BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Hughes had the raw materials.  He had a good under 21 international career, on the verge of the full squad and played 4 years in the Norwegian league scoring 40 goals in 100 odd games.

Buckley has nish.

He had enough to make you disappear when he scored the equaliser t'other week. 

I think Buckley is a product of sanitised football from youth level. He's a lad who can put his foot on the ball and play a pass. And I do think there is the potential for him to be one of these players who plays differently. At a different rhythm. He was the next big thing before he'd played for the first team and I feel like he has been told that too much. He is trying to tick along at that rhythm when what he really needs is some grit. Earn the right to play. 

He needs to hit the gym and start eating a lot of food. He will never be stacked but he is being bypassed. He needs to run. And he needs to spend some time in changing rooms with frozen pipes, take a few knocks, come back and then see where he is. As right now, rather than being that different player who can make a difference like he's been told. He is just well off the pace and being completely bypassed. He is literally a kid playing with men. Its one thing saying it will come with age. But he also needs to graft to get there and that is what I am not seekng at the moment. He needs to be made aware that football is a game for athletes. And he ain't Tugay. If he doesn't start grafting and bulk up a bit be will not even make championship level. 

• Like 2

I'm not going to repeat what others have said as I've said (or agreed with) most of it before, but one thing that struck me yesterday was what seems to be an inability to run! It constantly looks like he's got those resistance band things on they use in training.

He's so slow it's untrue. I reckon Danny Graham would beat him in a sprint. I don't know if it's a case of can't or won't, but there never seems to be even a hint of trying to speed up to get to the ball first or go past someone.

On 23/01/2021 at 10:22, rigger said:

I haven't seen much of Mols. Is he better than Buckley in peoples opinions ?

No comparison. Buckley is head and shoulders better than mols. I will say as one of the John Buckley fan club I’m suprised at how poorly he has performed and the lack of impact he has had in games. I was all for him getting game time this season but I think it’s time for a season loan to league one for some week in week out experience. I certainly won’t be writing him off just yet but agree with many that he isn’t ready for the first team just yet. 

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know from regular U23 watchers where Buckley tended to play when he was a star performer for that team. For the first team, he seems to play as a deep-ish lying fulcrum midfielder, when in midfield, which doesn't seem to suit him. Recently, Mowbray described him as an attacking midfielder who glides past defenders in training. That's not something that has been seen in first team matches.

I am not ready to give up on Buckley, given his success at U23 level and the occasional glimpses he has shown, especially, initially - but he does need improvement and, perhaps, a fixed position that suits him would help. Joe Rothwell has come more into his own since finding a role best suited to his game.

Mowbray turned down League One loan enquiries in September, last year, but, if there was such an option now, I think it might be for the best for Buckley. If he stays, he should get regular U23 games to prove his worth again and build confidence.

20 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I'd be interested to know from regular U23 watchers where Buckley tended to play when he was a star performer for that team. For the first team, he seems to play as a deep-ish lying fulcrum midfielder, when in midfield, which doesn't seem to suit him. Recently, Mowbray described him as an attacking midfielder who glides past defenders in training. That's not something that has been seen in first team matches.

I am not ready to give up on Buckley, given his success at U23 level and the occasional glimpses he has shown, especially, initially - but he does need improvement and, perhaps, a fixed position that suits him would help. Joe Rothwell has come more into his own since finding a role best suited to his game.

Mowbray turned down League One loan enquiries in September, last year, but, if there was such an option now, I think it might be for the best for Buckley. If he stays, he should get regular U23 games to prove his worth again and build confidence.

Have to correct that bit - Joe has always stated his best position was centre midfield. Your sentence should be:

Joe Rothwell has come more into his own since TM started playing him in his best position. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Would have been bottom of the list of deals we needed to tie up but the easiest to sort.

I think he’s got some potential but wouldn’t be near the team at this point. 

Still never a bad idea if cheap enough to do 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

but that isn't a loan for him to develop his game is it. 

I would start to use Buckley now in the team now

Douglas came here to play and possible earn a contract here

Douglas has come here to play regular football because he isn't good enough to play for Leeds. Buckley should be sent out on loan to play regular football because he isn't good enough to play for us.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He is 21 years old now. Do you not think his time on loan has gone? 

Hardly ready for the scrap heap at that age! Hes not capable at this level at this moment in time so playing him regularly for a season would be counter productive. Best bet is to get him in League 1, and see if he can regularly impact games.

I'd guess this means that we won't be renewing Holtby's contract at the end of the year, and with Downing 99% calling it a day will mean that he'll be getting the game time that this season has gone to those two.

Personally, I think this is one that we'll see dividends with down the line. Won't dispute that he has had too many games which have completely passed him by, but equally he's not really had a consistent run yet either. 

We certainly have bigger things to worry about, but I'm glad that we've got this one sorted. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd guess this means that we won't be renewing Holtby's contract at the end of the year, and with Downing 99% calling it a day will mean that he'll be getting the game time that this season has gone to those two

Holtby has been missing on and off all season and Downing has started just one league game yet Buckley has still barely mustered a start even though we have been playing a midfield 3. If we want to be at the right end of the table next season we are going to need much better than Buckley in the middle of the park. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He is 21 years old now. Do you not think his time on loan has gone? 

Wharton was still going out on loan at that age, and at 22 I believe?

Ideally you loan kids out younger and they're playing as important players in the squad by 21, but he hasn't developed enough. If he can still develop on loan he needs to go out on loan. If we think he is finished developing then frankly he wasn't worth keeping around as he hasn't been good enough.

I fail to see how he's even going to develop and show his potential being used as a bit part player. On the other hand I don't think he's shown enough to command a regular spot in the team. Only option for me would be a loan spell where he can start week in week out and see how he gets on.

• Like 3