BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

NUFC for BBD? I think their sights are a lot higher than a championship youngster with their lofty ambitions

No, that end bit of the article is relating to Gustav Isaksen.

Although it is confusingly written tbf. 

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Interesting gambit by our owners - could be a double bluff to get the best price for him in January - but they did show with Rothwell that they are prepared to gamble on promotion.

Even if we got top price for him in January, with our wage restrictions, replacing him will be tough - unless JDT has someone in mind.

If we were languishing in midtable and managed to get a bid around 8 figures, I'd strongly consider letting him go. Replacing him like for like will be near enough impossible irrespective of the fee, but at least there's a profit on our initial outlay and the opportunity to invest back in the squad. 

If we get towards the end of January approaching 50 points though, then we'd be absolutely insane to sell for any price. Such a frustrating one as you can see the rest of the squad being in a great position next year (assuming we don't go up this year) but BBD is such an enormous hole to fill. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Interesting gambit by our owners - could be a double bluff to get the best price for him in January - but they did show with Rothwell that they are prepared to gamble on promotion.

Even if we got top price for him in January, with our wage restrictions, replacing him will be tough - unless JDT has someone in mind.

Not sure it's a double bluff, maybe just taking a view that it's the best approach to get the best price if he does go as we are clearly indicating we won't drop the valuation. Happy to sell at £15M or keep him.

With how crazy the transfer market is I wouldn't be surprised if we did get big offers in January. He's more proven now - scored regularly for over a year at Championship level, and also doing okay at international level. Plenty of clubs will be desperate and flush with cash in Jan and I can see someone coming in for £15M.

What's really nice is we've managed to win games without him playing well or playing at all, and have the goals shared quite well across the team. If we lost him I wouldn't be as worried as this time last year, though obviously much better if we kept him or found a really good replacement.

I think its impossible to be right or wrong at this point. We'll only know when it happens.

Just to elaborate, nearly a year ago I was adamant that we should not sell Rothwell to Bournemouth because it would  undermine our promotion campaign! Then came that run of 17 games without a win and my reasoning became utterly redundant!

Similarly, I thought we could be in the deep stuff this season after losing 3 regulars for free. Yet we are not and arguably a more convincing promotion hope than a year ago.

So, I continue to put forward my opinion but I don't feel as adamant about it as I used to. Humility has come late in life!!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If we got offered £15m in January, which is extremely doubtful, but we would really have to strongly consider it. Of course, the majority would need reinvesting, but that could create a really strong team for more than 6 months, and still help us short term too.

We didn't even got offer 15 million pounds in the summer so why would we now? 

3 offers for him all summer. 

8.4mi from Sevilla and Nice. 

6 mil plus 4 mil in add ons

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Panic does crazy things to football clubs and their owners. Put simply 15 million is still not a huge amount for a lot of Premier League clubs. 15 million for a better shot at survival and a proven championship striker if you do go down is a no brainer. 

In addition, he's continued to prove himself. Its not outside the realms of possibility. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think we will get £15 million - probably a lot less. But the circumstances of a January window means that teams might pay a premium. 

Brereton is showing that last season wasn't a flash in the pan, and any team who wants him will know that they'll be competing with a much bigger group of teams in the summer if he goes for a three. 

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If we got offered £15m in January, which is extremely doubtful, but we would really have to strongly consider it. Of course, the majority would need reinvesting, but that could create a really strong team for more than 6 months, and still help us short term too.

£15m with time to spend it, yes. 

£15m on deadline day in the middle of a promotion push, no.

• Like 1

• Backroom
9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He doesn't think we would now. He explicitly states it as hypothetical (if) AND says it'd be 'extremely doubtful'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think we will get £15 million - probably a lot less. But the circumstances of a January window means that teams might pay a premium. 

Brereton is showing that last season wasn't a flash in the pan, and any team who wants him will know that they'll be competing with a much bigger group of teams in the summer if he goes for a three. 

If PL clubs won't offered it in the summer than I don't see it happening in January. 

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

He doesn't think we would now. He explicitly states it as hypothetical (if) AND says it'd be 'extremely doubtful'.

I understood that but my point was no club even offered us double figures up front so I think its more than extremely doubtful we get an offered of that

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Is it just me that thinks this season he has regressed somewhat? Loses the ball a lot more and when he stays rooted on the left wing we never do well. If this was his breakout season, no one would be talking £20 million.

I agree if this was his breakout season no one would be offering £20 million. Tbf no one is offering that now but I can’t agree with the rest. He’s easily one of the best forwards in the league 

23 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Is it just me that thinks this season he has regressed somewhat? Loses the ball a lot more and when he stays rooted on the left wing we never do well. If this was his breakout season, no one would be talking £20 million.

Dont think so - he has a lot more confidence this season. Some of the efforsts he has made that have just missed shows that, Definitely not regressedm just a bit lacking in the suipply line to him. Dack putting that through ball against Blackpool as an example. He is clinical in that sitatuion. At the moment he is having to make chances for himself.

• Like 1

One thing worth noting. Brereton can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club in January. The club which have been most consistently linked with, Sevilla are having an abysmal season. 

They were actually sitting in the relegation zone until a 90th minute equaliser yesterday. Not an appealing option right now and certainly one where if there was interest from Brereton, he'd be wise to wait and see rather than sign early. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

One thing worth noting. Brereton can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club in January. The club which have been most consistently linked with, Sevilla are having an abysmal season. 

They were actually sitting in the relegation zone until a 90th minute equaliser yesterday. Not an appealing option right now and certainly one where if there was interest from Brereton, he'd be wise to wait and see rather than sign early. 

Yeah it must be shit living in Sevilla. Where we stay, not too far away, the forecast is mid 20’s C all week.

On 03/11/2022 at 22:22, Exiled in Toronto said:

He's not converting chances at the ridiculous rate he was pre-Christmas 2021. That's about the only difference.

• Like 1