BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

1 hour ago, rigger said:

No one is doubting that fact. The question that was asked is, why would Phillips get booed ?

Pretty pathetic and small minded  if he does.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Philips it was probably hard to turn down going from a few grand a week to about ten plus whatever other incentives a club like Spurs throw into a young player package.

However from a football perspective it was a bit stupid given that here he'd have been maybe a 1st choice starter now or not far off form permitting.  Games under his belt in the Championship = bigger transfer fee, bigger initial wages and more chance of being a Prem starter.

As it is it's Plymouth this year for him then probably Hull or Qpr next season.

Which is why Wharton’s move was a sensible one. A smaller Premier League club, but with a realistic chance of regular game time.

I still think people need to put themselves in the player’s shoes, though, when weighing up a big career decision like that.

They may say otherwise, but the vast majority of people would make the same decision that Phillips did.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Pretty pathetic and small minded  if he does.

Which is why Wharton’s move was a sensible one. A smaller Premier League club, but with a realistic chance of regular game time.

I still think people need to put themselves in the player’s shoes, though, when weighing up a big career decision like that.

They may say otherwise, but the vast majority of people would make the same decision that Phillips did.

Teams like Spuds have been known to throw in cars, penthouses, jobs for family arranged etc when luring young players plus there is London to play around in during their downtime.

It's a heady brew when plonked in front of a young lad from a small town club.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Plymouth sold around 1,500 but our home ticket sales look  no better than Tuesday.

Pretty good effort for such a long journey. In the good old days they'd have come by special train, with windows on the way up but no windows on the way back

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’d rather have The Don than Gally. Agree about the other two.

The Don had the willingness, but not the physique. Gally is the complete opposit, I think it is a toss-up, who I prefer.

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Pretty good effort for such a long journey. In the good old days they'd have come by special train, with windows on the way up but no windows on the way back

Same style coaches.

They are taking good followings everywhere this season as it’s their first season at this level for a good while and with the new owner there is a buzz around their club again, booming home ticket sales etc… imagine that.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, it just crossed my mind how I feel  about today’s game and how I felt setting off for Ewood for the 3rd division promotion game all those years ago. It’s like chalk and cheese, whatever happened to excitement at a football match ? We had a few really good players then and a few not so good but all of them gave 100% for the club. They’d be on peanuts compared with what the current lot are on but they left nothing out on the pitch that afternoon. The starting 11 played the whole game, none of this coming off after 60 minutes because they “ need a break “.

For the old timers still interested - Rovers that day - 

Jones

Heaton, Hawkins, Fazackerley, Burgin

Metcalfe, Oates, Parkes.

Beamish, Hickman, Martin.

Scorers - Beamish, Hickman 2, Martin 2  Att - 17, 818.

How many of them would get in the current team ? I’d say most of them. What I wouldn’t give for Roger Jones in goal today !

Anyway, come on Rovers put a smile on my face on Saturday night for once.

They would all get in!!!:

Jones - goalie supreme

Heaton - tenacious, terrier like and led by example - would give Brittain the shits one on one

Hawkins - Mr dependable, great organiser

Faz - very, very good at level of old Divisions 2 & 3 but not quite there for old Div 1 (now PL)

Burgin - cool and classy

Metcalfe - very good on his day, skillful and tenacious

Oates - great athlete who was strong and got around the pitch and weighed in with goals

Parkes - you only realised how good he was when he wasn't playing!

Beamish - got goals and missed a lot, however, never shirked or hid and got in the right positions to threaten, worth 10 of Gallagher

Hickman - tenacity, workrate personified, a physical threat and weighed in with goals 

Martin - 'the Don', superb classy footballer.  Could have played in Division 1 but for that horrible ankle break and was never quite the same 

That team would get me to Ewood for every home match and many away games.

Sadly, IMO, today's bunch is just  spineless and mainly 'Eusless' who should be made to watch a video of that epic 1975 encounter against Argyle . 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, rigger said:

The Don had the willingness, but not the physique. Gally is the complete opposit, I think it is a toss-up, who I prefer.

One was a footballer, one isn’t. The Don could play centre forward, centre half and in midfield and still look good. No good having the physique if you don’t use it. Little guys like Speedie or Dickov were more of a threat physically than Gally .

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Jones - goalie supreme

Heaton - tenacious, terrier like and led by example - would give Brittain the shits one on one

Faz - very, very good at level of old Divisions 2 & 3 but not quite there for old Div 1 (now PL)

Burgin - cool and classy

Oates - great athlete who was strong and got around the pitch and weighed in with goals

Beamish - got goals and missed a lot, however, never shirked or hid and got in the right positions to threaten, worth 10 of Gallagher

Hickman - tenacity, workrate personified, a physical threat and weighed in with goals 

Martin - 'the Don', superb classy footballer.  Could have played in Division 1 but for that horrible ankle break and was never quite the same 

Sadly, IMO, today's bunch is just  spineless and mainly 'Eusless' who should be made to watch a video of that epic 1975 encounter against Argyle . 

One of the all-time greatest games at Ewood in living memory

Never understood how we managed to keep Sir Roger all those years.

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Jones - goalie supreme

Burgin - cool and classy

There was a reason Beamo's name was derided by his own fans. Hickman would not get in over Sammy. And in my eyes it is a toss-up between Gally and the Don.

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

One of the all-time greatest games at Ewood in living memory

Never understood how we managed to keep Sir Roger all those years.

Best game I’ve ever seen. Truly amazing 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

There was a reason Beamo's name was derided by his own fans. Hickman would not get in over Sammy. And in my eyes it is a toss-up between Gally and the Don.

As in, heads Gallagher is useless, tails he's overpaid and useless?

Come on

30 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Jones - goalie supreme

Burgin - cool and classy

He did with Northampton

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

As in, heads Gallagher is useless, tails he's overpaid and useless?

Come on

I've always thought Gallagher is scared to score. It's only when things are in his favour, eg Wrexham, that he looks like a striker. He's an absolute Nelly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

We all have different views!  

Yep 'Beamo' missed a lot but he never went 'missing in action', continuing to get in the right areas.

Hickman wasn't a great footballer, we know that, but my goodness, he had the heart of a lion, an aggression, a physicality and a presence that the opposition didn't like - a Travis on steroids!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Gally is a pussycat in comparison and as a minimum needs to put himself about a lot more.

As for comparing Gally to the Don - you have to be joking.  Don Martin was one of the classiest footballers Rovers had in that era.  Looked equally at home as a c/h, c/f or midfielder.  Convinced he would have played in Div 1 but for that horrible ankle break which took its toll. 

• Like 1