BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leeds United (a) - 13/04/2024

• K-Hod unpinned this topic

I'm still feeling really proud today of that Rovers performance. Showed how we can be dogged and not intimidated, despite a relative lack of skill across many match ups. It was a brilliant effort, goal, and result. A complete reversal of the shit show at Ashton Gate and, despite some of the other results, I now feel quite confident we will be OK. I'll enjoy this feeling for a week, at least...!

• Like 2

What an incredible result! Sensational. Thus division is a crazy place, but how often does it happen at the end of the season? Teams at the top of the table bottomish of the form table, with the relegation sides near the top.

The other part I'm really proud about was that I felt we were a little mugged off by the scheduling - leeds played at home on Tues, whereas we were away on Wed the other side of the country. 

However our fitness and determination was fantastic. 

Odds were 30-1 for us to go down on bet365 when i checked. Hopefully the bookie is always right!

6 hours ago, philipl said:

We pull off one of the most significant, unexpected, deserved and probably memorable wins for a few seasons and I come on here to read whingers whingeing.

What I was going to post.

That performance was as close to flawless as Bristol City was flawed. We got the gift wrapped cock-ups (all 8 of them at Ashton Gate- they only scored from 5) out of our system and were magnificent at the back. Discipline, organisation, heading, blocking, tackling all sensational. Defending brilliantly from the front so Leeds were never comfortable anywhere on the pitch.

At Ashton Gate, Gally didn't win anything whereas at Eland Road he dominated their defenders winning every headed ball which was there to be headed.

The one bugbear was our repeated failures to find the right ball when in their half but by the law of averages it was going to come together at some point and it did so gloriously with as good a four touches from keeper to goal move as anyone will be producing this season. Dolan's pass was utterly sublime and the more I see it the better it gets.

Yes we shouldn't ever have got into these desperate straits but that win was essential given the other results at the bottom. 

Sheffield Wednesday is a MUST NOT LOSE so I would keep the back 3. Avoid defeat and the survival job will be almost done. Win and it will be done.  

Agreed it was a magnificent performance, BUT we were very lucky with near misses and balls flying across the area. Their poor finishing also helped. After the season we have had with bad luck and very dodgy officials, we more than deserved the amount of luck we had. As you say as long as we don’t lose to Sheffield Wed we should be safe. I also think we should get something from the remaining two games as well, as long as we don’t let our standards drop as we did against Bristol city.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Agreed it was a magnificent performance, BUT we were very lucky with near misses and balls flying across the area. Their poor finishing also helped. After the season we have had with bad luck and very dodgy officials, we more than deserved the amount of luck we had. As you say as long as we don’t lose to Sheffield Wed we should be safe. I also think we should get something from the remaining two games as well, as long as we don’t let our standards drop as we did against Bristol city.

I actually thought we had the best chances, besides the goal, there was the Szmodics cross which I still can't believe didn't go in, and the Costello shot which was so close. 

Szmodics also forced the best save of the first half. Chances wise, they had the quantity but I'd say we had the quality. 

44 minutes ago, M_B said:

I actually thought we had the best chances, besides the goal, there was the Szmodics cross which I still can't believe didn't go in, and the Costello shot which was so close. 

Szmodics also forced the best save of the first half. Chances wise, they had the quantity but I'd say we had the quality. 

I don’t know how that cross from Sammi stayed out.

57 minutes ago, M_B said:

Agreed, but when the balls are playing ping pong in the area anything can happen. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Agreed, but when the balls are playing ping pong in the area anything can happen. 

Of them all, when nobody got on the end of the Somerville cross, I think that was their big moment. 

• Like 1

Was out yesterday but managed to catch the game in a pub I was in. More than happy to be proved wrong on us getting battered though we definitely lived a charmed life. The goal was superbly taken, with Sam finally winning a flick on and Dolan's superb footwork and pass and Sammie's typically good finishing. With the other results, this may not matter if we don't take at least a point from the remaining 3, so whilst a superb result in isolation, there's still a lot of work to do. 

It’s the Championship for you, inconsistent players, that’s why they are down here.

Look at Sunderland, we spanked them at their place last week, they won at a top 6 side yesterday.

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s the Championship for you, inconsistent players, that’s why they are down here.

Look at Sunderland, we spanked them at their place last week, they won at a top 6 side yesterday.

Or Bristol who beat us in a canter yet were extremely lucky to get a draw at home to Huddersfield.

33 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Still cant understand how we can be so abject v Bristol and then we witness yesterday?

Frustrating how we seem so Jekyll and Hyde.

I think first half at Bristol was all stupid individual defensive mistakes. Second half , once we went 3 down, we downed tools. The mental difference between those two performances was massive.

Why wasn't Bamford booked for that attempt to elbow the ball into the net late on? 

Once the ball looped over the crossbar he had the cheek to claim his shirt was being pulled and demanded a penalty!

He made 3 seperate penalty claims in extra time!

What an absolute tosser!

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 15:07, NeilInBristol said:

Result was great. Let's not get carried away. Eustace record and run of games has been shocking. We shouldn't have been in a situation where we are excited about beating Leeds because it means survival. He's had plenty of games we should have won and he's been shocking and so have the team.. let's not forget

But yeah totally great result today. We are almost safe..need a reshape in the summer though 

Yes let's keep holding on to all the negatives we can.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Why wasn't Bamford booked for that attempt to elbow the ball into the net late on? 

Once the ball looped over the crossbar he had the cheek to claim his shirt was being pulled and demanded a penalty!

He made 3 seperate penalty claims in extra time!

What an absolute tosser!

Yes there's been a lot made of poor Leeds not getting the penalties they deserved and how our time-wasting sorry superior gamesmanship got in their way of them physically being able to put the ball in the net. I thought Bamford threw himself forward when he realised he'd been outmuscled by Fadz for one of them, bit pathetic if you ask me. 

Edit: just watched that Bamford attempt to handle the ball in, that's an absolute joke, totally missed it at the time (busy jumping around celebrating). People complaining about our "dark arts" - that's another level.

On timewasting, it's strange how no one mentions the fact that, in the first half especially, the amount of rolling over on the floor by their lads was beyond a joke, must have wasted 2 minutes alone - any contact was being milked to death.

There was also even a moment in the 2nd half where we won a free kick and the Leeds player who was penalised just ran off with the ball and threw it away. 🤷‍♂️

Also watch any fan clips from the game in the home ends and you can see Leeds fans have an odd sense of how long a second lasts -  can barely get to "Mississ-" before the next number comes along 🤣

I've been sick to death of teams doing it to us, and watching Rovers teams of recent years plain refusing to take part in any dark arts as the clock ticks down, hence why we're one of the worst sides for conceding and scoring late goals.

I actually thought Ipswich at Ewood were the one of the worst teams to do it in recent memory, no one will mention that due to their status as media darlings. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

Now that we've had a couple of days to reflect, I'm going to say this ...

Pears was a very lucky man on Saturday. He punched/palmed the ball into the same dangerous areas he always does and he got lucky that they didn't fall to a Leeds player, or rather the Leeds players didn't make as much of them as other opponents have in the past.

That's not to take away from the string of excellent saves he did make, just that luck was definitely on his side this week.

• Like 4