BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

He's having another really good game so far. Great header for goal and linking up really well with Sanchez. Let's hope he has a shite second half because Newcastle and West Ham will be watching this game closely.

Since God created the heavens and the earth, about 6000yrs ago, Chile has only ever beaten Argentina one time ever in an official game (recent Copa América finals aside).  One always has hope but not the expectation.  But a tie would have been nice. 

Argentina were already qualified and they played what seemed like a very relaxed game.  The Argentine team is very pleased to have possibly knocked Chile out of the next world cup (the teams and nationalists in both countries dislike each other).  Chile didn't seem to generate a lot of danger though there were sparks.  Ben had a couple of chances to knock the ball at goal towards the end but it dind't quite happen for him a 2nd time.  Still, he now has a goal against Argentina (to add to those vs Bolivia, Paraguay, and Cubazuela).

As it is (and with Uruguay winning tonight) this puts Chile in a tough spot, now down to 7th with 3 games remaining (the 2nd of which vs a qualified but always good Brazil, in Brazil).  Things look tough but not impossible, given how tight things are for spots 4 (automatic qualification to Qatar) and spot 5 (playoff vs Oceania, which is as good as qualifying really).  Chile must win vs Bolivia at La Paz on Tuesday (8:30pm UK time I think) and will have to defeat Uruguay at home on the last day of CONMEBOL qualifying in March.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Things look tough but not impossible, given how tight things are for spots 4 (automatic qualification to Qatar) and spot 5 (playoff vs Oceania, which is as good as qualifying really). 

I don't think that's correct LB. I live in Nz and I'm sure I remember reading about the qualification draw and Oceania got North America..

4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Since God created the heavens and the earth, about 6000yrs ago, Chile has only ever beaten Argentina one time ever in an official game (recent Copa América finals aside).  One always has hope but not the expectation.  But a tie would have been nice. 

Argentina were already qualified and they played what seemed like a very relaxed game.  The Argentine team is very pleased to have possibly knocked Chile out of the next world cup (the teams and nationalists in both countries dislike each other).  Chile didn't seem to generate a lot of danger though there were sparks.  Ben had a couple of chances to knock the ball at goal towards the end but it dind't quite happen for him a 2nd time.  Still, he now has a goal against Argentina (to add to those vs Bolivia, Paraguay, and Cubazuela).

As it is (and with Uruguay winning tonight) this puts Chile in a tough spot, now down to 7th with 3 games remaining (the 2nd of which vs a qualified but always good Brazil, in Brazil).  Things look tough but not impossible, given how tight things are for spots 4 (automatic qualification to Qatar) and spot 5 (playoff vs Oceania, which is as good as qualifying really).  Chile must win vs Bolivia at La Paz on Tuesday (8:30pm UK time I think) and will have to defeat Uruguay at home on the last day of CONMEBOL qualifying in March.

I scored a goal just like that a few decades ago! Admittedly it was at a slightly lower level....

Terrible goal keeping but another £10m on his transfer value. Happy Days.

Lovely to see how much enthusiasm Ben generates in Chile. I was reading the first few pages of the Sam Gallagher thread and there are  some truly embarrassing comments about Ben on there including one from myself insinuating he may have been a waste of £7m and I always thought I was pretty supportive of him and said I could see a hint of a player trying to get out.

😳

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Terrible goal keeping but another £10m on his transfer value. Happy Days.

Lovely to see how much enthusiasm Ben generates in Chile. I was reading the first few pages of the Sam Gallagher thread and there are  some truly embarrassing comments about Ben on there including one from myself insinuating he may have been a waste of £7m and I always thought I was pretty supportive of him and said I could see a hint of a player trying to get out.

😳

I still shudder when I remember Jal called him a “dud” after about 30 minutes of a cameo.

He has really kicked on. Shows what love and support can do for confidence, and in turn productivity on the pitch!

Edited by JBiz

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I still shudder when I remember Jal called him a “dud” after about 30 minutes of a cameo.

He has really kicked on. Shows what love and support can do for confidence, and in turn productivity on the pitch!

At some point he must have read the Gary Player quote , roughly “ The harder I work the luckier I get “, and decided he was going to work hard. He’s never looked back from that moment.

6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Sometimes works.

I branded Grabbi something similar after seeing his first outing in a friendly and remember being rounded upon by Lee Grooby formerly of this parish.

(Hi Lee if you still read this site, hope you're well)

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At some point he must have read the Gary Player quote , roughly “ The harder I work the luckier I get “, and decided he was going to work hard. He’s never looked back from that moment.

That quote has been attributed to Gary Player many times, but I'm almost certain he either didn't say it or 'borrowed' it from another golfer. Doesn't alter your point though TS

Brereton Diaz has benefited from patience which many players just won't get, unless they are big signings or manager favourites. He was getting picked because he was a Mowbray big signing, despite some average showings, admittedly in a dysfunctional team without a logical structure.

His hard work and ability - as well as some fortune, have taken him on but I think the value of patience cannot be overstated.

Edited by riverholmes

6 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I don't think that's correct LB. I live in Nz and I'm sure I remembe r reading about the qualification draw and Oceania got North America..

You are, of course, correct.  I am ashamed.   I swear the quick source I looked up said OFC but yes, looks like it's the 5th place Asian team.