BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] No To Coyle

You should try talking to some fans 47er. The 'Dingle' connection crops up time and time again. That's what's disappointing. The guy has had no connection with our club in the past, ]b]applied for the job and got it[/b]. He is OUR manager and is selecting and coaching OUR team. It's the reason he gets my support despite the fact that the odds are stacked against him.

Like you Rev, I've heard nothing but positive things coming from staff - and not the Cheston's of this world but the folk much lower down who find him a pleasure to work with - and the players. In our situation we need everyone at the club pulling together behind the manager and so that is a huge positive in my book.

The doubt around the bit in bold is part of the problem.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Not that it matters too much but was speaking to a Club employee last night who said working with Coyle was the polar opposite of working with the previous manager. Lambert was miserable, dour and un-coperative and always full of different excuses as to why we lost. As regards the players everything was off limits and you couldn't do this, couldn't do that etc.

Coyle is apparently completely the opposite to work with, always positive and nothing is too much trouble if anyone needs helping out with an appearance etc.

That in itself is unlikely to put any more points on the board but nonetheless I thought it was an interesting comparison from the horse's mouth so to speak.

To me, that simply translates as: Lambert was professional, wanted us to work hard and identified a number of problems which needed addressing. Coyley just wants to take things easy and have a laugh, top bloke.

Honestly, it means nothing. I'm sure neither Hughes nor Allardyce were a pleasure to work with when things weren't going well, but they got the job done here and elsewhere. Meanwhile Coyle has failed in his last few jobs quite miserably, so he has it all to prove. Kean was by all means a great bloke to work for, too (unless you were his assistant manager), and look how that turned out.

You should try talking to some fans 47er. The 'Dingle' connection crops up time and time again. That's what's disappointing. The guy has had no connection with our club in the past, applied for the job and got it. He is OUR manager and is selecting and coaching OUR team. It's the reason he gets my support despite the fact that the odds are stacked against him.

Like you Rev, I've heard nothing but positive things coming from staff - and not the Cheston's of this world but the folk much lower down who find him a pleasure to work with - and the players. In our situation we need everyone at the club pulling together behind the manager and so that is a huge positive in my book.

But surely if something dodgy is going on, then he shouldn't get our support? Would you agree with that, assuming he is a Kean mk 2?

The question then becomes is he a Kean mk 2? To which his lies about SEM and the very suspicious interview process and how Coyle got the job despite not filling the criteria etc. and with his poor record to boot makes you think something underhand happened.

Agree, complaints about him being a dingle are daft - people have reason to be unhappy with him because he has failed in the last three jobs, and reason to be against him, as for the reasons outlined above, it looks like he is part of the con.

But surely if something dodgy is going on, then he shouldn't get our support? Would you agree with that, assuming he is a Kean mk 2?

The question then becomes is he a Kean mk 2? To which his lies about SEM and the very suspicious interview process and how Coyle got the job despite not filling the criteria etc. and with his poor record to boot makes you think something underhand happened.

Agree, complaints about him being a dingle are daft - people have reason to be unhappy with him because he has failed in the last three jobs, and reason to be against him, as for the reasons outlined above, it looks like he is part of the con.

I don't see him as Kean mk 2 though. I can see lots of reasons why he was appointed - local to the area, managed similar clubs in Burnley, Bolton and Wigan. Experienced in managing on a tight budget in the Championship and has worked the loan system reasonably well in the past. He might not have been my first choice, but I can see reasons why he would be deemed suitable other than agents.

I don't see him as Kean mk 2 though. I can see lots of reasons why he was appointed - local to the area, managed similar clubs in Burnley, Bolton and Wigan. Experienced in managing on a tight budget in the Championship and has worked the loan system reasonably well in the past. He might not have been my first choice, but I can see reasons why he would be deemed suitable other than agents.

Thanks for the reply. Think the bold is where we differ, hence why different viewpoints on him and the crux of the debate.

For me the above reasons, coupled with Venkys past history, strongly suggest it is a dodgy appointment. Tbh I find it hard to see how people can give the benefit of the doubt to Venkys - did you not find the recruitment process a bit suspicious as well as shambolic? Or is lies about SEM?

I'm also not convinced that being local to the area, or having managed similar clubs to us (2 of the 3 unsuccessfully) are good criteria to appoint a manager. Indeed given his record of failures outweighing his successes at similar clubs perhaps that should count against him! I'm not too sure he has massively used the loan market successfully either, though happy to be corrected on that one. Granted he's done it once, on a limited budget at Burnley, but then he's also failed on a limited budget at Bolton, Wigan and Houston. His past experience supports the case against, a lot more than it does for. It's no good having managed similar situations to ours, if the result more often than not has been failure!

Serious problems with the selection process though. Applicants had been interviewed (Coyle had not applied apparently), the three members of the panel were about to make their decision and suddenly a person who hadn't figured was appointed, it seems over the heads of the panel.

Easy to see why some would see him as the new Kean in these circumstances. His former Agency, and his denial of even having heard of it, add further fuel to the fire.

I fear the worst. He clearly is not standing up to the owners in terms of transfers out with strong rumours Duffy is next to go. It simply looks like he was desperate for a job, any job whatever the terms.

A poor comparison to Lambert on the basis of integrity alone.

To me, that simply translates as: Lambert was professional, wanted us to work hard and identified a number of problems which needed addressing. Coyley just wants to take things easy and have a laugh, top bloke.

Honestly, it means nothing..

Really? It means nothing? There is more than one man management style and in my experience managers who take an interest in their staff, are approachable and help their staff are more likely to get a positive response.

Creating a friendly positive atmosphere in a business generally brings greater benefits than costs. Yes footballers are different and must be asked to show extra discipline but creating an atmosphere in which they want to play for the manager is important.

• Backroom

Really? It means nothing? There is more than one man management style and in my experience managers who take an interest in their staff, are approachable and help their staff are more likely to get a positive response.

Creating a friendly positive atmosphere in a business generally brings greater benefits than costs. Yes footballers are different and must be asked to show extra discipline but creating an atmosphere in which they want to play for the manager is important.

All that matters is results on the pitch, Paul. I don't care what he's like as a person.

Coyle's a funny one. Because of his "infectious" positive character, the fans and apparently people in the industry buy in to what he's saying. Kean was just the same. Endless positives and no doubt gets on well with the players. Unfortunately, if you're just a downright poor football manager, it doesn't really matter how happy and positive you are. I mean, he's getting plaudits, despite not actually doing anything yet bar making a couple of freebies and loan signings. We have a threadbare squad and have scraped through pre-season without punishing any of the weaker sides we've come up against yet he's already had an easier ride than Lambert was given by some fans. He comes across as a pushover and is that really the sort of manager we want at the helm? He'll let Venky's mess him around and won't speak a word against them, because he's just be happy to have a job, especially at such a historic and famous club.

I know the players were out boozing in Austria and I doubt that was the only session they've had this summer. I really think we'll be in for a shock this season.

All that matters is results on the pitch, Paul. I don't care what he's like as a person.

It doesn't matter how good or bad he is as a manager, if he is working with technically poor players, sub standard for the division, he will fail.

Coyle is working with some really poor players.

• Backroom

It doesn't matter how good or bad he is as a manager, if he is working with technically poor players, sub standard for the division, he will fail.

Coyle is working with some really poor players.

Lambert was well aware of this, and that's why he walked. There was no success to be had here. Coyle would have been well aware of the situation, too, so no sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Didn't work all that well for him at his last three clubs.

Creating a fun environment is fine once the hard work is done and everyone is fit and knows their responsibilities.

We'll see how the players are doing in the last 10-15 minutes of matches. Too frequently under Bowyer, we were clearly second best at that sort of time - which I believe was down to lack of fitness. Lambert came in and quickly identified fitness as an issue. I'm minded of Bennett's comments on arriving that he was "fit but not Lambert fit". I was very much looking forward to him taking his players through a full pre-season programme and having them raring to go. Instead we look as though we are back there again.

Didn't work all that well for him at his last three clubs.

Creating a fun environment is fine once the hard work is done and everyone is fit and knows their responsibilities.

We'll see how the players are doing in the last 10-15 minutes of matches. Too frequently under Bowyer, we were clearly second best at that sort of time - which I believe was down to lack of fitness. Lambert came in and quickly identified fitness as an issue. I'm minded of Bennett's comments on arriving that he was "fit but not Lambert fit". I was very much looking forward to him taking his players through a full pre-season programme and having them raring to go. Instead we look as though we are back there again.

I have real fears for our fitness this season. Can't see Coyle having the sort of control to keep the less professional players in check. As I said a couple of posts up, the players all went on at least one massive blow out in Austria during our pre-season training camp. They'd all have been hanging on the flight home, something they wouldn't have got away with under Lambert.

It's just pathetic that British players cannot keep off the ale for one week when the sole purpose of that week is to start the road to prime fitness for the season after a lot of then will have spent all summer on the lash. It's one week for gods sake and no doubt on touch down back in England the first thing on some of their minds is getting back on it.

Managers and coaches have to take a lot of the blame they could stop it not encourage it. Problem is they themselves want any excuse to go on the razz as well. Farce.

So, say Coyle was to get sacked... Who would actually come here now? No-one would manage Rovers.

What about the other people who Coyle beat to the job? They probably wouldn't now - after all the season has started and we are about to get tubbed. But starting to vindicate those who said appointing Coyle was a monumental screw up.

So, say Coyle was to get sacked... Who would actually come here now? No-one would manage Rovers.

Plenty of people/mamager would love to work here and with our facilities but the biggest problem is the owners..

Still dont understand why they are here as owners and why the sack Bowyer then appointed Lambert but not back him this summer and let him walk away. Crazy owners. Should have stick with Bowyer

This summer I wanted a young and up coming manager like Monk. He would have been a great appointment.

The biggest question is why do they still want to own this great club and great fans.

It was noticeable today that Alex Neil was stood right at the front most edge of his technical area for the whole game, directing operations, shouting, giving orders, advice etc.

Contrast that to our man who, for the most part, was out of view either at the back/behind his technical area or sat down, further behind it. Didn't seem to want to connect with the fans or players. This may change in the games ahead but, given that we were three down inside the first twenty six minutes, I found a little strange.

It was noticeable today that Alex Neil was stood right at the front most edge of his technical area for the whole game, directing operations, shouting, giving orders, advice etc.

Contrast that to our man who, for the most part, was out of view either at the back/behind his technical area or sat down, further behind it. Didn't seem to want to connect with the fans or players. This may change in the games ahead but, given that we were three down inside the first twenty six minutes, I found a little strange.

Sounds just like that wally Gary Bowyer.

Archived