BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Oooh, is he playing?

At least I'll enjoy booing that rat tomorrow.

Why? He did what anyone with any sense of pride and ambition would do and got the fuck away from this club at the first opportunity. 

27 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I do expect us to win tomorrow, lose all of the games to the current top 4 and also Coventry.

The rest, I have no idea but as always the Championship will suprise.

Trying to predict any result in the championship is very difficult. It's so unpredictable.

• Like 1

Rovers have gone their ticket pricing all wrong for this game and did for the Millwall game. Rovers should have offered this game for £15 maximum. Get Ewood Park full. Same for the Ipswich game, but £25 for the walk on fan is just wrong. 

Of Course Eustace's comments are about taking the pressure off the players, but I think it is also been done to calm down the fan based. In the context he has put his comment he is technically correct but we all know that Rovers need to win this game. 

• Like 5

Once again John Eustace says the Plymouth game is not a must win game in the Lancs Telegraph, when is it going to be a must win game when we're relegated to league 1. It's time this spineless excuse for Blackburn Rovers players rolled up their sleeves and said enough enough let's win a game at home.

19 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Once again John Eustace says the Plymouth game is not a must win game in the Lancs Telegraph, when is it going to be a must win game when we're relegated to league 1. It's time this spineless excuse for Blackburn Rovers players rolled up their sleeves and said enough enough let's win a game at home.

I think it's this attitude that isn't doing him any favours at all.

We've gone from the JDT 'we'll try and beat anyone in the division' approach to 'we'll be happy to take a point at home to Millwall and Plymouth'.

It's fine being cautious, but we've had enough winnable games over the last couple of months to put us well clear of a relegation scrap.

You cannot underestimate mindset and attitude in professional sport.
Tell players that a point at home to Millwall or Plymouth is a good result enough and they'll believe it.

• Like 8

I truly believe the players are trying their best. I also believe we’re not playing a full roster of Championship level players. Some are youngsters who will get better with time & experience, others will filter down to Leagues 1 & 2. If we stay up, it will be skill & hard work…and a fair amount of luck. 

With that said, I hope we see a big, loud, crowd. we should expect a win tomorrow. 
COYB!!! 

• Like 2

We are exposed to the "youngster"* theory due to our recruitment process and this season taking 3 loanees aged 20 who if they do develop will be of no benefit to us and meanwhile we expect them to give their all to our cause and learn on the job on our pitch.

Well, good luck with that one.

We've just seen one of those loanees cost us 3 points at Swansea but fortunately JE noticed it too.

Meanwhile and looking forward we must win this must win game today. Any other outcome and the writing on the wall is in capital letters.

* Last night Leeds started a 17 year old, Gray, and a 20 year old, Gnonto. If your good enough you're old enough but we choose to experiment with other teams kids. F-ing madness.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

I can only assume the "not a must win" comment was his weird attempt to deflect some pressure from his players, the poor little lambs. If not, he's obviously a bit simple.

Ironically what he's done is potentially made things worse, go 1 down here and the fans will turn. Obviously it won't be a cauldron of hate, its Ewood, but he will have added to it.

Plymouths form maybe look bad on paper but look at the teams they've faced. They've picked up decent away wins this season and I fully expect another today. 

• Like 1

Nobody but nobody will argue with these propositions

- we are facing Plymouth without key outfield players and with an extremely dodgy keeper

- if we lose this one, our survival prospects will take one hell of a blow

So I am hugely relieved Eustace is prioritising protecting the keeper and not losing 

10 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Why? He did what anyone with any sense of pride and ambition would do and got the fuck away from this club at the first opportunity. 

I thought Phillips refused to sign a contract with the Rovers, because he knew if he was a free agent he would personally make more money. Which is the opposit of what Adam Wharton did. That is why Phillips will get stick and Wharton won't. Nobody would doubt the merits of leaving the Rovers, it is just the way it was done. If I am talking utter bollocks I apologise for my lack of the true facts.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, M_B said:

We've come back from a goal down in 3 of the last 4 matches, it's the one thing giving me a bit more confidence we can stay up. 

or perhaps try and go a goal up

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I thought Phillips refused to sign a contract with the Rovers, because he knew if he was a free agent he would personally make more money. Which is the opposit of what Adam Wharton did. That is why Phillips will get stick and Wharton won't. Nobody would doubt the merits of leaving the Rovers, it is just the way it was done. If I am talking utter bollocks I apologise for my lack of the true facts.

Phillips was given the opportunity to join one of the bigger clubs in the Premier League.

We are a shambles.

It's not really a difficult choice.

• Like 2

We've had some important moments against Plymouth. A promotion battle in the 3rd division, Kenny's first match, Speedie's hat trick to make the playoffs,  Nicky Marker taking out Ardiles.

Today could be very important one way or the other 

57 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Phillips was given the opportunity to join one of the bigger clubs in the Premier League.

We are a shambles.

It's not really a difficult choice.

No one is doubting that fact. The question that was asked is, why would Phillips get booed ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Philips it was probably hard to turn down going from a few grand a week to about ten plus whatever other incentives a club like Spurs throw into a young player package.

However from a football perspective it was a bit stupid given that here he'd have been maybe a 1st choice starter now or not far off form permitting.  Games under his belt in the Championship = bigger transfer fee, bigger initial wages and more chance of being a Prem starter.

As it is it's Plymouth this year for him then probably Hull or Qpr next season.

49 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

We've had some important moments against Plymouth. A promotion battle in the 3rd division, Kenny's first match, Speedie's hat trick to make the playoffs,  Nicky Marker taking out Ardiles.

Today could be very important one way or the other 

Yeah, it just crossed my mind how I feel  about today’s game and how I felt setting off for Ewood for the 3rd division promotion game all those years ago. It’s like chalk and cheese, whatever happened to excitement at a football match ? We had a few really good players then and a few not so good but all of them gave 100% for the club. They’d be on peanuts compared with what the current lot are on but they left nothing out on the pitch that afternoon. The starting 11 played the whole game, none of this coming off after 60 minutes because they “ need a break “.

For the old timers still interested - Rovers that day - 

Jones

Heaton, Hawkins, Fazackerley, Burgin

Metcalfe, Oates, Parkes.

Beamish, Hickman, Martin.

Scorers - Beamish, Hickman 2, Martin 2  Att - 17, 818.

How many of them would get in the current team ? I’d say most of them. What I wouldn’t give for Roger Jones in goal today !

Anyway, come on Rovers put a smile on my face on Saturday night for once.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, it just crossed my mind how I feel  about today’s game and how I felt setting off for Ewood for the 3rd division promotion game all those years ago. It’s like chalk and cheese, whatever happened to excitement at a football match ? We had a few really good players then and a few not so good but all of them gave 100% for the club. They’d be on peanuts compared with what the current lot are on but they left nothing out on the pitch that afternoon. The starting 11 played the whole game, none of this coming off after 60 minutes because they “ need a break “.

For the old timers still interested - Rovers that day - 

Jones

Heaton, Hawkins, Fazackerley, Burgin

Metcalfe, Oates, Parkes.

Beamish, Hickman, Martin.

Scorers - Beamish, Hickman 2, Martin 2  Att - 17, 818.

How many of them would get in the current team ? I’d say most of them. What I wouldn’t give for Roger Jones in goal today !

Anyway, come on Rovers put a smile on my face on Saturday night for once.

Not the three scorers.

Phillips is playing regularly for a side above us in the table and is getting paid a hell of a lot more for doing it than he was for sitting on our bench last season.

Sounds like a good move to me. That's before you factor in that at Spurs and Plymouth he's playing for real clubs that actually want to be successful and have an element of professionalism about them.

• Like 1