BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

Suspect more of the same first half and hope to nick a goal followed by more attacking as game progresses.

Maybe start with (yep I know, Gally but can see how it goes).

Leo
              Hyam     McFadz     Wharton  
Brittain     Buckley   Ayari    Garrett    Pickering
               Gallagher   Szmodics  

Then swop Gally for Siggy?

Leo
              Hyam     McFadz     Wharton  
Brittain     Buckley   Ayari    Garrett    Pickering
               Sigurdsson    Szmodics  

Who knows?

With Leo in goal,I really think Eustace has No CHOICE but to play 3 at the back. Its not his fault that a few of our more injury-prone players aka JRC & Carter are the better ones.

Think the criticism of the (uninspiring)new manager is a bit overdone. At least not playing the JDT "2 at the back suicidal football" gives us a chance of dredging something from the match.

Dredge it will be. Remember we are not a very good team.

• Like 3

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

With Leo in goal,I really think Eustace has No CHOICE but to play 3 at the back. Its not his fault that a few of our more injury-prone players aka JRC & Carter are the better ones.

Think the criticism of the (uninspiring)new manager is a bit overdone. At least not playing the JDT "2 at the back suicidal football" gives us a chance of dredging something from the match.

Eustace has played a back five in every game apart from the second half at Swansea. Pears was in goal for them all save for last night. In pretty much every game we have been outnumbered in midfield which in my view has gone a long way to not winning. My real doubt about Eustace is his lack of flexibility in his tactics (Newcastle apart) when our play has been predictable.

• Like 4

I've had a think about it, with the injuries we've got there's not an obvious answer here. Working on the assumption that Pears, tronstad and Hedges all remain unavailable and brittain will be fit.

I'd go 4-4-1-1. 

Walhsted 

Brittain.   Hyam.    Wharton.  Pickering

Siggurdson. Ayari.  Buckley.  Gilsenan

Szmodics 

Gally

Even as I type it I shake my head. Obviously it looks very weak in midfield but the other options particularly out wide would be moran, markanday or dolan, of those perhaps dolan simply for work rate but like many other he's not exactly deserving of a start. I'd play gilsenan as a wild card option, there's no such thing as a perfect time to chuck someone in but he might step up and not quite feel the pressure of the more established players. 

Cm has to be ayari and Buckley simply because moran and garrett aren't up to it there.

Let’s try and keep a clean sheet at home at all costs. Then find sammy in space so he can do what he does best score. This really is last chance saloon to build some results Middlesbrough and Wednesday only winnable games on paper left. 

RTID 

7 hours ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Phil we must win. We’re not winning any of our matches til at least Sheff Weds at home after Saturday and by then we could well be cut a little adrift.

Sheff Weds have won 4 on the bounce, they'll be backed by an impressive vocal following. I'd be amazed if we get anything off them unless something changes drastically 😕

We were lucky last night, our only real chance came when their defence played Siggurdson in. It's definitely going to be a back 5, maybe Ayari might be able to unlock the Plymouth back 11. 

It's going to be another war of attrition,although we at least don't look as vulnerable from set pieces. It won't be pretty. 

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024
5 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

With Leo in goal I'd play a back nine.

• Like 3

If we fail to win yet another home game against a side around us, we really have to consider if Eustace is the right man for the job.
'Just failing to lose' will not keep us up, we need to actually try to win some matches before we start playing the better sides in the division, in the run-in.

39 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Pears was only ill wasn't he? Surely he will play.

Honestly no idea why a keeper can't play anyway if feeling a bit unwell.

An earlier post indicated he has concussion although that didn't seem to occur in the Swansea match. I'm finding Eustace economical with the truth when it comes to injuries. Always plays them down and then later lands a bombshell. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

We cannot cannot cannot go into this game and just do the same. Let's try and show something different. With Leo in goal we have to remain three at the back, anything else is suicidal. But at least we can try and do something to better link up defence and midfield. Team for me : 

Leo

Hyam     McFadz     Wharton 

Brittain   Tronstad  Buckley   Ayeri    Pickering

Sigurdsson    Szmodics 

Try and get the ball through midfield and pick passes. Hopefully dropping Gallagher will help our link up play. Get the wide players further up the pitch. At least having the option to bring on Dolan and Gallagher late in the game will give us more legs when the opposition is tiring.

If we start Gallagher, Szmodics and Dolan all again as a three I give up.

Does anyone know if Tronstad will be fit and when JRC and Carter are back?

I’d go with that but Dolan up top instead of siggy

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Pears was only ill wasn't he? Surely he will play.

Honestly no idea why a keeper can't play anyway if feeling a bit unwell.

telalovic was also ill last week,i hope gallagher catches it for saturday,he`s more use sat at home with a box of tissues

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

With Leo in goal I'd play a back nine.

You could play 2 Leos in one goal and we'd still concede iv'e never seen such an odd keeper diving for the ball, flaps well fair enough many young keepers in this era have that problem but backflips are a new thing.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

This game has no importance.

Tuesday the wankers are in court.

Hopefully they get told to fuck off in Indian legal terms. Bringing administration closer.

Nothing matters until they are banished forever.

It'll never happen they'll just arrange some high interest loan against the remaining Wharton instalments then sell what they can in summer.

They've winged it ever since they walked through the door that's why we are in the mess we are and it'll never change.

• Like 3

Surprised people still putting John (slow motion) Buckley in the team.. apart from his come back game he's not been good enough.

Garrett and Ayari in CM for me if we are going with two.

My team would be 

Leo

Hyam Mcfadzen Wharton

Brittain                         Chrisene

Garett Ayari 

Siggy   Smodzic Gilsenan

Telalovic 

Options to bring on.. Gally and Dolan

You’re dropping Buckley, who was possibly our best player on Tuesday night, yet you’re prepared to play Telalovic who two managers obviously don’t rate in the slightest.

I’d be amazed if Brittain is available after coming off with a long standing groin issue.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

You could play 2 Leos in one goal and we'd still concede iv'e never seen such an odd keeper diving for the ball, flaps well fair enough many young keepers in this era have that problem but backflips are a new thing.

That was really bad the other night, it looked like he was trying to get out of the way of the ball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

Eustace has played a back five in every game apart from the second half at Swansea. Pears was in goal for them all save for last night. In pretty much every game we have been outnumbered in midfield which in my view has gone a long way to not winning. My real doubt about Eustace is his lack of flexibility in his tactics (Newcastle apart) when our play has been predictable.

I agree about us being out numbered in midfield all the time. 

• Like 1