BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Until the last two months of his tenure there was very little comment about Tomasson's style. We knew from day one what to expect and by and large he delivered, perhaps even exceeded our expectations. His downfall was his reluctance to change. For most games the football was enjoyable and pleasing on the eye. I see Eustace as polar opposite in his style of play and I don't believe he has the wherewithal to play another way. In many respects their attitudes are similar but I know which type of football I enjoyed watching more.

The most important thing is results and providing they are favourable then the majority will accept and say of playing.

Eustace has played at least 3 formations already during his time here. He's clearly not wedded to a style of football (at least not one that I can make out).

Right now it's backs-to-the-wall football. I gather at Kidderminster and Birmingham City (at least this season) it was much more progressive football. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

This game has no importance.

Tuesday the wankers are in court.

Hopefully they get told to fuck off in Indian legal terms. Bringing administration closer.

Nothing matters until they are banished forever.

I'd rather be sold than sent into administration, if it's all the same to you. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Eustace has played at least 3 formations already during his time here. He's clearly not wedded to a style of football (at least not one that I can make out).

Right now it's backs-to-the-wall football. I gather at Kidderminster and Birmingham City (at least this season) it was much more progressive football. 

His formations have always been the same except for Swansea when we played a back four for the second half. I guess this was driven by the fact we were two down. Ironically I think that half was as good as we've been under him. He reverted to his favoured system on Tuesday.

If you are saying he has played at least three formations so far which games were they in and what was the system.

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Like iv'e said most managers of his ilk would just do the same and just tighten up and not look to stretch or take risks and that's before you take into account injuries, knocks, poor keepers.

TM did it, Lambert did it but got Graham in to run channels, Neil would do it if he'd have come or Ainsworth or any number of others.  The sheer lack of bodies, quality and fatigue are also playing a massive part in how Eustace has to approach it at the min although at some point he'll simply have to take the shackles off and go for risk/reward.

Looking at the goal we did let in v Millwall i'm certain had we been more open and attacking we'd have lost that game by 2 or 3 scored on the break.

• Like 3

Pears out with concussion, Tronstad until after the international break, Hedges and Brittain massively doubtful and JRC still 3 or 4 weeks away.

Hard to see us winning even against opposition who themselves are really struggling at the moment.

No doubt a back 5 with Pickering on the wrong side where he is clearly not able to play.

I’ve still no idea where this myth of our “shored up back line”, “tightened up” and “back to basics” has come from. 
We look just as horrendous defensively and that’s with an extra CB and to the detriment of any attacking/progressive play remaining. 

Not a clue what some of you have been watching this past month.

On the attacking front we’ve had an xG above 1 just once in his 6 league games and that was 1.01 against Norwich. Those matches include Millwall, Swansea, Cardiff, Norwich, Preston, Birmingham - all outside the playoffs and we’re not even coming close to troubling them OR looking good defensively. (If you hate xG I’ve just used it to show how dire we are at creating anything now too)

• Like 9

Must win = must not lose for me.

A point from every game and we will probably survive

In view of our difficulties scoring and conceding soft goals I'd take another 1-1

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, superniko said:

I’ve still no idea where this myth of our “shored up back line”, “tightened up” and “back to basics” has come from. 
We look just as horrendous defensively and that’s with an extra CB and to the detriment of any attacking/progressive play remaining. 

Not a clue what some of you have been watching this past month.

On the attacking front we’ve had an xG above 1 just once in his 6 league games and that was 1.01 against Norwich. Those matches include Millwall, Swansea, Cardiff, Norwich, Preston, Birmingham - all outside the playoffs and we’re not even coming close to troubling them OR looking good defensively. (If you hate xG I’ve just used it to show how dire we are at creating anything now too)

I think the idea has come from us conceding a lot less goals.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Again - Pears was equally as bad against Swansea (palmed a ball into the danger area for the first goal and dived out of the way of the second goal), yet for some reason people are burying Wahlstedt and not Pears. 

We need a new GK - that much is clear. 

I made no comment about Pears.

But I also think he's crap, I've said it plenty of times when he's been the pretender.

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I made no comment about Pears.

But I also think he's crap, I've said it plenty of times when he's been the pretender.

Well, clearly, we would have already been safe with Kaminski. I just hope the transfer fee compensates for all the lost revenue on relegation..Oh, wait....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Well, clearly, we would have already been safe with Kaminski. I just hope the transfer fee compensates for all the lost revenue on relegation..Oh, wait....

If they got 20/1 though it won’t matter so long as the stakes were high enough. 

• Like 2

Monumental game in the season and for the future of the club, as will pretty much every game between now and the end of the season, but this feels especially important because it potentially provides a huge boost to the team if they can get their first win under JE.

Plymouth seem to be in a bit of disarray of their own, sounds like their current manager is on borrowed time already. I wonder if they could end up sacking him and Schumacher ending up back there if Stoke sack him as well before the season is out! It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, the game itself. I think (or maybe its just hope) that Rovers will win this one, 2-1 perhaps. I haven't the foggiest idea what the team will be but I'll attempt a prediction.

Wahlstedt

Hyam   McFadzean  Wharton

Pickering   Buckley   Ayari   Chrisene

Szmodics

Dolan    Gallagher

I really don't fancy Pickering at right wing back, but I suspect that's what he'll go with because I can't think of any other option other than sticking someone like Garrett there, unless Hedges somehow makes it.

Regardless, that is a team that looks incredibly poor on paper, Szmodics aside. Might be able to do a job in League One....

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Come summer we could well have sold 30 mill + of talent if Szmodics goes so some down there will proclaim the new 'model' is working.

Relegation is just a blip they couldn't care less if the bills are paid and commission and bonuses come through. Last time we went down it followed about 30 mill of sales with no reinvestment so i find it very hard to accept they don't know the risks they've created.

Last time Mowbray was given about 1.5 million to spend in lge 1 so don't be surprised if the idiots think it'll be that simple second time around.

• Like 1

After Tuesday I just can’t see how we’re going to win another game this season. The only time we’ve won since Christmas it took a team to basically not turn up for 30 minutes (Stoke)…in other words we can only beat opponents who roll over…and that ain’t happening in our final fixtures. The only bright spark in the recent gloom (apart from the continued scoring exploits of Sammy) is Buckley’s return to the side. I think he’d work well alongside Tronstad but alas (like half the squad) he’s made of glass and out for a few weeks so it’s a pairing with Garrett or Ayari which fills me with as much enthusiasm as a kick in the cojones. Dolan’s had his one good game for the second half of the season so he’ll just spin in endless circles achieving the square root of diddly squat before trotting off on 70 minutes to be replaced by another vertically challenged candyfloss PL2 demon who I’m sure must be legendary in 5-a-side but not for one second in the trenches. Basically we’re fucked. I’ve wasted a lot of words trying to say that. 

• Like 2

Eustace has already pissed most of the fans off without a ball being kicked. Not a must win my backside, get a sense of urgency ffs we're sleepwalking into league 1, although not sure I'm even arsed anymore.

With Wally in the nets I'll never be confident of a win. Pears illness/injury is ridiculous, sounds like he maybe just can't be arsed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Last time Mowbray was given about 1.5 million to spend in lge 1 so don't be surprised if the idiots think it'll be that simple second time around.

he also had a side that should never have been relegated and he was allowed the budget to keep it together,add dack to mulgrew,graham,conway,raya,nyambe and dare i say it elliot bennett and you had a side that was far to hot for league one,this time it`s not as easy,eustace needs 8/9 new players next season,regardless of what division we are in

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

After Tuesday I just can’t see how we’re going to win another game this season. The only time we’ve won since Christmas it took a team to basically not turn up for 30 minutes (Stoke)…in other words we can only beat opponents who roll over…and that ain’t happening in our final fixtures. The only bright spark in the recent gloom (apart from the continued scoring exploits of Sammy) is Buckley’s return to the side. I think he’d work well alongside Tronstad but alas (like half the squad) he’s made of glass and out for a few weeks so it’s a pairing with Garrett or Ayari which fills me with as much enthusiasm as a kick in the cojones. Dolan’s had his one good game for the second half of the season so he’ll just spin in endless circles achieving the square root of diddly squat before trotting off on 70 minutes to be replaced by another vertically challenged candyfloss PL2 demon who I’m sure must be legendary in 5-a-side but not for one second in the trenches. Basically we’re fucked. I’ve wasted a lot of words trying to say that. 

Indeed -keeps it brief 😉 And whilst I am fully onboard with slinging shite where we all know it should go, I have a feeling we may win this one. Cue happy clappers, what are you all worrying about. Funny old game and all that.

Edited by aletheia

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he also had a side that should never have been relegated and he was allowed the budget to keep it together,add dack to mulgrew,graham,conway,raya,nyambe and dare i say it elliot bennett and you had a side that was far to hot for league one,this time it`s not as easy,eustace needs 8/9 new players next season,regardless of what division we are in

Maybe it's his current comments but if we do go down I'd want Eustace nowhere near a League One campaign - I honestly can't understand what it is that has him so highly regarded at St Andrews.

In any case, if we end up in league one it needs a full reset, with Waggott and Broughton gone. We won't be coming back next season without a miracle.

On the game on Saturday, all the noises coming out of the team seem to be trying to offload all of the pressure onto the fans, which considering the run we're on is only going to backfire if they don't turn up again. I get that the fans in general are not in the best of moods at the moment, but that's why it require the likes of Hyam and Szmodics to motivate the team to give the fans a reason to make some noise. That isn't tapping it around the back for half an hour, it's actually going for it in arguably our only winnable game left.

Rovers 1-1 Plymouth