BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

6 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I've always thought Gallagher is scared to score. It's only when things are in his favour, eg Wrexham, that he looks like a striker. He's an absolute Nelly 

at 6"4 he`s the weediest centre forward i`ve ever seen,he should be an absolute menace instead of a  complete wet lettuce

• Like 3

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

Pretty pathetic and small minded  if he does.

Which is why Wharton’s move was a sensible one. A smaller Premier League club, but with a realistic chance of regular game time.

I still think people need to put themselves in the player’s shoes, though, when weighing up a big career decision like that.

They may say otherwise, but the vast majority of people would make the same decision that Phillips did.

Why is it pathetic and small minded?

The lad has been at Rovers since he was 12 years old and is looking forward to seeing old friends on his return (his words), yet he demanded the clause in his contract that allowed him to be sold for well under his market value.

Why would I cheer him? He's shafted the club that I support. He couldn't wait to leave. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

I think the right thing to do is to cheer Phillips loudly, get in his head a little bit and remind him where his loyalties should lie

His loyalties lie with his wallet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Being a Rovers supporter in the Venkys era always reminds me of a line from the theme song of "Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads".

"Is the only thing to look forward to the past?"

I always liked that song, still do.

It then autos into the theme tune of Crossroads, I take that as a good omen.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We all have different views!  

Yep 'Beamo' missed a lot but he never went 'missing in action', continuing to get in the right areas.

Hickman wasn't a great footballer, we know that, but my goodness, he had the heart of a lion, an aggression, a physicality and a presence that the opposition didn't like - a Travis on steroids!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Gally is a pussycat in comparison and as a minimum needs to put himself about a lot more.

As for comparing Gally to the Don - you have to be joking.  Don Martin was one of the classiest footballers Rovers had in that era.  Looked equally at home as a c/h, c/f or midfielder.  Convinced he would have played in Div 1 but for that horrible ankle break which took its toll. 

Don Martin did play in the first division, are you saying Hickman would get in over Szmodic. Beamo did not just miss chances, he missed absolute sitters. The words, "How did he miss that", went hand in hand with Beamo. 

do`nt get me going,im`e big on nostalgia at the moment having to put up with venkys for the last 14 years

piling onto a crumbling terrace

the smell of stale beer and cigar smoke

people p******s at the back of the blackburn end

shouting and singing what you want without  the threat of someone being offended

funny looking tea/coffee and pies that were hazardous to your health

going absolutely mental when we scored

arguing with my dad,who always wanted to stand in the "moaning old git section" right next to the fence between blackburn end and riverside

somebody build me a time machine,i want to go back to the eighties😁

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Why is it pathetic and small minded?

The lad has been at Rovers since he was 12 years old and is looking forward to seeing old friends on his return (his words), yet he demanded the clause in his contract that allowed him to be sold for well under his market value.

Why would I cheer him? He's shafted the club that I support. He couldn't wait to leave. 

I see where you're coming from but he did sign a contract which enabled Rovers to get a fee plus add ons.

He could have walked 12 months earlier for minimum compensation so he obviously wasn't that eager to leave until there was something he probably couldn't turn down financially.

Booing him is petty, best just to treat him with silence.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

do`nt get me going,im`e big on nostalgia at the moment having to put up with venkys for the last 14 years

shouting and singing what you want without  the threat of someone being offended

arguing with my dad,who always wanted to stand in the "moaning old git section" right next to the fence between blackburn end and riverside

I'll drop you off in the 80's, on my way to the 70's.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Or give me the first 5 years of the 90s or those first years with Souey. The Souey-years were the last special period for me. Lots of pride. Local and academy boys mixed with gruff experience. Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Friedel, Short, Tugay etc. Those were the days. Seems a faint memory now.

On to Plymouth. Don’t really now what to expect. But I know what I need and that is a convincing win with a plan and not gifted goals. With Wahlstedt in goal we need to outscore them so good opportunity to get some momentum going. 

And then I read what Eustace said in the LET….

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

Just now, rigger said:

I'll drop you off in the 80's, on my way to the 70's.

70s were cracking times to be a Rovers fan - bovril on a wet Tuesday evening against Hereford, the baying of rabid opposition supporters separated only by the merest whiff of metalwork, coins flying through the air from (and to) the Darwen End, being able to walk right round the ground so you were behind the 'scoring end' for the whole game, the smell of the crowd, Hollands pies, players training at Pleasington quite happily, talking with players getting the bus to the ground, proper turnstiles, teddy bears at half time in the Riverside, celebrating 1975, players and managers less concerned with 'systems' and more with sticking the ball in the onion bag, legendary goalkeepers and players living across the road (Roger Jones on Hollytree, Tony Parkes on Livesey Branch Rd opposite Station Garage when it was a petrol station), when 'being there' was more important that 'who owns the club'.

Them wer't days.

Miss em.

• Like 5

Better than expected line up with Brittain fit and Hedges on the bench. Siggy playing too offers us more of a goal threat.

Back 5 is sensible given who we have in goal. We have to stop any attacks at source as any efforts on our goal will probably go in. 

We will win today.

• Like 1

Just now, Devon Rover said:

And here we are another five man defence at home against the mighty Plymouth argyle

Attack, Attack, Attack attack attack!! 

Oh, ok then,....

Tippy tap, tippy tap, tippy tippy tippy tap... oh bollux 😞

Someone down at Ewood, close to the dressing room - please could you put the shooting boots out this afteroon?

Ta, muchly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

70s were cracking times to be a Rovers fan - bovril on a wet Tuesday evening against Hereford, the baying of rabid opposition supporters separated only by the merest whiff of metalwork, coins flying through the air from (and to) the Darwen End, being able to walk right round the ground so you were behind the 'scoring end' for the whole game, the smell of the crowd, Hollands pies, players training at Pleasington quite happily, talking with players getting the bus to the ground, proper turnstiles, teddy bears at half time in the Riverside, celebrating 1975, players and managers less concerned with 'systems' and more with sticking the ball in the onion bag, legendary goalkeepers and players living across the road (Roger Jones on Hollytree, Tony Parkes on Livesey Branch Rd opposite Station Garage when it was a petrol station), when 'being there' was more important that 'who owns the club'.

Them wer't days.

Miss em.

Those who were there will never forget the 5-2 beating of Plymouth, being 0-2 down at halftime after missing a penalty and scoring 5 goals in the second half to win it. Don Martin was brilliant that night. I’m pretty sure it was on my birthday 15/02/75. That was a must win game to get promoted from div 3. To say I was depressed at halftime and ecstatic at full time is putting it mildly!! It was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen at Ewood. I stood near the back of the Riverside in the middle. Great days. 😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Better than expected line up with Brittain fit and Hedges on the bench. Siggy playing too offers us more of a goal threat.

Back 5 is sensible given who we have in goal. We have to stop any attacks at source as any efforts on our goal will probably go in. 

We will win today.

I know what you mean. But a lightweight two man central midfield hasn't stopped attacks at source in previous games and it is unlikely to today. In my opinion, we have to start winning the midfield to get more control over games and assert ourselves on games, particularly at home. Lets hope Argyle are sufficiently crap that we get something here. We need 3 points from this one, whatever the manager's spin.

2 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Those who were there will never forget the 5-2 beating of Plymouth, being 0-2 down at halftime after missing a penalty and scoring 5 goals in the second half to win it. Don Martin was brilliant that night. I’m pretty sure it was on my birthday 15/02/75. That was a must win game to get promoted from div 3. To say I was depressed at halftime and ecstatic at full time is putting it mildly!! It was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen at Ewood. I stood near the back of the Riverside in the middle. Great days. 😊

1-2 at half time.  I remember it well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Memory playing tricks on you. It was a Saturday afternoon match and 1-2 at half time. We had missed a first half pen too.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:
10 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

And here we are another five man defence at home against the mighty Plymouth argyle

But the theory is that it is three defenders and two attacking half-backs. If they play that way we will just have to wait and see.

Ayari is a fair shout but agree, two man midfield looks very lightweight. Buckley & Ayari can tackle but can they track runners and bark orders to organise the team and get forwards tracking back?

I would prefer Chrisene in there to try and deal with Whittaker.

I am getting Brian Kidd flashbacks when he came in and got the team drawing games but not enough to save us. We’ll have to see.

Edited by riverholmes

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

But the theory is that it is three defenders and two attacking half-backs. If they play that way we will just have to wait and see.

It's a sound theory with decent players. Pickering and Brittain are nowhere near  competent attacking players. Even if they were, the central midfield being a two, is exposed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

Wahlstedt

Brittain

Hyam

McFadzean

Wharton

Pickering

Buckley

Ayari

Szmodics

Sigurdsson

Gallagher

Better than feared

Powder puff midfield. 

9 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

It's a sound theory with decent players. Pickering and Brittain are nowhere near  competent attacking players. Even if they were, the central midfield being a two, is exposed.

Not having three in central mid-field is a big problem for us.

Edited by rigger