BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Backroom

Ronaldinho is now a free agent at the age of 34/5 after having a few good years in brazil http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ronaldinho-i-was-about-join-manchester-united-how-i-lobbed-david-seaman-i-was-good-messi#:VrLOBAfOO35STAcould be great to get him in for a few months or so to add some real inspiration to the squad and get more bums on seats even if its just in the odd game or sub appearances as long as wage demands aren't silly(a pay as you play+ bonuses deal would be the most sensble though deal) and Lamberts is the one to ok the signing.

Could you really have joined Manchester United in 2003? Was that the closest you came to playing in England? What about the rumours linking you with Blackburn Rovers in 2011?

‘Gaffer’, via email

It almost happened with United. It was a matter of 48 hours, but Sandro Rosell had told me way before I got the offer: “If I become Barça president, will you come?” I said yes. It was only a matter of details with United when Rosell called to say he was going to win the elections there. And I had promised to him that I’d play for Barça… It was a quick negotiation. I told the English I had chosen Barça. It was the right choice. Brazilians have always loved Barça. We have a history there. Off the pitch it is like nowhere else in Europe, so we are always happy playing there. I miss Barcelona a lot. I had five fantastic seasons there, at a club that likes strikers and talented players. About Blackburn: we talked to them, but I wanted to come back home to Brazil.

Well, Ronaldinho did speak with us about joining, that in itself is an achievement. I would love to have him here, even if only until the end of the season... He would sell one hell of a lot of shirts!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Deila at Celtic wants Kozak.

If it was a choice between a loan to the championship or the spl I'd choose the championship but if it's full-time the lure of the champions league qualifier and Europa league group stage might prove too much

"His hold up play in getting us up the pitch when they were going route one was excellent. Goalscoring is every striker's mantra, but there's also that side of it that can go un-noticed by a lot of people."

So true.

This is a very interesting comment. He has identified the crux of the Rhodes debate early on, what a few of us have been saying for a while about holding it up.

If it was a choice between a loan to the championship or the spl I'd choose the championship but if it's full-time the lure of the champions league qualifier and Europa league group stage might prove too much

Celtic have one dead rubber in the Europa League then it's back to a procession to another tainted title via outposts like Dingwall and Kilmarnock. Notwithstanding Celtic's status as a huge club, the Championship has to be a more enticing prospect for the likes of Kozak.

I don't believe Celtic are a big club, not by European standards anyway, they are small fry

I don't necessarily agree with this. Celtic is a massive club. Their biggest problems at the moment are having no major rivals in domestic competition and hee haw TV money. Even as a Rovers fan I can see why Celtic fans are peed off when player x would rather sign for Rotherham or such like because they can earn more. Even with nothing to play for, Celtic will still pull in 30 - 40,000 crowds most weeks.

• Moderation Lead

Celtic is a massive club with a gigantic fanbase. It's too easy for them in their league at the minute with no real competition so any player going there won't be challenged.

I'm still not keen on them at all mind.

Still don't believe the Celtic hype, 1 major trophy in 50 odd years of European football, compared to ajax's 4 European cups, similar standard league, even forest have won 2, their fanbase is huge because of religion also added to the fact that no one else in Scotland is worth supporting, overhyped club that were they in the premier league would be midtable cannon fodder

If Celtic and/or Rangers got parachuted into the PL, they would need a whole new team or would be immediately relegated, however given a few years, the Old Firm would do well, their fanbases are huge with glory hunters from across Scotland, plus Northern Irish/ ROI support and English residents.

However, they won't ever play in England (thankfully) and they will continue to wither on the vine up there.

Still don't believe the Celtic hype, 1 major trophy in 50 odd years of European football, compared to ajax's 4 European cups, similar standard league, even forest have won 2, their fanbase is huge because of religion also added to the fact that no one else in Scotland is worth supporting, overhyped club that were they in the premier league would be midtable cannon fodder

I've no affinity to Celtic but that European cup win, with a side full of players born within 30 miles of the ground, was one of the most remarkable achievements in European football ever in my opinion.

If Celtic and/or Rangers got parachuted into the PL, they would need a whole new team or would be immediately relegated, however given a few years, the Old Firm would do well, their fanbases are huge with glory hunters from across Scotland, plus Northern Irish/ ROI support and English residents.

However, they won't ever play in England (thankfully) and they will continue to wither on the vine up there.

Agree with this. Living in Scotland, Celtic and Rangers supporters tend to have the arrogance of Man U and Chelsea supporters and their numbers are swelled by Glory Hunters who can use the Religious factor to latch on.

Im no fan, but Celtic in the Premiership with money to burn would find it easy to attract bigger name players and with 60,000 home gates. I'm afraid after a few years with a decent manager they would become a force to be reckoned with.

It would be a decent away day as well.

I've no affinity to Celtic but that European cup win, with a side full of players born within 30 miles of the ground, was one of the most remarkable achievements in European football ever in my opinion.

Celtic v Inter Milan 1967, a great match with Inter the top club in Europe at the time. Like the '66 World Cup Final it's one of those games I can quite clearly remember watching on the Beeb.

Not the best quality TV picture but worth it just to watch Jimmy Johnstone, and I got to watch him live! (not in this game though!):

Picture quality improves a bit as it goes on.

Celtic v Inter Milan 1967, a great match with Inter the top club in Europe at the time. Like the '66 World Cup Final it's one of those games I can quite clearly remember watching on the Beeb.

Not the best quality TV picture but worth it just to watch Jimmy Johnstone, and I got to watch him live! (not in this game though!):

Picture quality improves a bit as it goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfCtNxUF1U

Yeah, Jimmy Johnstone, what a winger. I remember him giving Keith Newton the runaround in the Scotland- England game and not many players did that. I think that performance cost Keith his place in the 1966 World Cup winning team.

Yeah, Jimmy Johnstone, what a winger. I remember him giving Keith Newton the runaround in the Scotland- England game and not many players did that. I think that performance cost Keith his place in the 1966 World Cup winning team.

A 5 ft. 2 inch magician.

10 minutes which should be compulsory viewing. I think he's skinning Keith at about 7.05 min:

How much would Johnstone be worth today.

Archived