BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Eustace Or Useless?

So apparently JDT is gone.

I don't blame him one bit. He was a breath of fresh air in a very stale 13 years. 

Apparently John Eustace is set to take charge.

Will the club fuck this up?

As of this moment there has been no announcement that whoever was responsible for the McGuire fiasco has been fired. Why?

Venkys, Raos, Chicken Chokers, subhuman scum, whatever you call them OUT NOW!

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 5

• Upside Down changed the title to Eustace Or Useless?

I don't know much about Eustace or his playing style or anything really, apart from his playing days.

My biggest issue is the club were trying to setup an identity of playing as little as 2 years ago, something that would be instilled in the clubs DNA from the youngest age groups in the academy.

Is this an appointment just to save us from relegation or will he carry on the intended blueprint?

• Backroom

I’m coming around to the Eustace appointment, strictly in the context of the situation we find ourselves in. After reading around about him, including on a Brum forum, he meets a lot of the criticisms we have of JDT, and probably fits a DOF model better.

1. He focuses on defense and set pieces as a priority, then builds from there. This is what we’ve all said JDT struggles with, and is reminiscent of our better post-Walker managers: Hughes and Allardyce.

2. He is tactically flexible, using at various points in his Brum tenure: 442, 424, 532, and 3412. This suggests a flexibility that meets our need for change and reaction in-game, or in form dips, or injury/suspensions.

3. He is predominantly a man-manager rather than a coach, preferring to work with what he has, rather than square pegs in round holes.

4. Combining 1+2+3 suggests to me that he’d be willing to ‘wee with the willy we’ve got’, using the players brought in by the DOF and make it work, in a way that JDT never really did.

If this is successful we’ll like him, if not we won’t, I think he COULD be the best way (last chance) for this shitshow to work.

Either way:

Raos out. Suhail out. Waggott out.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 7

Assuming we'll have some kind of poll on here if JDT goes and Eustace isn't named immediately.

Who we thinking is a possibility? (Disclaimer - I'm just chucking names out there, not who I'd go for)

John Eustace

Paul Heckingbottom

Pep Lijnders

Scott Parker

Gareth Ainsworth

Alex Neil

Gary Rowett

Frank Lampard

Mark Hughes

Wayne Rooney

Nigel Pearson

David Wagner

Steve Cooper

37 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

I don't know much about Eustace or his playing style or anything really, apart from his playing days.

My biggest issue is the club were trying to setup an identity of playing as little as 2 years ago, something that would be instilled in the clubs DNA from the youngest age groups in the academy.

Is this an appointment just to save us from relegation or will he carry on the intended blueprint?

We need to step away from the blueprint in order to get some points that was the issue with JDT but no point bringing in a manager unless he can stamp his own style.

Knowing this lot they are only asking him to come until the end of the season.

Ironically, given the title of this thread there used to be a cartoon in the Daily Mirror called exactly that. It stuck with me and now we might have a manager by that very name. By the way I'm not writing him off (if he ever gets here).

artist_41-1950-600.jpg__345x300_q85.jpg

I find it very uninspiring.  Meh, blah, mmmff,  I wiuld have rather had JDT backed, as long as he figured iut how to defend   Or we could have just outscored the opposition had he been biught his strikers.  He simply HAS to be at.lesst a little successful.

Well Eustace has not got much professional league experience, but in his short term managing Birmingham (15 months) he came out on top in a relegation battle and got Birmingham into the playoff spots (albeit with a classic Championship 2 point gap to 11th, which puts it into perspective)...

So seems a better fit than JDT is to the current situation we are in. He seems a reasonable choice in the circumstances. I can't see too many others with the right experience of a relegation battle.

On his CV Alex Neil would also be a good choice I think, although his time at Stoke recently is a worry...

• Like 1

i know it's all quiet about GB, but this appointment has all of his hallmarks i feel. a very quick turnaround, which he has mentioned wanting to get a handle on before, researching candidates and having a solid list ready for as and when JDT left. his coaching style seems to fit the model well too as mentioned above.

time will tell, i suppose!

1 minute ago, nbdrovers said:

i know it's all quiet about GB, but this appointment has all of his hallmarks i feel. a very quick turnaround, which he has mentioned wanting to get a handle on before, researching candidates and having a solid list ready for as and when JDT left. his coaching style seems to fit the model well too as mentioned above.

time will tell, i suppose!

I disagree. He has made out in the past that Tomasson would be replaced by someone similar in style. Eustace isnt that, he is much more pragmatic and probably a better fit for a struggle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well Eustace has not got much professional league experience, but in his short term managing Birmingham (15 months) he came out on top in a relegation battle and got Birmingham into the playoff spots (albeit with a classic Championship 2 point gap to 11th, which puts it into perspective)...

So seems a better fit than JDT is to the current situation we are in. He seems a reasonable choice in the circumstances. I can't see too many others with the right experience of a relegation battle.

On his CV Alex Neil would also be a good choice I think, although his time at Stoke recently is a worry...

When I heard the news about Eustace yesterday I was relieved.

I really did think we were looking at the likes of McCall.

We do need someone more suitable for working at a basket case club, and this guy has proven he can keep that type of club out of danger.

Only sacked (harshly) due to an ownership change at Brum, and appears to be at least half decent.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I disagree. He has made out in the past that Tomasson would be replaced by someone similar in style. Eustace isnt that, he is much more pragmatic and probably a better fit for a struggle.

he said that LONG before the rug was pulled. he even said something of the ilk "plans can change and you've got to be ready for that" which is exactly what this would be. lists for jdt headhunted in the play-off places (similar style, foreign coach), lists for jdt sacked at the bottom of the table (pragmatic, rallying coach).

he isn't thick, he knows we need someone for a fight, which is seemingly why eustace fits the bill. young, coaching-forward, adaptable, relegation turnaround on his cv.

of course, all conjecture until anything official is announced, but i remain unconvinced he's gone... (watch him be the first to be announced as leaving now!)

Edited by nbdrovers

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Assuming we'll have some kind of poll on here if JDT goes and Eustace isn't named immediately.

Who we thinking is a possibility? (Disclaimer - I'm just chucking names out there, not who I'd go for)

John Eustace

Paul Heckingbottom

Pep Lijnders

Scott Parker

Gareth Ainsworth

Alex Neil

Gary Rowett

Frank Lampard

Mark Hughes

Wayne Rooney

Nigel Pearson

David Wagner