BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

11 minutes ago, Gordon Gekko said:

Isn’t the Luton match now FA cup 4th round week so that will be rearranged?

No. The 5th Round is the first weekend in February when we are playing Swansea, who are also out of the Cup. It is usually in January - don't know why it's later this year.

3 minutes ago, only2garners said:

No. The 5th Round is the first weekend in February when we are playing Swansea, who are also out of the Cup. It is usually in January - don't know why it's later this year.

It's because the Premier League have a weekend off on January 29th because of the rearranged South American World Cup qualifiers that are happening then, that along with the AFCON going on it was decided that they would get the last weekend of Jan off, and move the next round of the cup to the first weekend of Feb.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Chilean news sources are reporting Blackburn is trying to secure BBD's services against Middlesbrough for Mon Jan 24, just 3 days before Chile face Hungertina on the 27th.  This would normally not be a huge deal but Chile will not be playing in Santiago but in Calama in the northern Atacama desert, elevation of 2260m/7410ft.  BBD needs time to acclimate to altitude.

Teams like Hungertina, Uruguay, & Brazil have HUGE issues playing at altitude.  VS Bolivia (in La Paz 3640m/ 11,942ft) they dont even "lace their gloves", to use a boxing term, and routinely get trounced by otherwise weak Bolivia.  Chile has high Andean peaks but no population centers at great altitude. 

Chile has chosen to play against Argentina in northern Calama to take advantage of its relatively high altitude and attempt to gain a slight advantage over Hungertina.  In addition, Chile will then be playing against Bolivia in La Paz and playing in Calama will help the team acclimate to Bolivia's high altitude and thin air.

Keeping BBD for an extra game could jeapardize Ben's own aclimation since he's never played at altitude.  3days isnt enough time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Chilean news sources are reporting Blackburn is trying to secure BBD's services against Middlesbrough for Mon Jan 24, just 3 days before Chile face Hungertina on the 27th.  This would normally not be a huge deal but Chile will not be playing in Santiago but in Calama in the northern Atacama desert, elevation of 2260m/7410ft.  BBD needs time to acclimate to altitude.

Teams like Hungertina, Uruguay, & Brazil have HUGE issues playing at altitude.  VS Bolivia (in La Paz 3640m/ 11,942ft) they dont even "lace their gloves", to use a boxing term, and routinely get trounced by otherwise weak Bolivia.  Chile has high Andean peaks but no population centers at great altitude. 

Chile has chosen to play against Argentina in northern Calama to take advantage of its relatively high altitude and attempt to gain a slight advantage over Hungertina.  In addition, Chile will then be playing against Bolivia in La Paz and playing in Calama will help the team acclimate to Bolivia's high altitude and thin air.

Keeping BBD for an extra game could jeapardize Ben's own aclimation since he's never played at altitude.  3days isnt enough time.

Who pays  his wages The Rovers or Chile ?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Who pays  his wages The Rovers or Chile ?

We don’t want to start being pushy with Ben and his international desires. The magical Chilean Diaz spice added to the fire in his belly cannot be understated;It’s like a catalyst. I’m pretty sure he draws some magical powers from South America when he goes there. 

We will lose him for a few matches, but he will come back stronger,  fully powered up and ready for the final push. 

His fans in Chile think he’s the best player in our league, when he embraces this the witchcraft happens. He loves this crazy fairytale like we all do.  We need his army of followers to jump on the Rovers going up train! 

Venky’s should be making this story into a Bollywood movie, if we get promoted I can definitely see Netflix and Co. Wanting to make a series out of Ben. Would be better than Dream Team. 

Edited by Dan

42 minutes ago, Dan said:

We don’t want to start being pushy with Ben and his international desires. The magical Chilean Diaz spice added to the fire in his belly cannot be understated;It’s like a catalyst. I’m pretty sure he draws some magical powers from South America when he goes there. 

We will lose him for a few matches, but he will come back stronger,  fully powered up and ready for the final push. 

His fans in Chile think he’s the best player in our league, when he embraces this the witchcraft happens. He loves this crazy fairytale like we all do.  We need his army of followers to jump on the Rovers going up train! 

Venky’s should be making this story into a Bollywood movie, if we get promoted I can definitely see Netflix and Co. Wanting to make a series out of Ben. Would be better than Dream Team. 

That's all true, but the point still stands. They need Ben, sure. So do we, he could be worth 150+ million for the club if we make it to the PL. We pay his wages, they dont. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Put him on the bench then. We have a league to get out of.

Your country's choice to use a high elevation to gain an unfair advantage against your opponent is not only not our problem, but you'll have nearly a full team who will have acclimated whilst your opponents haven't. If that's not enough, tough.

Not directed at you per se, just the notion that we should be missing our top scorer in a crucial promotion charge due to your tactical decisions regarding games that are already being played outside of the international break.

We wish Chile the best, and wish Ben the best playing for Chile. But no way in hell would I be sanctioning him missing a game that's 3 whole days before yours if it's in our power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

2 or 3 days to acclimatise and then play at such altitude?

Sheer madness, and from someone who lived and worked at such altitude.

Also quite potentially harmful to the individual.

You cannot acclimatise to altitude in 2-3 days, that's why Bolivia always do so well at home. Chile's players will feel the effects the same as the opposition.

Chilean news talking about the possibility of Ben not coming at all as apparently negotiations between Rovers & the Chilean football federation are still ongoing.

"¿Will Ben be released?"

20220115_084553.thumb.jpg.77631c9e11a48dc64324eaa3a4037dd5.jpg

"Arrival in Calama in doubt: ¿Will Ben remain in England?"

20220115_084539.thumb.jpg.cd59d03e1eec2b60029ee67df338d95c.jpg

The rest of the Chilean team is set to arrive in the relatively high altitude city of Calama in the middle of the Atacama desert on Monday January 24, the same day as the Blavkburn game vs Middlesbrough.  Ben is the ONLY player on the Chile squad who has never played at altitude.

(As am fyi, the Calama is situated on a high pleateau between the coastal mountain range & the Andes.  Calama depends on large mining operations nearby, has a relatively wealthy 1st division chilean club, and in my opinion is one of the ugliest cities in Chile.  The game will be played with reduced capacity due to the recent omicron outbreak, though Chile has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and began a 4th round of vaccine boosters this month).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

Chile vs Argentina is on the 28th I wouldn’t even consider letting him play in that as it’s Luton v rovers on the 29th. Then it’s Bolivia v Chile on the 1st. So at most it’s one game 

As I understand it we don't have a choice unless the club wants to get sanctioned* or that we can somehow do a deal with Chile.

* I have no idea what the sanction would be.

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

As I understand it we don't have a choice unless the club wants to get sanctioned* or that we can somehow do a deal with Chile.

* I have no idea what the sanction would be.

this isn't an official fifa date.  there was an agreement that chile disisted in its threatened "sanctions" or whatever against Blackburn back in october under the understanding that Ben would be allowed to play these games at the end of January.  Tony Mowbray said as much in interviews.  While it seems he will be released, it's not the way chile would prefer, being so close to their game against Hungertina.

Edited by LordBaltimore

15 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

this isn't an official fifa date.  there was an agreement that chile disisted in its threatened "sanctions" or whatever against Blackburn back in october under the understanding that Ben would be allowed to play these games at the end of January.  Tony Mowbray said as much in interviews.  While it seems he will be released, it's not the way chile would prefer, being so close to their game against Hungertina.

I know that these games are outside the normal schedule and I heard Steve Waggott say at the November Fans Forum meeting that Ben will be going - this is the minute: -

7.      Ben Brereton Diaz - Chile

JW asked whether Ben Brereton Diaz would be travelling to play Chile’s next two World Cup qualifying games on 28th January and 1st February even though these were outside the usual International breaks. SW replied that, if fit, he would as the club would be sanctioned if they didn’t allow him to go. He would as a result miss one or maybe two league games in the New Year.

It's frustrating for Rovers as the Premier League are taking a week off to accommodate them but the Championship are not. And then on top of that Sky TV have moved our game on 22/1/22 to Monday 24/1/22 when Ben should already have set off for Chile.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I know that these games are outside the normal schedule and I heard Steve Waggott say at the November Fans Forum meeting that Ben will be going - this is the minute: -

7.      Ben Brereton Diaz - Chile

JW asked whether Ben Brereton Diaz would be travelling to play Chile’s next two World Cup qualifying games on 28th January and 1st February even though these were outside the usual International breaks. SW replied that, if fit, he would as the club would be sanctioned if they didn’t allow him to go. He would as a result miss one or maybe two league games in the New Year.

It's frustrating for Rovers as the Premier League are taking a week off to accommodate them but the Championship are not. And then on top of that Sky TV have moved our game on 22/1/22 to Monday 24/1/22 when Ben should already have set off for Chile.

could be a good weekend for a rush of covid cases not that i am saying others have used it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I would just let him go to Chile, win the games he is away for, this keeps everyone happy. Chile get Brereton, we get Diaz on return. Plus he will be handy if we have to play at altitude.

He should be great at West Brom then, the highest ground in the league.