BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

How good is Brereton really?  Would he really cut it in the PL?  Is he really more suited to a mid table La Liga side?

I certainly think he's an excellent Championship player and a far better footballer than Armstrong.

At a time when goal scorers are scarce and worth a a fortune, you would have thought some PL team would have taken a punt at £15millon irrespective of his contract situation.  I think the fact Rovers received offers reportedly in the £8m to £10m range tells its own story - PL clubs are far from convinced Brereton has what it takes to seriously make an impact in the PL.

I am not convinced he has the intensity or dynamism to make an impact in the PL.  On a 'free' some PL clubs might take him as a 'squad' player.

In my view, Brereton's best move would be to a mid table La Liga team - where there would be far less pressure on him in a far less intense league and it would suit his style of play much better.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Dress sense, appearance and the fact that we could actually read notes that were in English and not a sign of Spanish amongst them, all were English apart from the Brighton scout who was a Scot!

So the notion of an English person working for a Spanish club hasn’t crossed your mind then.

Good to know your racial profiling skills are still pretty sharp though. 

That was a joke by the way...

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

How good is Brereton really?  Would he really cut it in the PL?  Is he really more suited to a mid table La Liga side?

I certainly think he's an excellent Championship player and a far better footballer than Armstrong.

At a time when goal scorers are scarce and worth a a fortune, you would have thought some PL team would have taken a punt at £15millon irrespective of his contract situation.  I think the fact Rovers received offers reportedly in the £8m to £10m range tells its own story - PL clubs are far from convinced Brereton has what it takes to seriously make an impact in the PL.

I am not convinced he has the intensity or dynamism to make an impact in the PL.  On a 'free' some PL clubs might take him as a 'squad' player.

In my view, Brereton's best move would be to a mid table La Liga team - where there would be far less pressure on him in a far less intense league and it would suit his style of play much better.

I think EPL clubs may well have been put off by the example of Armstrong. Success in the Championship doesn't necessarily translate to the next rung up. I agree Brereton is better than Armstrong by the way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Upside Down said:

So the notion of an English person working for a Spanish club hasn’t crossed your mind then.

Good to know your racial profiling skills are still pretty sharp though. 

That was a joke by the way...

Johnny Foreigner staying over there giving us their jobs...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, starscascade said:

I’ve just re-re-watched the Sky docu. Where most of you lot are attacking hun.

The guy on here that they screenshot said we should have signed Matt Smith instead… hilarious 😂 fancy that being out there on live tv! 

What’s the documentary called? 

Likes of Milan seem fanciful. I love Ben but he’s not that good. I still hope he heads for the continent - ideally Spain - rather than the PL though. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

It’s a Sky Bet YouTube video (through their League of 72 brand), it’s never been on ‘live TV’. Nothing to do with Sky Sports.

(Oh and it’s one screenshot of here, showing about three posts, so not sure why starscascade keeps resurrecting it every few days. Third time now?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, starscascade said:

The guy on here that they screenshot said we should have signed Matt Smith instead… hilarious 😂 fancy that being out there on live tv! 

Yes it was me. If I remember correctly what I said was,  I would spend on 3 players. Target man Matt Smith to help to play the same way when Graham was injury or out of form. Ben Osborn and Konsa were the other 2 targets. 

That's not to say that I never Rated BBD cos I did but wanted other players to heob

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 hours ago, starscascade said:

At the time it was stated it would’ve been logical to have wanted Matt Smith in the side ahead of Brereton. For two years he was absolutely dreadful and even the people who were his biggest advocates at that time were basing their views on hope rather than as a result of anything he was doing on the pitch.

Everyone is delighted he turned it round. He will no doubt continue his career at a higher placed club than us, rather than dropping down the pyramid which initially looked likely. However, if we lose him on a free we’ll have spent 7 million on a player with no return, without troubling the playoffs - let alone getting promoted. Regardless of the fairytale, and no matter how many YouTube documentaries get made, that would put him firmly in the bad signings bracket.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, starscascade said:

I assume your hindsight has served you well in life ?

On 15/10/2022 at 08:59, starscascade said:

Well you dropped the ball with this one. 'That guy' has come forward and announced himself as Chaddy - the most fanatically positive poster on Rovers issues I think I've ever seen, who defends virtually every decision the club makes. If even he thought the money could be spent better, it only confirms that it was highly reasonable at the time to think Brereton wasn't going to make it here.

All the hindsight in the world doesn't change that it was a sensible position to adopt at the time. It's extremely obvious now that Brereton was performing far, far below his capabilities. That's his fault, not the fault of Rovers posters who were only going off what they had seen with their own two eyes. Well done to Ben for finding himself again and becoming an essential part of our team. Lots of players just flounder in the abyss for the rest of their careers when things go as badly for them as they did for BBD. It takes character to come out of that kind of slump.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 8

Lots of fans of other clubs after the game on Tueday online saying Brereton will definitely be gone in January.

If we are still in the top 6, and within touching distance of the top 2, come January I cant see any way we would sell Brereton.

The bids would surely be lower than what we received last summer. They were not deemed to be adequate and I doubt the strategy when we rejected those offers was to utilise him for half a season to then sell for less money

Even if JDT and Broughton foolishly wanted the money instead to re-invest, Venkys tend to over-rule their managers and keep players rather than sell them from under their feet.  And the lad ultimately still just seems really happy to just do his best this season and see what the summer brings.

If we are anyway near the top 2 in Jan and he's sold then we can just forget this club ever going up as it will show the owners have no interest in promotion,after not spending last Jan when we were playing well this will just be a final nail in the coffin for any promotion dreams while they are owners.

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well if they wouldn’t sell him in the summer, or Rothwell last January, why would they sell him this coming January?

For one it's a different manger who they might listen to instead of doing things their own way plus you never know what they're thinking one year to the next.

Why would JDT want his star player sold if charging to promotion in January? 

Venky’s seem very hard over on ‘value’, so I can’t see them giving the green light to a sale considering the fee can only reduce from here with just months left to run on it…

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have offered BBD a new contract with bumper pay rise and we won't sell in January. He will make his decision on the contract offer at end of the season 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20265875/ben-brereton-diaz-blackburn-keep-no-transfer/

Interesting gambit by our owners - could be a double bluff to get the best price for him in January - but they did show with Rothwell that they are prepared to gamble on promotion.

Even if we got top price for him in January, with our wage restrictions, replacing him will be tough - unless JDT has someone in mind.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Interesting gambit by our owners - could be a double bluff to get the best price for him in January - but they did show with Rothwell that they are prepared to gamble on promotion.

Even if we got top price for him in January, with our wage restrictions, replacing him will be tough - unless JDT has someone in mind.

I see the owners not selling and given we offered a new contract and he won't decide till the summer is he wants to know which league Rovers will be in next season. 

I'm sure Rovers scouting replacements for him already