places and isn't afraid to shoot. Yes he's a bit raw still but at 19 you can't expect the completed package.

He's 20. Just for the sake of accuracy, not saying he should be the finished article at 20 either.

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I wasn't going to say but seeing as you've quoted me....yeah, it was you, but you did the same with JRC. You're very quick to write players off who have hardly had a chance. 

I havent written him off though. I dont think hes ready to be the main striker at a Championship side, he clearly is talented and has plenty of promise. Physically, his injury recently was put down by Tomasson to not being used to regular football at this level. If I said he is shit or will never make it here, then youd have more of a point.

Rankin Costello was different. I think most had written him off including Tomasson hence why he was about to be let go, at least on loan. His form since was remarkable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I dont know... Our forward play is very dependent on good link up, and probably Gallaghers weakest aspect is his touch and passing.

I wouldn't be that surprised if he ends up joining the queue. JDTs pretty ruthless.

JDT has said himself that a team evolves as the season goes on - players drop out of favour, other players one in from the cold etc. 

Gally was his first choice striker when Gally was fit earlier this season. I think he trusts him. I also think he's another that is better than what he is given credit for. I think he'll be straight back in when fit.....could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Leonard was brilliant last night. He scored and had an assist, his hold up play was excellent, and his ability on the ball was impressive too. He has all the right attributes to be a top striker for us. 

Interesting that JDT has decided not to make any subs in the second half of games recently (not counting half time or the 90th minute when we've already won the game). For me, the subs were the reason we lost the game at Preston and why the game has turned against us so late in games this season. The likes of Markanday coming on turn the game in the favour of the opposition. Think that will change when we get some of our injured players back.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

JDT has said himself that a team evolves as the season goes on - players drop out of favour, other players one in from the cold etc. 

Gally was his first choice striker when Gally was fit earlier this season. I think he trusts him. I also think he's another that is better than what he is given credit for. I think he'll be straight back in when fit.....could be wrong. 

Gally won't be match fit for a while, Leanords done enough to keep him on the bench

9 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Get the pitchforks ready lads but I think Leo should have kept out their first goal. 

Both goals actually. 

He over anticipates needing to dive low going either side of him and in so doing made himself too small to stop a shot going high. But it is percentages- Brum punted so many shots high and over that I think Leo was right to bet on them driving it low and hard when they had a clear sight of netting particularly seeing videos of recent goals they have scored.

The second had to be absolutely precise to get it up over and down from the edge of the area - commentary said it took a slight deflection to cause the dip.

Having said that, It was another improving performance from Wahlstedt and the save from Janokovicz was exceptionally sharp. 

Edited by philipl
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, philipl said:

Both goals actually. 

He over anticipates needing a low drive going either side of him and in so doing made himself too small to stop a shot going high. But it is percentages- Brum punted so many shots high and over that I think Leo was right to bet on them driving it low and hard when they had a clear sight of netting particularly seeing videos of recent goals they have scored.

The second had to be absolutely precise to get it up over and down from the edge of the area - commentary said it took a slight deflection to cause the dip.

Having said that, It was another improving performance from Wahlstedt and the save from Janokovicz was exceptionally sharp. 

Could this be a case of unhealthy perfectionism Phillip? 🤣

It didn't help Leo that Dembele had a practically free strike at the ball from less than 10 yards in front of him, and managed to bend it around Hill

For the 3rd goal it came off Wharton which caused a wicked dip but I do think he should have got a hand to it. Goalkeepers practice these type of reactions all the time. I'd chalk that one down as a mistake

Was a smart stop from Juki but yeah the first whilst it was from close range it was very central, he ends up pushing it more into the top corner area but I think he should have kept it out. 

2nd one did take a deflection and moved very fast so can't complain on that one.

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It did indeed. Although I always thought it was David Gold who said that, not Bruce. That could be my memory playing tricks though.

Good shout.

But Blues chairman Gold also believes that the 30-year-old was struggling to cope with the pressure of playing for the club. 

"Lots of people don't believe it was just issues with his family," Gold told Sky Sports News. 

"I think it was lots of things that led to the transfer and that's one of them that Robbie has said. 

"I think one of them is that the pressure of playing for a big club like Birmingham has played on Robbie's mind and I think he'll be better off at a smaller club. 

"There will be less pressure on him and we wish him well. 

• Like 1

Loved the crisp passing stuff for the first 20 of the second half. Even the playing out from the back. There is no doubt that when we get those triangles and one touch stuff right we look wonderful. Think the players got a little overexcited once we got to 3 and, clearly enjoying themselves wanted more. Just needed some composure then and a bit more nous. It would be nice to have a big striker so that we could have a plan B –early crosses, balls into the channels and so on.

Great win. Loved it. Light years beyond Mowbray’s comprehension. JDT working miracles with minimal resources and a dysfunctional set up.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Dolan's been good recently, and HL has obvious potential, but Gally should be back in as the No9. He might not be prolific but he's a genuine outlet because of his pace. I think he was starting to hit form as a No9 when he got injured, he's jut unfortunately made of glass. 

Think JDT appreciates his work rate so he trusts him. He could easily play the RW position too. 

I really don't rate Gallagher especially in the system JDT wants to play.

He's go no anticipation in the box and his movement off the ball is rubbish, he's not a clinical finisher, he can't hold the ball up and he can't pass it. If we played two upfront and played more direct he'd be useful as a battering ram. At the moment he's best used as a sub late on to use his pace in behind. 

I think Leonards got a real chance here. He's only 20 (a young 20, if you think about the year lost in his development) and He's improved a lot from the end of last season when he made his debut. He's got a decent touch, can hold the ball up, bring others in to play and He's starting to adapt physically the level. You can see him becoming more and more comfortable with the pace of the game.

He works hard and can press well. But it's his movement that stands out to me, he finds space well and makes clever runs in and out the box. His problem in his last few appearances has been taking chances but you'd like to think that'll improve given his age that'll come. Ultimately he's got it between the ears, and that can be a very hard thing to teach (Gallagher the perfect example of how both JDt and Mowbray failed to mould him into a proper no.9).

I really think that if he continues his progression then he will become the ideal striker for this system.

I managed to watch the second half on Rovers TV. What a horrible web site is the Rovers; not easy. Still couldn't watch it on full screen.

Anyway, we played some brilliant football but after the third goal we should have changed the game by making it scrappy. Plenty of throw-ins to them in their own half. Nothing better than a stop-start game for preventing the opposition from getting going. But our youngsters haven't got that nous yet.

Leonard is improving every game.

I'm feeling satisfied.

13 minutes ago, bazza said:

I managed to watch the second half on Rovers TV. What a horrible web site is the Rovers; not easy. Still couldn't watch it on full screen.

Anyway, we played some brilliant football but after the third goal we should have changed the game by making it scrappy. Plenty of throw-ins to them in their own half. Nothing better than a stop-start game for preventing the opposition from getting going. But our youngsters haven't got that nous yet.

Leonard is improving every game.

I'm feeling satisfied.

Glad you managed to watch some of the game Barry. The second half was certainly worth the perseverance with Rovers TV, which I agree is very clunky and needs an overhaul (Oh wait, haven’t we just had  one? ) 

• Like 1