BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 minutes ago, belfast_rover said:

Sorry but this is myopic, Anglo-centric foolishness.  Just because a league system isn't full of clubs owned by nation states and venture capitalists doesn't immediately make it a pub league.  The better teams in the Swedish would likely be competitive in the Championship.

You can't have it both ways, either Malmo are minnows or they have an easy path to qualification. As it was, they had to through four rounds, seeing off Rangers and Ludogorets.

The current Chelsea manager built his reputation in the Swedish league, which suggests not many of the dugouts are manned by waterfowl.

Malmö are minnows in a European sense as is the Swedish league.

UEFA rules get such clubs easy access to European completion, easy when compare to the more competitive leagues in England, Germany, Italy etc etc

That is fact and fuck all to do with your "myopic, Anglo-centric foolishness" insult which you know where you can insert 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rovers have pulled Diaz from the Chile squad for their 2 friendlies during the WC break, basically saying he needs a rest.

Odd. I wonder how Ben feels about this and how it impacts back in Chile.

Just as well Rovers don't have any games for a few weeks .....

Head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson said: “Ben always wants to do well for Chile, it is something that is very important to him, but on the other hand he also needs a rest, so we will be keeping him at home on this occasion.

“I’m sure Ben would love to go, because he always wants to help every team in the world, because he loves the game that much, but on the other hand we need to protect and take care of Ben as a club."

Mowbray would never. Good on JDT telling Chile that he's unavailable.

51 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Mowbray would never. Good on JDT telling Chile that he's unavailable.

As far as I am aware the friendlies are being played in Europe on 17th and 20th November and televised internationally.

Is that any more onerous than doing a mini preseason? It not as if  Ben will be on his hols at Rovers, he still has to stay match fit. If the WC break was not happening he would be playing on Saturday coming and maybe even midweek.

JDTs reasoning defies logic.

The financial implications to Team Diaz are another matter but I expect advertising and sponsor revenue will be lost or at least reduced nevermind any appearance fees.

Maybe Rovers will be asked to reimburse.

Following JDTs reasoning it's a wonder any clubs allow their players to go to the WC.

I'm sure there has been a conversation between JDT and Brereton. And he's privately expressed that he's tired and needs a break. He would struggle to withdraw himself due to the reaction in Chile so JDT is happy to play the 'bad guy' and take the flak. 

It's good management. And the friendlies are ridiculous considering the schedule all players have been having to go through prior to the World Cup. A rest is the best thing for the player. Chile should see this too. A fit and healthy Brereton isn't just good for us, but them too.

• Like 1

There's no way Tomasson will want Brereton getting injured in a friendly. He's the only player at the club capable of hitting 20+ goals this season, and Gregg tells us we aren't doing anything in January so without BBD we won't be scoring many.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm sure there has been a conversation between JDT and Brereton. And he's privately expressed that he's tired and needs a break he wants to go on the piss up to Marbella. He would struggle to withdraw himself due to the reaction in Chile so JDT is happy to play the 'bad guy' and take the flak. 

I've fixed it for you. Having played on Sunday, he could easily have sat tomorrows fixture out and played in Slovakia on Sunday. There is then a 20 day break between the second Chile fixture and the Preston game. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

• Backroom
On 14/11/2022 at 14:30, AllRoverAsia said:

Malmö are minnows in a European sense as is the Swedish league.

UEFA rules get such clubs easy access to European completion, easy when compare to the more competitive leagues in England, Germany, Italy etc etc

That is fact and fuck all to do with your "myopic, Anglo-centric foolishness" insult which you know where you can insert 

Are you under the age of 30? That's the only context in which I can see Malmö being a 'minnow'.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I remember the first football computer game I got - which ironically was a European Super League game - on the Amiga. The teams in said competition included Malmö, Bordeaux, Benfica - so much has changed since the champions league was invented. 

The moment that competition in football was destroyed.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 17:26, Mike E said:

Are you under the age of 30? That's the only context in which I can see Malmö being a 'minnow'.

Whilst I agree with you to a certain extent your talking about a Malmo from decades ago. Same can be said for Gothenburg. 

As I live in Sweden I watch most of the televised games here and the standard is shit... Very shit. Only Hacken, who won the league, would scrape survival in the Premier league. 

Others, including malmo would struggle in the championship and I'm glad we never paid any money for some of the names mentioned above apart from Anel. 

Gothenburg are woeful and it says it all to me when the leagues second top scorer is one of our ex players..... Marcus Antonnson who plays for Varnamo. ( who?). 

The likes of a Swedish team winning an European trophy again are zilch. I can't even see one making a semi final. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/19/blackburn-transfer-news-rovers-make-last-ditch-offer-to-keep-brereton-diaz/

Any truth in this? 

Maybe a move to try and regain some support after the O'Brian fiasco

Has his deal with the Spanish club not been sealed yet?? 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

I think he's probably realised that he'd be best served spending another season or two with us, in addition to having a new kid and I'd like to think that he feels that he owes us a bit as well.

This wouldn't have come around had there been no movement from BBD's agent's side.

Hopefully it's also a sign that we're willing to spend a bit more to keep our better players moving forward, so we don't see a repeat of Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe.

• Like 1

He would be crazy to potentially jeopardise a massive multi year contract a top La Liga club out of some sort of obligation that he feels he has to us. We didn't pay the fee we paid as a goodwill gesture and we have chosen to turn down approaches that could have left us in profit that could have got him a move.

If we sign him on an extra year then we wont get any money still anyway, it would just be like an expensive loan deal.

Why would he best served playing in the Championship where people know he can score goals over playing in La Liga?

If he's having second thoughts about moving abroad, I'm sure there will be other Championship suitors who would offer a better deal than us, thus solving that particular problem for him.

It's just another publicity stunt to appease the gullible.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 1

None of this makes sense to me.

He signs it and we end up in Groundhog Day 2024, when he's free to speak to foreign clubs again who will happily wait 12 months.

If as someone on another thread alluded to, he might not want to make any big life decisions considering his recent arrival, then what good is a 12 month deal to Ben? 

Edited by TugaysMarlboro

Ben is not good enough at this point to make an impression in top flight football. Whether it is in the prem or la Liga, he would be lucky to get between 5 and 10 goals. He will know that himself.

If he can bank £1.5 million by staying another season, it may well make sense. One more 20 plus season, could give him the confidence and desire to test himself at a higher level, so maybe it’s the way to go. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lraC said:

Ben is not good enough at this point to make an impression in top flight football. Whether it is in the prem or la Liga, he would be lucky to get between 5 and 10 goals. He will know that himself.

If he can bank £1.5 million by staying another season, it may well make sense. One more 20 plus season, could give him the confidence and desire to test himself at a higher level, so maybe it’s the way to go. 

He'd be best to see this season out before making a final decision. 

If we get to the playoffs and he puts in  a very good performance or 2 in front of the cameras with a big audience then it could tempt a few prem clubs to finally make a serious move for him. Or in the fantasy scenario that we won promotion he'd be better of signing a bumber Premier league contract here 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2