BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

16 minutes ago, McClarky said:

It's nonsense to say that the lower leagues are more physically or mentally demanding than the upper ones. They are less demanding, the game is played at a slower pace and mistakes aren't punished like they are higher up.  Top teams are where they are because their players are physically and mentally stronger than lower teams, straight fiorward really.

One thing I would add to that is the pitches do change things. It's going to be a very different game come November away at a few of these teams. 

There are also a lot more of the physical tactics, we will have to be resilient!

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McClarky said:

It's nonsense to say that the lower leagues are more physically or mentally demanding than the upper ones. They are less demanding, the game is played at a slower pace and mistakes aren't punished like they are higher up.  Top teams are where they are because their players are physically and mentally stronger than lower teams, straight fiorward really.

In the lower leagues they kick each other a lot more but the football is definitely a lot slower in every sense of the word.

31 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Live coverage from Pune of TM's transfer target  list arriving 

KZquOZM.gif

Very good, I like that!

However, where are the faxes coming from?  The fax machine at Ewood doesn't work!

On 03/06/2017 at 10:53, Mattyblue said:

Stuart has a point re post war Rovers.

We went on a decline at exactly the wrong time.

Obviously losing the FA Cup final of 1960 on the manner we did was  unfortunate, but to get relegated in 1966 of all years was disastrous.

Football in the 70s is a time that still resonates now - Match of the Day, colour TV, Brian Clough, the rise of Liverpool, George Best, FA Cup final day etc etc.

That was a period in which we were floundering and Burnley had their only period of success.

I believe that is why we never got the credit we deserved as a club in the 90s, we were seen as some financially doped upstart whose only success was at a time of Pathe newswreels and matches against the Old Etonians and not as the renaissance of a grand old club. 

Great post but would just like to add that we where really unlucky to be relegated in 1966 at least in my oppinion.

Please remember at the start of the season the town had suffered a polio outbreak and as such the early games at home and some away where postponed.  Those games then and now are critical as new players are bedding in with new colleagues and players get match fit. That caused us many lost points which unfortunately we never recovered and some players became unsettled, Kieth Newton for example, telling the press he hated the club to affect a transfer.

Also the season before we were playing some great football with Douglas orchestrating and McEvoy and Pickering scoring for fun.  I also think that it was premature to give Jack Marshall the boot as we didn't get another decent manager until Howard Kendall turned up, again in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Very good, I like that!

However, where are the faxes coming from?  The fax machine at Ewood doesn't work!

Tony's borrowed one.

Only thing is it's from Coventry and they originally bought it from Venkys a few years ago along with some shelves and top soil from a funny looking geezer called Derek !

8 hours ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Andy Fisher to be Rayas no2

Steele to be no2 at Brighton I heard

If Steele is to be No2 at Brighton in the Prem then God help them if their regular keeper gets injured.

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Live coverage from Pune of TM's transfer target  list arriving 

KZquOZM.gif

Nope... this is my British Airways compensation claim.  The Venkys communicate better than they do

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Great post but would just like to add that we where really unlucky to be relegated in 1966 at least in my oppinion.

Please remember at the start of the season the town had suffered a polio outbreak and as such the early games at home and some away where postponed.  Those games then and now are critical as new players are bedding in with new colleagues and players get match fit. That caused us many lost points which unfortunately we never recovered and some players became unsettled, Kieth Newton for example, telling the press he hated the club to affect a transfer.

Also the season before we were playing some great football with Douglas orchestrating and McEvoy and Pickering scoring for fun.  I also think that it was premature to give Jack Marshall the boot as we didn't get another decent manager until Howard Kendall turned up, again in my opinion.

Ken Furphy and Gordon Lee, weren't bad.

23 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Keith Newton played on at Rovers until November 1969. Fred Pickering was sold in March 1964. It was John Byrom  ( 27 goals in league and cups ) and Andy McEvoy (  32 goals in league and cups  ) that were banging in the goals in the season before relegation.

Read those goalscoring stats and weep for the current Rovers team.

For me one of  the major factors was that  Bryan Douglas was injured for large chunks of the season and then not being the force he had been when he did play.

For all Dougies admirers I came across some great film recently of him playing in the Stanley Mathews testimonial match, it's on YouTube.

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Keith Newton played on at Rovers until November 1969. Fred Pickering was sold in March 1964. It was John Byrom  ( 27 goals in league and cups ) and Andy McEvoy (  32 goals in league and cups  ) that were banging in the goals in the season before relegation.

Read those goalscoring stats and weep for the current Rovers team.

For me one of  the major factors was that  Bryan Douglas was injured for large chunks of the season and then not being the force he had been when he did play.

For all Dougies admirers I came across some great film recently of him playing in the Stanley Mathews testimonial match, it's on YouTube.

Found it. Thanks. Well worth a watch.

stan-matthews-farewell-game-500x667.jpg

Take it for what it is worth but the French Newpaper l'equipe stated we are interested in John Bostock today. 

I like some of the names we have been linked with so far, but we need a Ball Winning midfielder and a creative spark. 

Worth mentioning; Bostock plays for the same club as Abdoul Ba, who if I remember correctly Coyle tried to take to Rovers for two straight transfer windows. Perhaps some sort of agent shenanigans going on between the two clubs? 

Also worth mentioning; Bostock apparently had a very decent season in the French second tier, leaving that for the English third wouldn't exactly be a sign of the ambition and drive that we need. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/john-bostock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/58097/plus/0/saison/2016/wettbewerb/FR2/verein/826

4 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Take it for what it is worth but the French Newpaper l'equipe stated we are interested in John Bostock today. 

I like some of the names we have been linked with so far, but we need a Ball Winning midfielder and a creative spark. 

L'equipe are very reliable, would be a good signing but I can't really see him coming to League 1.

Just now, RV Blue said:

L'equipe are very reliable, would be a good signing but I can't really see him coming to League 1.

I am presuming Mowbray is playing the "this is our temporary level" card. A bit of quality will make such a  difference in this division. We need to use the fact we are a historic(big) club to entice players in. 

1 hour ago, Commondore said:

Worth mentioning; Bostock plays for the same club as Abdoul Ba, who if I remember correctly Coyle tried to take to Rovers for two straight transfer windows. Perhaps some sort of agent shenanigans going on between the two clubs? 

Also worth mentioning; Bostock apparently had a very decent season in the French second tier, leaving that for the English third wouldn't exactly be a sign of the ambition and drive that we need. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/john-bostock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/58097/plus/0/saison/2016/wettbewerb/FR2/verein/826

Bostock was good for Lens, a team who slightly disappointed this year. 

I don't think I'd view moving from Ligue 2 to League One as a step down. League One is probably on a comparable level, certainly in the top half of the league, and there's a good chance that his pay would be better. 

Yes, your two divisions further away from the 'big time', Ligue 2 is not a place where footballers get much attention. A very successful season in Ligue 2 might get you a move to a mediocre Ligue 1 side, but nothing more. 

When you then factor in that he isn't French, it's not surprising to me that he might want to move back to England, even if it is far below the level he was at when he originally left. 

He seems like the type of player who is worth taking a punt on. 

1 hour ago, Commondore said:

So we only want crap players from the third of fourth tiers of UK or European football? C'mon, nobody is expecting PL players but surely we shouldn't be pooh-poohing potential quality through accusations of lack of ambition.

Not that there is likely to be any truth in it.

im sorry but those who are dissing a potential move for Bostock clearly no very little, I'd like to see who they suggest we sign! If there is any truth in a transfer for him it would certainly be a cracking signing, excellent on the ball and would easily be technically our best player! Was only a few year back Barcelona had a bid rejected for him! At least we are linked with somewhere which is a nice change of pace! 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

So we only want crap players from the third of fourth tiers of UK or European football? C'mon, nobody is expecting PL players but surely we shouldn't be pooh-poohing potential quality through accusations of lack of ambition.

Not that there is likely to be any truth in it.

I would be very surprised if we sign him 

I would be surprised as well, but the interest is there. For the record Bostock isn't particularly money orientated QPR tried to sign him last year during the summer and offered him a contract around the 9k's but he signed for Lens in order to play football on a regular basis which is what he is looking for when signing for a new club. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Bostock was good for Lens, a team who slightly disappointed this year. 

I don't think I'd view moving from Ligue 2 to League One as a step down. League One is probably on a comparable level, certainly in the top half of the league, and there's a good chance that his pay would be better. 

Yes, your two divisions further away from the 'big time', Ligue 2 is not a place where footballers get much attention. A very successful season in Ligue 2 might get you a move to a mediocre Ligue 1 side, but nothing more. 

When you then factor in that he isn't French, it's not surprising to me that he might want to move back to England, even if it is far below the level he was at when he originally left. 

He seems like the type of player who is worth taking a punt on. 

He won Ligue 2 player of the year, I'd imagine he'll have offers from both Ligue 1 clubs (St. Etiene rumoured) and Championship clubs.

Archived