BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leeds United (a) - 13/04/2024

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

We've lost 4 in 14,that's far from shocking during a relegation battle, given the hand he was dealt. 

Barring the Bristol debacle, since he came we've conceded an average of less than one per game. To turn Rovers defence into such a tight unit, in such a short time, whilst fighting  relegation I reckon shows a fair bit of coaching acumen. 

Before these last 6 games, many were asking where our next point was coming from, we're now looking like we're going to stay up. 

He definitely deserves to start next season with a clean slate, he's earned it. 

I see your point but I raise your point with your comments in bold.

18 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

I see your point but I raise your point with your comments in bold.

One out of 14? Come on Neil. We've been in every other game.

It's been dull as dishwater and won't do from the start of a season, but all I'm saying is he's surely deserved a chance with a clean slate,now he knows the squad. 

I think he's shown a bit of nous. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, M_B said:

We've lost 4 in 14,that's far from shocking during a relegation battle, given the hand he was dealt. 

Barring the Bristol debacle, since he came we've conceded an average of less than one per game. To turn Rovers defence into such a tight unit, in such a short time, whilst fighting  relegation I reckon shows a fair bit of coaching acumen. 

Before these last 6 games, many were asking where our next point was coming from, we're now looking like we're going to stay up. 

Anybody who can rally the troops to put in a performance like today’s after the shit show on Wednesday night must have something about him. Morale, tactics and team selection - we were at it from the start so he got it spot on.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

These kinds of results don’t come around very often. I’m glad I and so many Rovers fans were there to witness it. 

We need to replicate that next Sunday and in the remaining games. 

Make the most of days like this because Summer will most likely be the usual Chicken Chokers flying circus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I dont really understand this clean slate demand. People cant just discard any opinions held of him already.

There is a lot of manipulating stats going on. Only 4 losses, but only 2 wins, an average of exactly a point a game is the only true gauge really. Also, averaging goals conceded ans taking out the time we conceded loads. Our goals scored under him is poor but you wouldnt take the 5 at Sunderland out.

Ive said before, surviving considering the buffer he came in with is IMO not particularly impressive, you think it is and that is equally valid. But im not going to totally wipe the slate clean. I have concerns about his ability to get us scoring goals and winning enough games. I have also seen signs that he is capable of getting clean sheets and organising the teams. Those opinions both bad and good I won't discard going into next season but obviously they are fluid and can change as time goes on. Its not a fresh start though.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont really understand this clean slate demand. People cant just discard any opinions held of him already.

There is a lot of manipulating stats going on. Only 4 losses, but only 2 wins, an average of exactly a point a game is the only true gauge really. Also, averaging goals conceded ans taking out the time we conceded loads. Our goals scored under him is poor but you wouldnt take the 5 at Sunderland out.

Ive said before, surviving considering the buffer he came in with is IMO not particularly impressive, you think it is and that is equally valid. But im not going to totally wipe the slate clean. I have concerns about his ability to get us scoring goals and winning enough games. I have also seen signs that he is capable of getting clean sheets and organising the teams. Those opinions both bad and good I won't discard going into next season but obviously they are fluid and can change as time goes on. Its not a fresh start though.

Clean slate, as in level playing field and not starting by having to put fires out with players you've never coached before, i thought that was obvious.

Everything this season has been about staying up, I've been saying for weeks that I don't really care if we draw our way to safety. 

If he fails he fails, but to me he's shown enough know how to certainly be given a fresh start from next season, I don't really know why you would Insist on carrying any of this season into next, hopefully it's mission accomplished. 

• Like 4

The points buffer obviously makes avoiding relegation easier, but we were bottom 2 in terms of form and he had to completely overhaul the team's playstyle (especially in defence). I think given the circumstances his performance is above par, if not massively so. I agree with those saying itll be very interesting to see how he goes with (hopefully) some support in the summer and a full pre season with his squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

These kinds of results don’t come around very often. I’m glad I and so many Rovers fans were there to witness it. 

We need to replicate that next Sunday and in the remaining games. 

Its amazing that there were so many Rovers fans there in the aftermath of that terrible Bristol result.

6000 was it?

2 hours ago, M_B said:

Clean slate, as in level playing field and not starting by having to put fires out with players you've never coached before, i thought that was obvious.

Everything this season has been about staying up, I've been saying for weeks that I don't really care if we draw our way to safety. 

If he fails he fails, but to me he's shown enough know how to certainly be given a fresh start from next season, I don't really know why you would Insist on carrying any of this season into next, hopefully it's mission accomplished. 

Id understand if you said that you have seen enough to have some hope with him as manager into next season, or something similar. Whether people agree or disagree. Its the idea of wiping the slate totally clean. Opinions are being formed, areas that we feel he has shown promise in, areas of concern and a general opinion. I dont get why that has to be parked at the door and for the majority it wont, positive or negative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ageoftherover said:

The points buffer obviously makes avoiding relegation easier, but we were bottom 2 in terms of form and he had to completely overhaul the team's playstyle (especially in defence). I think given the circumstances his performance is above par, if not massively so. I agree with those saying itll be very interesting to see how he goes with (hopefully) some support in the summer and a full pre season with his squad.

Im not convinced that a point per game is above par. Well, i am convinced it is not. At best par, maybe below.

No wish to piss on the party after a great win but Leeds were awful.

The much hyped Summerville is exhibit No 1.

Bamford for missing an easy header when virtually unmarked exhibit No 2.

They were off the pace, indeed pedestrian for much of the game and it may be that Leeds just lack the bottle.

I agree that on the day Eustace won the tactical battle but it was more than that, Leeds played as poorly as I've seen them in ages.

After that pass by Dolan and his recent performances I have changed my view and hope he re-signs. He's also developing a nasty streak, I like that.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

We pull off one of the most significant, unexpected, deserved and probably memorable wins for a few seasons and I come on here to read whingers whingeing.

What I was going to post.

That performance was as close to flawless as Bristol City was flawed. We got the gift wrapped cock-ups (all 8 of them at Ashton Gate- they only scored from 5) out of our system and were magnificent at the back. Discipline, organisation, heading, blocking, tackling all sensational. Defending brilliantly from the front so Leeds were never comfortable anywhere on the pitch.

At Ashton Gate, Gally didn't win anything whereas at Eland Road he dominated their defenders winning every headed ball which was there to be headed.

The one bugbear was our repeated failures to find the right ball when in their half but by the law of averages it was going to come together at some point and it did so gloriously with as good a four touches from keeper to goal move as anyone will be producing this season. Dolan's pass was utterly sublime and the more I see it the better it gets.

Yes we shouldn't ever have got into these desperate straits but that win was essential given the other results at the bottom. 

Sheffield Wednesday is a MUST NOT LOSE so I would keep the back 3. Avoid defeat and the survival job will be almost done. Win and it will be done.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ageoftherover said:

and he had to completely overhaul the team's playstyle (especially in defence).

The other thing that is overlooked is how little time he had on the training pitch in those first few weeks with games coming thick and fast. 

• Like 2

Why do people always do this on a win thread? This board’s been great fun, some good debate and discussion since FT yet some folk always have to try and derail it by pretending that brfcs is still ‘whinging’, being ‘negative’.

Weird.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It's worth watching to see the growing anger at Pears time wasting but from 4.10 it's classic and just hear the Rovers Roar! 😁 

That was worth a watch to see how pears lived rent free in the slime lickers heads. Although the biggest surprise is I didn’t know those yarkshire knuckle draggers could count so high.

Although one did go from 23 to 40 and fairly swiftly to 55 and 60. To be fair in the 20s these are pretty big numbers for the average Yorkshiremen. He definitely earned his gold star A for effort.

That being said I’ll add the caveat keepers wasting time does normally annoy me. I think they have 8 seconds to hold the ball but it really isn’t uncommon to see them hold it for 15-20 seconds and I’ve never seen it ever punished. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 3

Eustaces’ will be neither clean nor dirty for me, he’s been brought in to do a job, if/when the job is fulfilled then I’ll say well done. To this point he is on target to achieve his goal of retaining championship status, how he gets there is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things and I don’t think has much bearing on how a team would set up next year. 

There has been a job to do, some very acute problems to be solved and a seemingly chronic lack of morale that needed boosting. Eustace appears to have been doing the job he was hired for, nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Its amazing that there were so many Rovers fans there in the aftermath of that terrible Bristol result.

6000 was it?

I still have some adrenalin running through me this morning after yesterday and pretty much everything has been written about the great win but yesterday the Rovers fans were terrific. I saw lots of Rovers fans at Leeds who I had seen only two days before at Bristol but still they turn up such is their devotion. Apart from Marching on Together pre match I hardly heard the Leeds supporters and Eustace and the players deserve credit for that but Rovers fans were at it for the duration. Even the M62 being a car park and having to come home on the back roads couldn't spoil our day 😂😂.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, ageoftherover said:

He didn't have to completely overhaul the playing style at all, it just needed some changes.

The first half yesterday was shit. We were very lucky to not have conceded two or three but Leeds were pretty shit and ran out of ideas pretty quickly.
We did defend well but had absolutely no intention of going forward or even attempting to score.

Second half was excellent and he made all the necessary changes, we started having a go at them and it paid off.

We've had two good wins, a couple of good draws and managed to not lose so much. For me though there's a few games we only picked up draws that we should have won.

I'm going to need better than two wins in fourteen before I'll call myself convinced.