BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The telling line in that article for me was " I probably haven't got a best XI, that depends on the opposition."

The managers who I've enjoyed the most - and invariably been the most successful - Jack Marshall, Gordon Lee, Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness had this strange habit of picking their strongest team week in and week out irrespective of the opposition.

That screams "We worry about the opposition"

Instead of

"Let the opposition worry about us"

• Like 3

Sugar me, I weakened my resolve and read it.

Note to self:

I must not read shit garbage

I must not read shit garbage

I must not read shit garbage

Etc Etc 100 times

I cant help it ... he actually thinks that we could, currently, be at least in 2nd place. Truly I am lost for words.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

The thing is that the crap he is saying isnt actually problem, but it merely throws salt into the wounds of a blatant failure to improve and come close to meeting targets on the league table. There is literally no basis as to how he has concluded that we should be 10 or 12 points better off, none at all. You get the points you deserve.

I think there are still some fans who genuinely believe in the journey and that we are in a better place than last season purely on what they have seen aesthetically despite the minor issue that we are worse off for points even compared to a season in which we never got into the top 6.

Even the supposed attacking/entertaining football has been non existent for quite a while now. His major flaw is that all of his theories seem to have concluded that there is a 100% correlation between having more of the ball and winning points, but there were numerous examples of teams who disproved that even last season. We also dont have any defenders who are good with the ball with their feet, nor the players seemingly to be able to play at a high enough tempo in those areas to ensure that it is not merely keeping the ball for the sake of it. Mowbray mentioned recently that he delegates set pieces to his coaching staff. A well managed side tends to be proficient from set pieces, and we may not have the biggest side in the world so to an extent I understand why we do try short corners but you have to put the time in to practice, you need the quality of coaching and you need constantly new ideas to ensure that teams never know what you are about to do. As we clearly dont have these 3, it makes more sense to play the percentages and take normal corners. Football doesnt have to be either obsessing about possession or going direct, there can be a happy medium and plenty of compromises but Mowbray seems too keen to stick to his misguided principles.

We have 3 players in attacking positions that guarantee goals and assists, which gives us a huge leg up on basically everyone in this league, even having 2 as we have up until this date is a massive bonus. Play all three in their best positions (Armstrong central, Dack as a 10 ie no false 9 or CM shite and Elliott on the right and not again in CM) and go from there. We have a lorry load of players who tend to flatter to deceive, 3 bad games for every 1 good game, Rothwell, Holtby, Brereton, Gallagher etc and they can all fight for the remaining spots, then I would go with 2 central midfielders who can help to protect our flaky defence, and actually a lot of time spent on organising rather than "building on an attacking structure" which makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you think Carter is better than Branthwaite? Why do you think that? 

he might very well be better than carter and most likely is,just the fact that mowbray previously has stated young lads who are central defenders usually ar`nt up to it physically ,then he goes and signs an 18 year old with very little experience,unless he`s the second incarnation of a rio ferdinand(if he was then he`d be on the verge of the everton first team)it`s a desperate move by a man who`s run out of ideas,not that he`s ever had much of an idea about defending,astonishing as he was a very good one as a player

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he might very well be better than carter and most likely is,just the fact that mowbray previously has stated young lads who are central defenders usually ar`nt up to it physically ,then he goes and signs an 18 year old with very little experience,unless he`s the second incarnation of a rio ferdinand(if he was then he`d be on the verge of the everton first team)it`s a desperate move by a man who`s run out of ideas,not that he`s ever had much of an idea about defending,astonishing as he was a very good one as a player

He is near the Everton first team, in fact he was in the first team. He was on the bench for their last 3 games and has even started PL games. 

I don't know if Mowbray specifically said anything about their physicality, but anyway , you really have to take palyers on an individual basis. As you say, the signs point to this guy, 18 or not, being better than what we have available. He could even be better than Wharton by the sounds of things. 

I guess the worry about this Everton lad is that he's 18. You don't normally expect an 18 year old who hasn't played regular 1st team football at any level to come in for half a season and exercise influence on a creaky defence, to save your bacon really.

He could, he might, but its not reassuring that that's where we are after 4 years of Mowbray.

We're basically hoping that he's another Phil Jones and they don't come along too often.

9 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Made the mistake of reading an article on the LT website this morning. Tony f7cking rabbiting on claiming to not know about a bid for the Crewe player as we have two left backs already. God is hateful at times. 

Serves you right, by now you should know Mowbray has lost it. COYB, give Stoke a stuffing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 47er said:

I guess the worry about this Everton lad is that he's 18. You don't normally expect an 18 year old who hasn't played regular 1st team football at any level to come in for half a season and exercise influence on a creaky defence, to save your bacon really.

He could, he might, but its not reassuring that that's where we are after 4 years of Mowbray.

We're basically that he's another Phil Jones and they don't come along too often.

Even the best centre half I ever saw, Mike England, wasn't ready to play first team centre half at 18 years of age.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I decided to do my best not to read or listen to anything he says ages ago. He's getting into Keano and Coyle territory when he opens his mouth.

Perhaps people start believing their own bullshit when their job is under no pressure ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Made the mistake of reading an article on the LT website this morning. Tony f7cking rabbiting on claiming to not know about a bid for the Crewe player as we have two left backs already. God is hateful at times. 

“We’ve got two left backs, I’m not sure where that came from.

“We’ve got Barry Douglas, we’ve got Amari’i Bell, it would seem mad to me to sign a left back when you haven’t got any centre halves.”

Mowbray with a quote very similar to what other people have been getting absolutely savaged for saying by his fan club.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I'm fortunate. I can't access the telegraph stories unless I pay for it. Frankly it's not worth forking out for, no matter how little it costs 

Edited by Lucimo
  • Like 3

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Just don’t read his interviews. I stopped listening to managers after Kean and it’s been great for stress levels ever since.

I only know what TM says because I read it quoted on here. I certainly never go looking for his views as they have for a very long time been very much opposed to my own.