BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (h) - Good Friday, 29/3/24, 17:30

15 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I have a soft spot for Town having lived there for 5 years but I don’t think you will make it, you looked a very poor side yesterday. Aside from Pears chucking one in, you created next to nothing and were wasting time from that moment onwards. We deserved more but once again got nothing from the officials.

The positive for Town is that when you find yourself still in the Championship next season, you have everything now in place to move on and progress. 

Interesting take on Ipswich, I thought they looked a good side, especially travelling with the ball, they pinged it around really well and always looked dangerous.

Edited by Gav

Fans at Ewood park want to get behind the players and the head coach during the game. The chants against Venkys and Waggott are spontaneous. Getting the game stopped or abandoned only affect the fans, the players and the club in the long term like a fine or points deduction meaning affect our league position. 

Yes I want new owners with new board of directions 

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

He was tho, he jumped over the ball , he had an impact on the defender and keeper so was offside. I wish it wasn’t but that’s the cold hard facts 

Rubbish. Not one Ipswich player appealed for it and he wasn't in the line of sight of the keeper. It was appalling decision by appalling ref. PL quality 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn’t see tonight’s game. What worries me is we’re try to play a Big Sam type game with JDT type players. The problem is we have no alternative at the moment.

We aren't trying play a Big Sam type game at all. What has led you to this opinion please? 

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Just like no-one has mentioned their RW taking out Pickering for a blatant penalty in the second half (just before he was substituted for Carter). 

exactly. 

The referee performance was appalling and it is the worst I have seen at Ewood Park in years. Will anything happen to Atwell for his poor performance? It won't. The PGMOL, the EFL and the Howard Webb will just ignore the fact that refereeing standards in English football are going backwards and declining. People will say its time for VAR at this level but that system doesn't mean the right decision will be made. 

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They're not a 'patch' on the previous lot because they're simply not allowed to spend any money.

We're £23m in the black in transfers this season and have cut our wage bill by 20%. We cut it the previous season too. 

It's a L1 budget now. 

I agree to a degree, but that wasn't the point. 

Edited by M_B

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rubbish. Not one Ipswich player appealed for it and he wasn't in the line of sight of the keeper. It was appalling decision by appalling ref. PL quality 

Cardiff scored a very similar goal at Ewood this season which was disallowed for the same reason.

I presume that was the correct decision, but this one wasn't?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Cardiff scored a very similar goal at Ewood this season which was disallowed for the same reason.

I presume that was the correct decision, but this one wasn't?

If memory serves me correct the Cardiff player was right in front of Wahlstedt. 

Szmodics wasn't directly in front of their keeper

• Like 3

Ipswich looked like a team used to winning and instinctively passed between themselves whereas our passing was all stop and look for someone.

We got lucky with the nailed on penalty Ipswich weren't given and they got lucky cumulatively with the three times we got it into their net when the officials could have missed their marginal decisions against us and the Moran volley was an extremely marginal call. That was keeper collision with Wharton without the keeper having control of the ball.

But it came down to Pears howler being a goal and their keeper's howler wasn't because he got lucky with where his left arm was when Szmodics struck for goal. In the replay it is obvious his left arm goes out without looking and unlike against Newcastle Szmodics gave it elevation.

If he had chipped it against Newcastle we go through, a flatter trajectory yesterday we equalise.

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

Ipswich looked like a team used to winning and instinctively passed between themselves whereas our passing was all stop and look for someone.

We got lucky with the nailed on penalty Ipswich weren't given and they got lucky cumulatively with the three times we got it into their net when the officials could have missed their marginal decisions against us and the Moran volley was an extremely marginal call. That was keeper collision with Wharton without the keeper having control of the ball.

But it came down to Pears howler being a goal and their keeper's howler wasn't because he got lucky with where his left arm was when Szmodics struck for goal. In the replay it is obvious his left arm goes out without looking and unlike against Newcastle Szmodics gave it elevation.

If he had chipped it against Newcastle we go through, a flatter trajectory yesterday we equalise.

Those are the type of wins that get you promoted.

I only saw the second half, but we were definitely a bit unlucky not to take a point from that game, but them's the breaks when you're down the bottom.

Re - the save from Szmodicz, yes the keeper got a bit lucky, but you make your own luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If memory serves me correct the Cardiff player was right in front of Wahlstedt. 

Szmodics wasn't directly in front of their keeper

Could have had 2 keepers in net with nobody stood in front of them, they wouldn't have got to that header.

Szmodics was stood where the ball went, of course it impacts the keeper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Could have had 2 keepers in net with nobody stood in front of them, they wouldn't have got to that header.

Szmodics was stood where the ball went, of course it impacts the keeper.

Szmodics wasn't in front of the keeper so that's didn't impact their keeper who wasn't getting to it in my opinion. My opinion is backed up by many people on here aswell as Sky Sports studio pundits Troy Deeney and Nigel Pearson

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Szmodics wasn't in front of the keeper so that's didn't impact their keeper who wasn't getting to it in my opinion. My opinion is backed up by many people on here aswell as Sky Sports studio pundits Troy Deeney and Nigel Pearson

Of course it’s backed up on here, it’s a fans site lol. Fact is that he doesn’t have to be right in front of the keeper, it’s about being in his peripheral vision. Sammy jumps over the bloody ball, of course he’s interfering.

You’d be crying if that goal was given against us. Same with the Wharton foul. It’s a clear foul on the keeper. No doubt about it at all. 

They should have had a pen when the absolutely hapless Callum Brittain decided to just pull Broadbent back. You would have been sobbing into your blue and white tinted glasses if that had been at the other end!!!

The only one that I struggled to understand was the foul on Pickering after the ball had been played. He seemed to be taken out but nobody seemed to say much about it. The ball had gone but I’ve seen those given.

Pleased i took the 16/1 on relegation now. It’s nailed on after this new clown at the helm has proven that he can’t get a note out of the depleted squad either. It’s on Venkys, we’ve sold and sold and sold but not been able to bring in any real quality in the areas needed. We spunked all of our budget on an even worse keeper than Pears!!! Fuck knows how we managed to do that!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Absolutely Den. My point was about silver tongue Broughton insulting our intelligence with his 'met our valuation' crap. He was always going to go at some point but the owners nefarious business dealings meant we sold him at the first opportunity. And it could be argued that selling our most creative player was a huge nail in the relegation coffin.

Do remember when we sold  Ken Knighton ?  Selling Wharton was a similar moment. That was when we threw in our hand.

• Like 1

• Backroom

The shot was heading towards Sammie; who was in an offside position until it took a deflection.

Whilst it wouldn’t have made much difference the keeper and defender have to be aware of his potential involvement therefore he’s in the line of sight and potentially interfering with play.

You can call it harsh, but it’s correct

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Those are the type of wins that get you promoted.

I only saw the second half, but we were definitely a bit unlucky not to take a point from that game, but them's the breaks when you're down the bottom.

Re - the save from Szmodicz, yes the keeper got a bit lucky, but you make your own luck.

I thought Ipswich were very poor yesterday , if they hadn't been played us or Rotherham , they probably would have lost..

The lack of talent in our squad is quite frightening and only  very few of our players , stand up to be counted !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I thought Ipswich were very poor yesterday , if they hadn't been played us or Rotherham , they probably would have lost..

The lack of talent in our squad is quite frightening and only  very few of our players , stand up to be counted !

That is exactly what I meant by "those are the type of wins that get you promoted".

They have followed up a 6 - 0 home thrashing with an ugly 1 - 0 away win.

They are top of the league for a reason.

We are where we are for a reason, (and I agree re - the squad).

What’s happened to Callum Britain? Looked a reasonable footballer once. I now crap myself whenever the balls coming to him. The number of times he received the ball and instead of progressing into the space in front of him it’s a ponderous two touches, turn and knock it sideways back to where it came from. Zero risk football. No bottle. The sort of player that gets you relegated. We have a few of them. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Andy said:

Gilsenan must be sat there watching Chrisene playing LW, trying to make sense of the world.

Hopefully that's the last time we see Chrisene anywhere other than LB. He as shocking and it wasn't even like he was offering much protection to Pickering who was constantly getting ran at.

• Like 3

One positive from yesterday. At least JRC was back and looked a goal threat from midfield. Hopefully we can keep him fit cos I think he has more bottle and bite about him than a lot of these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The shot was heading towards Sammie; who was in an offside position until it took a deflection.

Whilst it wouldn’t have made much difference the keeper and defender have to be aware of his potential involvement therefore he’s in the line of sight and potentially interfering with play.

You can call it harsh, but it’s correct

It was totally the correct decision. I'm making an educated guess that the linesman informed the referee that Szmodics was offside but from his side on view couldn't tell if he was in the keepers eye line. It was up to the referee then to judge whether this was the case. It was one of the few decisions Atwell got right because in my view he was poor for both teams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toogs said:

What’s happened to Callum Britain? Looked a reasonable footballer once. I now crap myself whenever the balls coming to him. The number of times he received the ball and instead of progressing into the space in front of him it’s a ponderous two touches, turn and knock it sideways back to where it came from. Zero risk football. No bottle. The sort of player that gets you relegated. We have a few of them. 

The guy is a fucking coward. 

Mentally and physically weak.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was totally the correct decision. I'm making an educated guess that the linesman informed the referee that Szmodics was offside but from his side on view couldn't tell if he was in the keepers eye line. It was up to the referee then to judge whether this was the case. It was one of the few decisions Atwell got right because in my view he was poor for both teams.

In the keepers eyeline? This is as JRC hits it and Szmodics has never crossed the keepers view of the ball at all, even in the build up. I've seen far worse examples of goals allowed after these kind of incidents even after being reviewed  by VAR. I'm not sure. 

IMG20240329220928.thumb.jpg.7ce5365b43a7e09b5d1900c7b0be303b.jpg

13:55 onwards on this video. 

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Hopefully that's the last time we see Chrisene anywhere other than LB. He as shocking and it wasn't even like he was offering much protection to Pickering who was constantly getting ran at.

Maybe it's me being old fashioned but I was irritated by the supporters in the JW Stand who were sat near the players fist bumping Chrisene as he made his way back to his seat after being substituted.

If he'd scored a goal or we were 3 up maybe. But at 1-0 down? Are they that desperate to catch the attention of someone who isn't even our player? I'd have been looking steadfastly the other way.

Bah Humbug!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

In the keepers eyeline? This is as JRC hits it and Szmodics has never crossed the keepers view of the ball at all, even in the build up. I've seen far worse examples of goals allowed after these kind of incidents even after being reviewed  by VAR.

IMG20240329220928.thumb.jpg.7ce5365b43a7e09b5d1900c7b0be303b.jpg

That is from an angle which skews Szmodics' position. The actual replays rather than a still show him a lot closer to the keeper and in his eye line. I too have seen goals allowed for similar but felt they should have been disallowed too. Cardiff had a goal disallowed at Ewood this season for something very similar and as I recall it was pretty much unanimously supported on here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky said:

Of course it’s backed up on here, it’s a fans site lol. Fact is that he doesn’t have to be right in front of the keeper, it’s about being in his peripheral vision. Sammy jumps over the bloody ball, of course he’s interfering.

You’d be crying if that goal was given against us. Same with the Wharton foul. It’s a clear foul on the keeper. No doubt about it at all. 

They should have had a pen when the absolutely hapless Callum Brittain decided to just pull Broadbent back. You would have been sobbing into your blue and white tinted glasses if that had been at the other end!!!

The only one that I struggled to understand was the foul on Pickering after the ball had been played. He seemed to be taken out but nobody seemed to say much about it. The ball had gone but I’ve seen those given.

Pleased i took the 16/1 on relegation now. It’s nailed on after this new clown at the helm has proven that he can’t get a note out of the depleted squad either. It’s on Venkys, we’ve sold and sold and sold but not been able to bring in any real quality in the areas needed. We spunked all of our budget on an even worse keeper than Pears!!! Fuck knows how we managed to do that!!!

I’ve not seen the incident but the rule is clearly obstructs the opponents line of vision.

I’m far from convinced that includes their peripheral vision.