BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 16/3/24

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Some predictions of an absolute drubbing here. Keep in mind that since the managerial change, we haven't lost by more than a goal, and that's only happened twice in eight games.

If we do get turned over like that it will be a sign of further regression and I'd imagine a hammer blow to the team's confidence. But form doesn't suggest it. The one saving grace of Eustace's start to life here is we've proven fairly hard to beat for whatever reasons.

Don't be daft. We haven't played anyone, failed to beat anybody and got battered at home to Plymouth Argyle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Don't be daft. We haven't played anyone, failed to beat anybody and got battered at home to Plymouth Argyle.

We got battered 1-1? Don't be daft yourself.

Failing to beat anyone doesn't mean you're odds on to get beaten by more goals than you've been beaten by so far, when only 2 out of 8 teams have beaten you at all lately (9 if we include Stoke) and a strong Prem team couldn't beat us over 120 minutes. As for haven't played anyone, Newcastle aside, Norwich are 5 points clear of Boro and Cardiff and Preston are tied with them on points. So by that logic, Boro aren't anyone either. We also drew with all 3 of those.

I'm not saying we definitely won't get pasted, absolutely that may happen, but there's nothing daft about pointing out the concrete fact it would be against recent form if it happened. Form suggests a draw or a slim defeat.

• Like 4

so what are our cm options for this game? Garrett, ayari and moran? 
Wonder what Scott Wharton or Pickering might be like in cm as a 1 off? Maybe put one of them in there to win headers and win the ball back, and maybe move Oriordan to cb with Hyam, playing 4 at the back.  A bit square pegs in round holes, but not sure Garrett, moran and ayari are that much better, esepcially away from home against a tough boro side. id like some steal in there away from home.

britain oriordan Hyam Christene
dolan  garret pickeringORWharton Sigs
               Smods
                Gallagher

Looks a bit of a mess I know, but just not sure Moran and ayari away from home at a team like boro will do us much good. Feel like we need some defensive minded brains in the centre of the pitch. 

probably get slaughtered for mentioning it, but i think sometimes when your that short and current options arent great, thinking out the box as a one off might just get you out of jail, especially as the only fit options dont look likely of getting a team over the line. 

I would say how we play is really more dependent on how Middlesborogh setup. I haven't really seen much of them... If they like to be direct, cross from deep etc then sticking with three at the back makes sense. but if they are like Plymouth and are quick, get down the sides of you etc then a switch to four would be better : 

Irrespective of what we do we at the back should have three in midfield. We need more bodies there. I guess picking a team out of the air I would go, but not really got much conviction about anything to be honest at the moment : 

Pears

O Riordan    Hyam   Wharton  

Brittain    Ayeri    Buckley   Pickering Hedges

Dolan      Szmodics

Pears

Brittain      Hyam     Wharton        Pickering

Buckley   Ayeri

Dolan                   Szmodics           Sigurdsson

Gallagher

Probably best at our disposal 

2 hours ago, GaryC said:

Pears

Brittain      Hyam     Wharton        Pickering

Buckley   Ayeri

Dolan                   Szmodics           Sigurdsson

Gallagher

Probably best at our disposal 

Yep looks about right. we are so limited. So frustrating!

18 hours ago, ruggles1995 said:

so what are our cm options for this game? Garrett, ayari and moran? 
Wonder what Scott Wharton or Pickering might be like in cm as a 1 off? Maybe put one of them in there to win headers and win the ball back, and maybe move Oriordan to cb with Hyam, playing 4 at the back.  A bit square pegs in round holes, but not sure Garrett, moran and ayari are that much better, esepcially away from home against a tough boro side. id like some steal in there away from home.

britain oriordan Hyam Christene
dolan  garret pickeringORWharton Sigs
               Smods
                Gallagher

Looks a bit of a mess I know, but just not sure Moran and ayari away from home at a team like boro will do us much good. Feel like we need some defensive minded brains in the centre of the pitch. 

probably get slaughtered for mentioning it, but i think sometimes when your that short and current options arent great, thinking out the box as a one off might just get you out of jail, especially as the only fit options dont look likely of getting a team over the line. 

Have you forgotten about Buckley, or has he picked up an injury? That's a lot of talking about CM options without mentioning probably our best (fit) one.

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Have you forgotten about Buckley, or has he picked up an injury? That's a lot of talking about CM options without mentioning probably our best (fit) one.

Ayari is in a different league to Bucko.....levels

So is Tronstad (is he fit though)

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 13:38, bluebruce said:

Some predictions of an absolute drubbing here. Keep in mind that since the managerial change, we haven't lost by more than a goal, and that's only happened twice in eight games.

If we do get turned over like that it will be a sign of further regression and I'd imagine a hammer blow to the team's confidence. But form doesn't suggest it. The one saving grace of Eustace's start to life here is we've proven fairly hard to beat for whatever reasons.

Whilst I agree the factor for the above highlighted is that we have been having relatively poor teams. Cardiff was shocking for example and Bham couldn't put their many chances away because they were poor. But we still concede

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ayari is in a different league to Bucko.....levels

So is Tronstad (is he fit though)

Lol Ayari has had a couple of good games. And some poor ones. He still has a lot to prove. Prefer him if you like, I did say arguably, but levels above him sounds a bit silly for now. Buckley has mostly looked good since he returned. Tronstad isn't fit so I wasn't including him.

I think we actually may get a result tomorrow. Boro have not been great at home this year and we generally do OK at the Riverside. We had a rest in midweek whereas they had a game so I think we may nick a draw. 

Probably a drab 1-1.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, islander200 said:

Pears back tomorrow.

JRC , Tronstad and Carter back after the international break according to telegraph 

That's good news, I just hope we're careful with them - JRC especially. Problem is we're desperate for points and need our strongest team out there where possible. 

• Like 2

Have the players stopped believing in possibilities?

Has a terminal gloom settled on the squad?

Has the manager (head coach bah) got anything in the locker?

I think we are about to find out, folks.

Kansas may be about to go bye bye..

I think when the manager is telling them that a point at home to Millwall and/or Plymouth Fucking Argyle is a good result, they will naturally start to believe it.

Mentality and momentum are massive in competitive sport.

Coach the players to be winners, if you want them to win.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 2

It would be a good draw tomorrow for sure. I'm reading lots about no wins, but another draw and just 2 defeats in 9 since Tomasson left would be a good foundation on which to take on the back end of the season.