BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 16/3/24

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

These sort of mid-table teams should be exactly who you want to play when desperate for a win.

Problem is we're not desperate to win unfortunately.

• Like 4

From what I remember Rovers have a good record generally against the north-east teams, particularly away from home (no doubt some statto will correct me) so hopefully this will be the case against Boro. Another point wouldn't be bad and probably the best we can hope for until the likes of Tronstad and Rankin-Costello come back.

Eustace will also have had a full week to work with the players so he has no excuses this time on getting his ideas across and putting his playing philosophy into practice. 

I'm on a good run with predictions having got 4 in a row spot on so I'll go for a 1-1 draw

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aletheia said:

Somewhat offbeam but does anybody know if a music track is played at Ewood, do we have to pay royalties?

If you play any mainstream music which can be heard by the public then you need a PRS licence. Costs depend on venue size, what it's used for etc but all venues should have one by law - believe it or not, even your local chippy that might just have the radio on in the background. Royalties aren't paid on a 'song by song' basis, but percentages are worked out by them having people visiting various different places and making a note of what's being played.

https://www.prsformusic.com/licences

I won't clog up this thread with much more info on this, but I will add that if you've ever been in a shop (Matalan is an example of where I've heard this done) & heard a familiar song that's 'not quite right', this will be where unknown artists cover tracks, are paid a one off fee for it and it's then available to play to the public without the need for a licence.

• Like 2

I think at least a 3-0 bashing is on the cards. Whilst Carrick's side has been inconsistent this season, they have had some key players out, who are now back available and starting to make the team gel once again. Where Boro have strength in depth, coherence and a plan, we seem to have holes in the squad, a chaotic and ineffective approach, and no plan whatsoever other than to hoof and hope.

Consequently it is difficult to see anything other than a further dent in our confidence, a crushing blow to those hardy enough to make the trek up to Teesside, and a further deepening of our goals against crisis. 

As ever, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, but there's no recent evidence that these players have the balls to deliver anything else.

Bollix.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

From what I remember Rovers have a good record generally against the north-east teams, particularly away from home (no doubt some statto will correct me) so hopefully this will be the case against Boro. Another point wouldn't be bad and probably the best we can hope for until the likes of Tronstad and Rankin-Costello come back.

Eustace will also have had a full week to work with the players so he has no excuses this time on getting his ideas across and putting his playing philosophy into practice. 

I'm on a good run with predictions having got 4 in a row spot on so I'll go for a 1-1 draw

we will probably draw every game from now until the end of the season apart from the last game which will ultimately send us down because we have no desire, fight or drive to win

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G Somerset Rover said:

At the very best a 1-1 but head says 3 or 4-1 to Boro. As a poster above implies, I’m not sure how much the players actually want it (as for the wider club…).

Id take a 1-1 

Look where Cardiff are since we played them. Just a couple of wins and you can suddenly be up there away from the drop zone. 

Another win for Boro tonight puts them 5 points off the play off places. They aren't going to be a soft touch on Saturday, very difficult game for us.

Boro have won this evening at Big Club, which continues their renaissance after the return of some key players. Given that football is a confidence game where momentum is vital, their positive movement upwards meeting our virtual stasis going nowhere would seem to suggest there will only be one likely outcome. This is where we see what is in the locker from the new management team, and from the players. If there isn't a significant change in both formation and attitude, we will definitely start to have the stink of a sinking ship. 

Watch out you don't get bitten, rat fans...

Here's our glorious new leader, hamming it up on the One Show a few years back..

• Like 1

Worst possible result for Rovers tonight.  Boro on a bit of a roll and in striking distance of play-offs.  Always a team that comes from nowhere.  Confidence and momentum everything in this league - we are polar opposites and spiralling downwards.

Boro by 3 or 4 goals to 1.

Edited by Mercer

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Worst possible result for Rovers tonight.  Boro on a bit of a roll and in striking distance of play-offs.  Always a team that comes from nowhere.  Confidence and momentum everything in this league - we are polar opposites and spiralling downwards.

It keeps Big Club below us. We were never going to be catching Boro.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I know what you mean but, purely in terms of the table, it was the best possible result

I agree that it’s hard to see us getting anything on Saturday, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Has there ever been a game where you have predicted anything other than a convincing win either way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It keeps Big Club below us. We were never going to be catching Boro.

Does keep Brum below us but after Rotherham it's still 2 from 7 - a win for Brum tonight would have made Boro easier opponents on Saturday but tonight's win for Boro gives them a realistic play-off chance and they will therefore be all fired-up against us; it was never about catching Boro.

• Like 2

A direct rival below us in the league lost. That is better than them winning being supposedly offset by Boro being any less or more difficult at the weekend.

The one thing that is in our favour and makes relegation still far from a foregone conclusion is the number of teams around us. From a mini league of 7, we only have to not be one of the 2 worst and that doesnt factor in a 3 point buffer over 2 of those teams (one with considerably worse goal difference) and a 2 point buffer over a further 2, and assumes that both Millwall and Swansea arent in it who themselves are only 2 points ahead of us.

Not that I have any confidence of us not being one of the 2 worst teams. It will be interesting to see how many points are needed. 

• Like 2

Great to see Brum kept deep in trouble and Venus sounding clueless but 3 wins have taken Boro from the edge of the relegation race to the edge of the play off race.

And Brum was a walk in the park.

So that screws my assessment of three games on the trot against fellow strugglers...

Hey hoe still have to go to the Riverside (Tees not Darwen) with a winning game plan. Over to you JE...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Great to see Brum kept deep in trouble and Venus sounding clueless but 3 wins have taken Boro from the edge of the relegation race to the edge of the play off race.

And Brum was a walk in the park.

So that screws my assessment of three games on the trot against fellow strugglers...

Hey hoe still have to go to the Riverside (Tees not Darwen) with a winning game plan. Over to you JE...

It will be an almost a miracle* if we get even a single point at Boro, but it's a benefit to us that Boro beat Brum.

*We do have Sammie, miracles are possible ....

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Think it was a great result that Boro beat Brum.

We can only influence games that we play in so it's up to us to perform and bring something home on Saturday.

If any results involving other teams fall our way it has to be considered a massive bonus.

Can't deny either  the thought of Mowbray and Venus taking Brum down is also immensely satisfying although of course there will be no-one who wouldn't wish Mowbray a speedy recovery from whatever medical issues he is facing.

• Like 2

Or perhaps the worst outcome of the lot....that Mowbray returns to manage Birmingham just in enough time to pluck a couple of wins out and leapfrog us, consigning us to relegation whilst keeping them up. 

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Or perhaps the worst outcome of the lot....that Mowbray returns to manage Birmingham just in enough time to pluck a couple of wins out and leapfrog us, consigning us to relegation whilst keeping them up. 

Ever thought of a job with the samaritans ?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It's written in the stars.

Obviously i wish Mowbray well but the longer Venus is in charge there the better so hopefully Tony puts his feet up until summer.