BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Nyambe is obviously a better full back, even though calls for him being the best RB in the league are massively exaggerated with the likes of Max Aarons, Adam Smith, Connor Roberts and one or 2 others in the league, Nyambe is good and should play every game whereas Douglas has underwhelmed since joining. But v Boro, they got in behind Nyambe a couple of times whereas I thought Douglas' only real mistakes were a couple of sloppy free kicks given away a fair way from goal. Nyambe was also responsible for the goal conceded v Stoke the week before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Then we need a centre back in whether thats a loan or permanent I not bothered as long as it a quality player. 

I know Ayala and Williams seem to be constantly injured but when they’re back (10 days - 2 weeks Ayala / few weeks for Williams?) Tony will already have two upset centre halves as I can’t see him breaking the Lenihan/Branthwaite partnership. I’d prefer we focus on getting Pickering in as both our left backs are terrible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I know Ayala and Williams seem to be constantly injured but when they’re back (10 days - 2 weeks Ayala / few weeks for Williams?) Tony will already have two upset centre halves as I can’t see him breaking the Lenihan/Branthwaite partnership. I’d prefer we focus on getting Pickering in as both our left backs are terrible.

Can we trust either of Ayala and Williams not to get injury again before the season out? 

We need to Pickering deal and thats our 1st choice slot sort for this season and beyond. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

I thought Williams was out for the season? 

Don’t think so. He did an Instagram video of him doing some quite active muscle training the other day. He certainly didn’t look crocked for the season (not that I’m an expert!). 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

They just need to get him in and not risk waiting until the summer when there may be more interest. If he does sign this month, I'm sure we could push out Bell on loan somewhere quickly and get some of his wages paid. That's if we're bothered about having 3 senior LBs on the books. 

Providing he's as good as he's suggested to be, it solves our long term LB issue and rather cheaply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What an indictment though!

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hopefully we can get Pickering signed here permanently. Seems Sheff Wed move hasn't materialised.  So we need to get this done

Then we need a centre back in whether thats a loan or permanent I not bothered as long as it a quality player. 

Was speaking to a work colleague who is a Walsall season ticket holder about the lad, Jukes, whose name was mentioned last week. Interestingly, he is a CB but has been playing left back all season, having ousted their first two choices. Seems he is a better LB than CB! Can see why we might be linked with him then 😉. Has obviously not had opportunity to see him play live this season, but has apparently made a significant step up in performances, having been mostly bang average last season. If he gets picked up by a Championship side, he should do okay if he carries on playing like he is, but can't really predict as is playing League 2 standard, but is better than that. Is only 23, so can continue to develop. Is a good athlete, quick and physically imposing. Would be cheap enough. Would tick most boxes for TM.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can we trust either of Ayala and Williams not to get injury again before the season out? 

We need to Pickering deal and thats our 1st choice slot sort for this season and beyond. 

Have you forgotten that League 1 players are shit?  Surely we have better in our 23s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe is obviously a better full back, even though calls for him being the best RB in the league are massively exaggerated with the likes of Max Aarons, Adam Smith, Connor Roberts and one or 2 others in the league, Nyambe is good and should play every game whereas Douglas has underwhelmed since joining. But v Boro, they got in behind Nyambe a couple of times whereas I thought Douglas' only real mistakes were a couple of sloppy free kicks given away a fair way from goal. Nyambe was also responsible for the goal conceded v Stoke the week before. 

I would agree on all of that. There is no way Nyambe is anywhere near the best in the league whilst his offensive output is so low. If he builds on last week's goal though and keeps doing that, what a player he will be. 

I think Douglas gave away those frees due to the years catching up a bit. He's cute enough when he makes them though, not bad ones to give away. I think he reads the game well, has decent passing range, he just physically has strugled and at times and that led to him making mistakes. Hopefully with his fitness improving, we will see more from him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would agree on all of that. There is no way Nyambe is anywhere near the best in the league whilst his offensive output is so low. If he builds on last week's goal though and keeps doing that, what a player he will be. 

I think Douglas gave away those frees due to the years catching up a bit. He's cute enough when he makes them though, not bad ones to give away. I think he reads the game well, has decent passing range, he just physically has strugled and at times and that led to him making mistakes. Hopefully with his fitness improving, we will see more from him. 

With Nyambe, I still feel like he is very limited and even one dimensional in attack, his crossing ability especially from deeper areas or first time are still poor.  That being said, he has started assisting and has been much more effective in general going forward I think, which seems to be down to using his brain and knowing how to isolate full backs and get into positions where he can essentially run/power past them and rather than having to come up with good crosses, he essentially just has to pull the ball back from the byline, he has set Armstrong up a couple of times like that. I also dont think he is perfect by any means defensively, it was his fault that Stoke scored and Boro got in behind him a couple of times, although in the main his one on one defending is good. He is usually one of our best performers and I doubt we could get an equal replacement if he leaves, he is a good right back but hes still a bit off the best in the division, especially Max Aarons who is up on his own.

Douglas is one of three players that we signed with much heralded Championship promotion experience and none of the 3 deals have gone particularly well, you question the diligence done and the circumstances in which they were signed. Douglas himself is aging and barely played in the promotion with Leeds, he was a regular for Wolves but not as a left back. Ayala hadnt played for 9 months and had suffered seriously with injuries, so bringing him especially on a 3 year deal and as a sole central defensive addition was very risky, and Trybull wasnt a regular at Norwich nor has he been here. Hopefully all 3 will offer more in the second half of the season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

With Nyambe, I still feel like he is very limited and even one dimensional in attack, his crossing ability especially from deeper areas or first time are still poor.  That being said, he has started assisting and has been much more effective in general going forward I think, which seems to be down to using his brain and knowing how to isolate full backs and get into positions where he can essentially run/power past them and rather than having to come up with good crosses, he essentially just has to pull the ball back from the byline, he has set Armstrong up a couple of times like that. I also dont think he is perfect by any means defensively, it was his fault that Stoke scored and Boro got in behind him a couple of times, although in the main his one on one defending is good. He is usually one of our best performers and I doubt we could get an equal replacement if he leaves, he is a good right back but hes still a bit off the best in the division, especially Max Aarons who is up on his own.

Douglas is one of three players that we signed with much heralded Championship promotion experience and none of the 3 deals have gone particularly well, you question the diligence done and the circumstances in which they were signed. Douglas himself is aging and barely played in the promotion with Leeds, he was a regular for Wolves but not as a left back. Ayala hadnt played for 9 months and had suffered seriously with injuries, so bringing him especially on a 3 year deal and as a sole central defensive addition was very risky, and Trybull wasnt a regular at Norwich nor has he been here. Hopefully all 3 will offer more in the second half of the season.

Nyambe is rarely, if ever beaten in one on ones. He's very solid. No reason why he can't start adding a few assists

Ya, not looking great, but I think Ayala is good when fit. Just hopefully he gets back playing regularly. It's going to be a long three years if it's always like this. Trybull ,not working out no, it's hard to see where he fits in. Especially with Evans back. I would keep him around ,but I wouldn't be surprised to see the loan terminated. 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nyambe is rarely, if ever beaten in one on ones. He's very solid. No reason why he can't start adding a few assists

Ya, not looking great, but I think Ayala is good when fit. Just hopefully he gets back playing regularly. It's going to be a long three years if it's always like this. Trybull ,not working out no, it's hard to see where he fits in. Especially with Evans back. I would keep him around ,but I wouldn't be surprised to see the loan terminated. 

It said last week in the LT that we are contributing a minimal amount of Trybull's wage so we may aswell keep him around. We have plenty in midfield so I would certainly loan Buckley out.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think Kipre might have other plans considering we couldn't match the wages WBA ended up paying him. 

Plans like getting absolutely nowhere near the WBA team for the next few years and becoming a forgotten man of football by the time he needs a new deal elsewhere?

He can hardly expect to get another Prem team, and it's fairly unlikely a Championship team steps in to pay Prem wages considering they didn't last time he was available for a modest fee, and he has subsequently not played so will be less fit and have lost momentum.

I don't see us getting him on a perm this window though. Loan with a view, at best.

Edited by bluebruce

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Plans like getting absolutely nowhere near the WBA team for the next few years and becoming a forgotten man of football by the time he needs a new deal elsewhere?

He can hardly expect to get another Prem team, and it's fairly unlikely a Championship team steps in to pay Prem wages considering they didn't last time he was available for a modest fee, and he has subsequently not played so will be less fit and have lost momentum.

I don't see us getting him on a perm this window though. Loan with a view, at best.

Financial plans. He's hardly going to come and play in the Championship if he's got a couple of years of Prem money left on his contract. 

6 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Financial plans. He's hardly going to come and play in the Championship if he's got a couple of years of Prem money left on his contract. 

If he gets a few k less from a Championship club (there were actually even reports that we had offered more wage than them, dunno how true that is but they obviously don't value him that much) with a signing on fee, maybe a longer deal, maybe a sweet promotion bonus and the chance to keep playing and get a pay rise with another move etc, that's better for his overall financial outlook in my book. Not that I expect long term thinking from most footballers.