BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (h) - 29/11/23 - 7.45 pm

It's incredible to think that we are scoring the number of goals we are and yet have hardly played a recognized striker all season.

Praise has to go to JDT for that and also to Sammie Szmods who is having the season he could only dream of.  If there is one player we need to wrap in cotton wool at the moment it's him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

1400 travelling fans from the second biggest city in the country, home crowds of 18k or so.

Their support can’t hold a candle to ours pro rata.

That's the point and why they ended up with the 'big club' moniker on here but it seems to have flown over a few heads.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Was thinking on the way home last night, trying to keep my brain warm:

If/when Gallagher is back - does he walk straight into the team? Where would you play him if so? 

Dolan's been good recently, and HL has obvious potential, but Gally should be back in as the No9. He might not be prolific but he's a genuine outlet because of his pace. I think he was starting to hit form as a No9 when he got injured, he's jut unfortunately made of glass. 

Think JDT appreciates his work rate so he trusts him. He could easily play the RW position too. 

41 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

No, they are writing him off. 'Not Championship-level' is a direct quote. 

37 minutes ago, 47er said:

From 1 person? And he could have been saying "not Championship level YET." That's true isn't it? He should  not be starting every game should he? He needs to be managed.

I am unsure if it was me or someone else but I dont think saying he wasnt Championship standard is writing him off. He had never started a senior game before this season. Hes clearly got something about him, his movement is very clever but even after yesterdays excellent performance, im not sure still youd want him as your first choice just because hes still so young and is quite raw. Far from writing him off, just that hes at the very start of his development as a first teamer. 

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Can't keep signing forwards Jim when we already have 2 new ones yet to prove themselves, a lad from the academy scoring goals and Gally (when fit). Sign another one and it blocks the pathway for Leanord, Telalovic and Ennis. At some point you simply have to get a tune out of what you have. Keep gambling on forwards that may or may not score goals is not a wise transfer plan and besides, 7 goals in our last 2 games would suggest scoring goals simply isn't a problem. 

People are too quick to write off Telalovic. I've learned my lessons on this after writing off Szmodics and JRC. I know some who had written off Tronstadt. Now all 3 would be in everyone's first 11. Our manager is proven at developing players so we should probably hold our tongues in future. 

The Telalovic situation is not very similar to Szmodics who had started a few games prior to a one game dip into the reserves. The potential to sign a forward will likely be removed by our terrible owners but if it was possible, unless Ennis or Telalovic do something that changes things between now and January, we need one. He doesnt ever want to bring on Telalovic which says alot and Ennis is never fit.

We cant not sign players for fears of blocking pathways. We need options in attack, maybe we could loan Telalovic out.

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Dolan's been good recently, and HL has obvious potential, but Gally should be back in as the No9. He might not be prolific but he's a genuine outlet because of his pace. I think he was starting to hit form as a No9 when he got injured, he's jut unfortunately made of glass. 

Think JDT appreciates his work rate so he trusts him. He could easily play the RW position too. 

Was of the same opinion but saw enough of Harry Leonard last night to see a player emerging capable of leading the line AND scoring his chances including ones he makes for himself. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s going to wreck our season if we can’t get some of the injured guys back asap. That’s almost a full team out injured. In the modern game your bench is as important as your first 11. Last nights bench was beyond weak. You need to be able to rest players on 70 minutes, especially if you’re going well. Flogging them for the full 90 minutes twice a week is only going to lead to more injuries.

Looking down that list I’d forgotten all about Ennis and Hedges !

What happened to Gilsenan ? He looked quite promising.

The worry is that it doesnt seem like any bar maybe Scott Wharton will be back soon.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am unsure if it was me or someone else but I dont think saying he wasnt Championship standard is writing him off. He had never started a senior game before this season. Hes clearly got something about him, his movement is very clever but even after yesterdays excellent performance, im not sure still youd want him as your first choice just because hes still so young and is quite raw. Far from writing him off, just that hes at the very start of his development as a first teamer. 

The Telalovic situation is not very similar to Szmodics who had started a few games prior to a one game dip into the reserves. The potential to sign a forward will likely be removed by our terrible owners but if it was possible, unless Ennis or Telalovic do something that changes things between now and January, we need one. He doesnt ever want to bring on Telalovic which says alot and Ennis is never fit.

We cant not sign players for fears of blocking pathways. We need options in attack, maybe we could loan Telalovic out.

I wasn't going to say but seeing as you've quoted me....yeah, it was you, but you did the same with JRC. You're very quick to write players off who have hardly had a chance. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

I think Leonard's going to be a star for us. He already holds the ball up and occupies defenders better than Gally, always seems to be getting in the right places and isn't afraid to shoot. Yes he's a bit raw still but at 19 you can't expect the completed package.

Tronstadt has been quietly immense the past few games and really lets Adam Wharton dictate play and launch attacks. I hope with a run of games Siggy can start to show his early season form again as he was a bit sloppy in possession last night but maybe its just a lack of game time. Moran is proving vital and the link up play for the goals last night was glorious.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I thought 'Big Club' came from the Savage transfer.

I thought an annoyed Bruce said something like "I can't understand why he'd leave a big club like ours to go there", and it stuck.

It's all linked as that's when the usual crowd debates started flying from the Brum side i.e we get more than you so we are bigger etc etc

Then they brought 120 fans for a league cup game.....

• Like 2

7th in the league and its feels good to watch a team played some very good attacking football each game. 

Leonard is developing and he is going to be very good footballer and hopefully here for the next few years. Good assist and finish yesterday 

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There's no proof that we wouldn't have had JDT without GB but if that statement is true he's better at unearthing managers than players.

JDT was off to FC Zurich before GB approach and appoint him. Time for you to give GB some praise(for once) and admit your opinion on him was wrong. Excellent appointment of JDT and the signings of Szmodics, Hyam, Brittain, Hill, Moran and Tronstad. Some of his signings haven't work like Hirst or Thomas but no worse than previous managers record 

44 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Telalovic needs a loan 

Do you not think he would be better developing and learning from JDT?.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you not think he would be better developing and learning from JDT?.

Lets apply some critical thinking here.

He's a long term signing and he is banging them in a U21 level just as he did at his previous club. However he isn't getting a sniff of first team action here although always being on the bench here. That applies to whatever is happening on the pitch and Leonard is clearly the first choice.

You'd also assume at some point Ennis will be in front of him because he is way more likely to score given his pedigree.  So the net step is get him out somewhere for a bit more experience of English/British football because he is contributing nothing here and taking up bench/squad/wage space.

Then he's back in summer for a full pre season of hopefully working with JDT.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Harry Leonard has started thirteen games this season, scored three goals and has two assists. He is improving before our eyes and most importantly is nineteen years old. I find it difficult to be mildly critical of him and his potential is huge. Anybody writing him off clearly doesn't understand the game.

He's started 6 games and been subbed on in 7 (basically he's played 34% of our total minutes and has 5 goal contributions).

My worry about Leonard is his finishing - I don't know if he's clinical enough. I do think he'll have a long career as a professional though. 

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's started 6 games and been subbed on in 7 (basically he's played 34% of our total minutes and has 5 goal contributions).

My worry about Leonard is his finishing - I don't know if he's clinical enough. I do think he'll have a long career as a professional though. 

I have high hopes for Leonard and think once he gets used to playing in the first team, he will be more composed and that will help him finish with more aplomb.

I don't think for one minute, he will turn into the legend he is, but a listen to the excellent podcast with Simon Garner and the lads, has Simon telling the story of how he turned down a move to Halifax. Had he not decide it was not for him, we would have lost him, before he got started.

I knew about him turning down a move, but what I didn't know, was the rift that caused between him and Howard Kendal (RIP) and hoe he only got back into the side due to an injury crisis.

3 hours ago, Neal said:

Can't keep signing forwards Jim when we already have 2 new ones yet to prove themselves, a lad from the academy scoring goals and Gally (when fit). Sign another one and it blocks the pathway for Leanord, Telalovic and Ennis. At some point you simply have to get a tune out of what you have. Keep gambling on forwards that may or may not score goals is not a wise transfer plan and besides, 7 goals in our last 2 games would suggest scoring goals simply isn't a problem. 

People are too quick to write off Telalovic. I've learned my lessons on this after writing off Szmodics and JRC. I know some who had written off Tronstadt. Now all 3 would be in everyone's first 11. Our manager is proven at developing players so we should probably hold our tongues in future. 

With all due respect we do need to keep signing forwards - forwards that are of use to the first team and not either injured/not good enough/future projects. "Oven ready" as one useless article used to say.

We have a small squad, alot of key players are injured, money is tight and we can't afford any passengers - which Ennis and Telelovic (sp?) are.

The squad as it stands at present is unsustainable over the course of the season and a serious push for the playoffs likely to be derailed because of it

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I dont know... Our forward play is very dependent on good link up, and probably Gallaghers weakest aspect is his touch and passing.

I wouldn't be that surprised if he ends up joining the queue. JDTs pretty ruthless.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I thought 'Big Club' came from the Savage transfer.

I thought an annoyed Bruce said something like "I can't understand why he'd leave a big club like ours to go there", and it stuck.

It did indeed. Although I always thought it was David Gold who said that, not Bruce. That could be my memory playing tricks though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Almost every time a Rovers player has a good game or even a good spell in a game, like Leonard last night, somebody pops up to claim the board wrote him off but they knew better. Same old shit game after game.

The vast majority on here believe they can see something in Leonard to be optimistic about and are prepared to be patient.

its like there is something peculiarly negative about our fans and its bullshit.

My post wasn't a generalisation to be critical of the majority of fans who I believe understand the game. I was referring to a few posts only, one in particular questioned his propensity to play in the Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverblue said:

Yeah I agree in some respects, but we still had a bench full last night and JDT actively chooses not to use it unless forced to. Garrett showed the impact a sub can make on Saturday yet no minutes last night when it was crying out for some fresh legs.

Hopefully when we get a load back from injury he starts to have more faith in the subs because its a weakness of ours at the moment with the drop in performance/conceding late goals.

I also think recruitment wise we need to diversify the type of players we have, its a bench full of the same players. Sometimes you just need a hammer instead of a bench full of screwdrivers!

Garrett was the surprise, I did think he could have made a difference when we were fading.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

To quote Tomasson some of the youngsters are 'learning on the job'. In an ideal world he would still be playing regularly in  under 21 football but needs must. I saw him score three against Preston in the Central League Cup recently and his finishing was first class.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

My post wasn't a generalisation to be critical of the majority of fans who I believe understand the game. I was referring to a few posts only, one in particular questioned his propensity to play in the Championship. 

Definitely wasn't getting at you!! perish the thought.

• Like 1