BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Bolton 1

den

Clearly 'Rover The Moon' has shown himself to be the true Burnley fan that he is. To say that the Rovers played 'woefully' just shows how little attention he has paid to the game. As someone who has been at all of this seasons matches, including the trips to Austria and Poland, I can honestly say that I thought we played some tremendous football today. We got caught out on a set piece and then began to run out of steam, understandable after the game in Poland on Thursday. Two penalty misses are tough to take but it happens - ask Sheffield United!

We deserved something out of the game but football can be cruel and this was tough to take. But we've had a great season so far and I for one think we should be getting behind the players instead of slagging them off after one defeat. Get back to the 'Turf' 'Rover The Moon'

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly agree with Aggy Blue bar the pens bit - it's only when I see them I realise how much I loath Bolton especially pie boy and that diving spitting thing, although the rest aren't much better.

There were a lot of positives to be taken from the game as well as a load of negatives. First positive there was no european hangover - or if it was it was minimal taking it's toll in the second half. Notabley Nonda and Emerton imo whilst having good games were a fraction off their usual pace, but for the most part we played at an excellent high tempo.

We bossed the first half and whilst Bolton had a few chances, we had a darn sight more. Luck really wasn't with rovers that half and the penalty and ball crossing the line decisions were from where I was sat both 50-50 - certainly at Old Trafford for manure they'd have been nailed on certs. We defended for the most part pretty well against a loathsome but admittedly talented strike trio. With Tugay spraying around his passes, Savage getting into everything, Nonda and McCarthy looking busy you had to be optimistic. Bolton decided to foul whenever possible to slow things down and a stricter ref would've had caused them serious worries with a couple of yellow cards for professional fouls giving us even more room. That the ref booked Savage so early on contrary to later decisions shows that Super Rob is picked on. Nevertheless Rovers fans had every cause to be optimistic going in at the break - if somewhat mystified how we weren't in front.

Second half - again we started the better of the two teams but the tempo was that bit slower. Maybe it was europe, maybe we were worried about the counter attack or whatever but the slower tempo to me allowed Bolton back into the game. Their goal was inexcusable - who was meant to be marking Campo?

After that the biggest negative of the day showed - we went to pieces for 15 minutes or so. We didn't get the ball our passing was awful and our creativity was dire. I know going a goal down is a kick in the teeth (especially having dominated) but rovers need to react better. Eventually they did react better and clawed back possession and began to become more creative and dangerous, until they were on top again. That Bolton gave away 2 pens in short succession shows how dominant we were again. To me the fifteen minutes prior to our last dominant spell cost us the game. I believe penalty misses aside that if we'd have had chance to attack Bolton as we were for another 5 minutes we probably would've stuck away an opportunity such was the way things were going. We really need to bounce back from going a goal down much quicker than we are.

IMO a lot of it was after the 3rd substitution of Peter into the team. Whilst Roberts too made an impact when we take Pederesen off as invariably we do these days we really seem to lack width - especially as our best wide mid player Bentley goes to his weaker side. Having Peter on allowed us to get a bit more width and fully utilise it on both sides.

As for the penalty misses - pretty poor really. Not much else you can say but the bleeding obvious that we do need to practice them. In the end it sums up a frustrating afternoon for rovers who despite Souness friend lady luck not really smiling on us only have ourselves to blame that we didn't come away with something from the game.

In short - the bad news is we blew the game. The good news is - we blew the game. Despite our european foray we battered the team placed third in the prem, for nearly three quaters of the game played some awsome football and we lost the game rather bolton winning it. We have nothing to fear in this league based on this performance and we can put in back to back excellent displays after midweek games.

Edited by Blue blood

Neill lost Campo for the goal - shocking marking.

As for the game itself, well Hughes said it best, we didn't take our chances. At times we completely played Bolton off the park and opened them up like a tin can (the Bentley chance for example). Jussi had an absolute blinder; such a fantastic keeper, even if he is a bit of a muppet.

Concerning Benni being overrated and not having the predator instinct, well no he doesn't because ideally he's a second striker. Having said that he forced Jussi to pull out two outstanding saves today, so y'know he's doing something right. ;)

I wouldn't go that far. The performance today was actually very very good. We dominated the game and there is no doubt we should have won. But for a bit of dodgy defending, two crap penalties and a very boring Bolton defense, we would have done.

There are by far in away more positives to this game than negatives. Bolton were just plainly lucky on the day.

I can confirm it (as I think I said). I saw the replays on TV and it was clearly over.

And I can double confirm it! I watched the whole game live on Arab TV in a bar in Edinburgh, along with 9 other Rovers fans. The Arab TV ran an instant replay of Rovers goal that wasn't given. This shows in full screen close-up that the ball is right over the line with 2 or 3 inches of grass showing beyond the line and before any part of the ball; i.e. the whole ball is net side of the goal line.

However, while this is disapointing from a Rovers point of view, you can't really blame the ref, because a Bolton player hacks the ball out and away in an instant. When you see the whole thing in real time it happens so quickly that the ref could not possibly have had time to notice the ball's position, and no Rovers players made a strong protest so they were not sure about it either.

Stu- i was in a box 3 down from the fat Bolton tosser in the box (middle of BBurn End) who was consitently banging on the window and winding the rovers fans up. We put a formal complaint into the rovers- they advised us the police have it all on camera and its up to them what they do-

probably nothing at all but i have to say i had a ding dong argument with him in the toilets after, and made sure he knew he was an absolute disgrace.

:(

i have no problem with away fans respectfully celebrating but he was 100% over the top.

Was this anywhere near seat 140? I sit near there and it kinda kicked off a little, thanks to the guy in the box.

just watching the highlights, its making me even more baffled that we lost

the ball didnt bounce for us

2 penalty saves like that, you expect at least one to go as a re bound effort

One reason that we didn't get a rebound on the penalties was that there were at least 3 Bolton players running into the area before either kick was taken - they should both have been retaken.

Also I hope the ball boy who was verbally abused by Diouf in the first half reports him - an unbelievable outburst.

Erm??? Have we just finished a 8 game run of no losses with a woeful embaressing loss to Bolton at HOME missing 2 penalties??? YES!!! :blink:

The only thing Rovers did wrong today was fail to convert any of the very large number of chances they created into a goal or two, or three, or four. Plus they were 2 very poorly struck penalty's. Other than that Rovers played them off the park and also were unlucky that a legitamate goal scored in the first half was hacked back out as soon as it barely crossed the line and this was not noticed by any of the match officials.

Yes RTM we are ALL bitterly disapointed, but some of us can keep a sense of proportion. It is only one match we have lost, not a whole series of matches, and the team played well overall. Pull yourself together man!!

Edited by Fife Rover

I hate Bolton Wanderers.

They're crap, quick to cheat, play sub standard football that incredibly has taken them up the table, and curry favour with the local media.

In fact, everything we love to hate about Manchester clubs.

Davies is a two foot tackling thug with a big slapped arse high forehead mummy's boy look, and Juff is a spitting cheating ponce. Our defenders Zurab Khizanishvili and Andre Ooijer are an excellent combination and will those two a torrid time.

Europe high spirits and a team glowing in confidence, a 2-1 win.

Silly billy plod, getting it wrong as usual.

Perhaps he should take his own advice.

Try not to take things too seriously and remember IT'S ONLY A MESSAGE BOARD

:)

Some of the best football I have seen at Ewood for a long time. Has anyone considered that our poor finishing could be in itself a result of fatigue ?

Bolton must be the most "professional" team in the league. They push every rule in the book to the absolute limit, breaking up play with petty files, deliberately leaving in elbows, boots etc, pushing - oh and lets not forget group pressure on referees (one previously adopted by another Greater Manchester based team).

Irrespective of the result (which was disappointing) - I must say I was proud of everyone of the players (including MGP, who I thought contributed to an exellent team performance in the 1st half - though faded badly in the 2nd). Time to give a number of players a rest - I know MH wants to fight for every Cup - but I feel we need to give the youngsters and fringe players a chance against Chelsea on Wednesday.

Did you actually watch the game or are you just spouting crap again?

Yes i did actually watch the match. So before you start insulting, get the facts..

Just a little hacked off that i travelled all the way up from west sussex for my first game at ewood to see my team loose...

Edited by Rover The Moon

Saw brief highlights, very brief. Yes the ball was over the line and they were two very poorly taken penalties. We go a whole year without a penalty then get two together and miss them both.

Funniest bit was Sam in the post match interview, accused Roberts (though it was infact Benni) of "theatrical diving" bit rich coming from him don't you think.

As long as the lads played well we can't be too disheartened. Scabby lot Bolton, every time I see them they get some form of huge break in the luck department.

More good stuff to come from us this season though I'm sure.

Rover the Moon is a bit Rover the Top with his negativity too.

Saw brief highlights, very brief. Yes the ball was over the line and they were two very poorly taken penalties. We go a whole year without a penalty then get two together and miss them both.

Funniest bit was Sam in the post match interview, accused Roberts (though it was infact Benni) of "theatrical diving" bit rich coming from him don't you think.

As long as the lads played well we can't be too disheartened. Scabby lot Bolton, every time I see them they get some form of huge break in the luck department.

More good stuff to come from us this season though I'm sure.

Rover the Moon is a bit Rover the Top with his negativity too.

Can you blame me travelling all this way to see this as my first home match...! ;)

Yes i did actually watch the match. So before you start insulting, get the facts..

Just a little hacked off that i travelled all the way up from west sussex for my first game at ewood to see my team loose...

You are not going to tell me you got all the way back there in three hours are you, BTW it's lose.

God I hate that.

Can you blame me travelling all this way to see this as my first home match...! ;)

Yes I can, if you can not see the game for what it was, prefering to throw a tantrum you must not really appreciate footy so perhaps you would be best served saving your time and money next time. It's about entertainment too.

Actually you muppet i travelled up to my aunts house in manchester saturday and saw the match yesterday. Not that i should need to give you my travel plans.

Forgive me for being a bit tired, besides if you feel the need to proove a point by correcting a persons spelling then im not even gonna bother replying to your messages because that is sad!!

Oh and excuse me if i like to see my team win, i mean you dont get point for performing well do you!!!

Apart from the fact that im disabled and dont get to see Rovers play often as London isnt possible for me due to the underground and Southampton are nolonger in the league and pompy isnt a ground i like to visit, excuse me from blowing off a little steam.

I was not having a tantrum and i thibnk its rather pathetic you'd say i was, oh and by the way if the smallest misspelt word gets you that anoyed than i will gladly spell words wrong on purpose. lol

Loose loose loose loooooooooooooseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Edited by Rover The Moon

Even though we lost today (yesterday) i think the performance was definatly the most important thing this being due to the slashed ticket prices and good turnout. Hopefully in the longterm the performance will help to entice a few more supporters back to Ewood.

Im sure many will disagree but i personally think that under the circumstances (having a high attendance) that i would rather take a loss and a good performance like todays rather than a very boring (typical Bolton) game which i was expecting and getting something from it. :brfc:

Also rover the moon

:wstu:

Edited by ben_the_beast

People, please don't quote RTM. I have him on ignore, but it doesn't work when he's quoted!!

As for the match, I didn't go down, but I did listen and it sounded like we really dominated, probably one of our most recent dominating performances I can remember, at least in the number of shots. Sounds like a lot of them were at Jussi, though, but he still made a few really good saves.

Stu- i was in a box 3 down from the fat Bolton tosser in the box (middle of BBurn End) who was consitently banging on the window and winding the rovers fans up. We put a formal complaint into the rovers- they advised us the police have it all on camera and its up to them what they do-

The one I am referring to was in Box 1 - which I understood to be the players box? - I spoke to John Newsham last night and he wants to talk to me today.

Im not happy with this "its up to the police" mentality with corporate fans, just cos they pay their £100+ each match does not give them the right to gesture constantly to home fans. As I (politely) pointed out to the Chief Steward - I wouldnt last long in the stand if I banged on their window. He agreed.

Maybe you should have told Fat Sam before the match so that they could have scoerd a couple of own goals in celebration of your first game <_<

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.