BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackpool (A) - Tuesday 25th August

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Mate who had a stream said Holtby suited sitting back and dictating play. Concur on here or is he talking crap?

Concur. Could be good for his longevity too. He could watch vids of Tugay & learn his it's done properly, might give him another 6-8 years.

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'm happy with the young squad we've got. OK, it was only a friendly but we only need a good left back bringing in.

Both Wharton and Carter did well. Dolan is a gem. BB looking good. And we don't need another keeper as a sub. Fisher and Eastham look quite capable.

Agree with the sentiment, but I think it's an enormous risk to not get at least one more centre back in for me. I'm more than happy to get Wharton in and let him compete for a place, but we have to plan for the possbility that neither him nor Carter are up to it for this season, and that just leaves Lenihan & Williams who are both injury prone. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If I was a manager, I'd be looking at all the problems and goals caused by playing out from the back at goal kicks and telling my CB to push up to the half way line and let the keeper leather it out.  

It seems crazy.  

At this level, asking your GK to play like Edison is mental.

Schmeichel's distribution from hand was fine - why do they have to pretend they're good with their feet?

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How did the front 3 play tonight? I only got to watch about 8 minutes of the game. The internet service provided was awful. I have request a full refund form Inplayer

Why the hell are people STILL paying for shite like this and ifollow. GET IPTV. Flawless coverage all game tonight, again.

• Like 1

Good workout and another win. Much more dominant today than vs Fleetwood. The starting 11 is probably close to the team starting on Saturday and probably should've been 3 or 4 up at the break if Armstrong had finsihed like he use to.

Ben Brereton looks like an upgraded version, much stronger and fitter. 2 excellent finishes and a good allround performance. Rankin-Costello has a wonderful engine and was a constant outlet on the right, which allowed Brereton to join in as a striker at times. Much better than Nyambe offensively, but not as good defensively. 

Thought Wharton was pretty good, looks much more like a man and had decent distribution as well. The back four however didn't operate as unit and was Feeney was given a golden opportunity when Bell was 10 metres behind the rest of the line preventing offside. Bell looked off-pace in general and wasteful in possesion. Left-back is an obvious weakness to be addressed.

Dolan had another great showing. Started with tracking back 50yards at full sprint which prevented a dangerous opportunity. Very quick, good dribbler and really good work-rate. Pretty certain he will be preferred to Chapman who only bothers when the ball is in his feet. Dolan seems to have similar qualities but with work-rate.

Thought Davenport looked good when he came on. Dictated the play, tackled and generally looked busy.

Dan Pike came on for his debut and gave a solid impression, especially since he is usually a right back. He is only 18, so a bit suprising he has been involved with the seniors. Think this will be his first full year for the U-23. A proper full-back who competes and generally is very depdendable.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I don't know how anyone could definitively say that Holtby is suited to playing in a deper play-making role, given that he's never played there for us, but he hasn't done much to impress me ever since he came to the club a year ago, and he seems like a bit of a sick note. His three senior international caps came over the course of two years, which was 8-10 years ago, so I don't think that counts for much for the here and now. I suspect his wage is wildly disproportionate to the return he gives.

Legs had gone when i saw him last season.  One year older and a belly full of Mrs Mowbrays finest fancies... I'm not holding much hope 

• Like 1

I'm quite excited by the potential emergence of various young players like Brereton, Pike, Wharton, (Chapman?) and  Dolan. The Covid crisis might be the best thing  that's happened to us if it forces us to rely on youth.

I just hope Tony doesn't cite the need for "experience" and bring in a few one last payday merchants on loan to block the youngsters' progression.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm quite excited by the potential emergence of various young players like Brereton, Pike, Wharton, (Chapman?) and  Dolan. The Covid crisis might be the best thing  that's happened to us if it forces us to rely on youth.

I just hope Tony doesn't cite the need for "experience" and bring in a few one last payday merchants on loan to block the youngsters' progression.

As we've found out to our cost in the past the big problem is holding on to them once they start to shine at a serious level.

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We do need a bit of experience amidst it all though. 

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes agreed. Lots of good potential on show.

• Like 1

Downing was the right kind of experience and player but sadly he was too expensive and there aren't many about like that. Johnson was the opposite, he has something about him but looks shot or half arsed.

No more of those thanks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We do need a bit of experience amidst it all though. 

Yes, but 2 or 3 older heads to provide the know how while you build a young team. That's a "long term plan" not spending a fortune on mediocre loanees and players in their twilight years every season to limp in in midtable.

For example I don't think it's necessary to sign 2 CB's , I'd rather see Wharton challenging for a starting position. If Lenihan's as good as people say he is then Wharton or anyone else should find it easy to play alongside him.