BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Holtby has been missing on and off all season and Downing has started just one league game yet Buckley has still barely mustered a start even though we have been playing a midfield 3. If we want to be at the right end of the table next season we are going to need much better than Buckley in the middle of the park. 

Yes, no arguments there. To clarify I'm not suggesting that I expect him to be a key player for us from the start of next season. If he is, he would need to improve fairly drastically on most of his performances his season. My point is that those two would be candidates to play similar roles to him, and his new contract is probably a sign that they'll be on their way come the end of the year (we probably already knew that about Downing in fairness).

I do think though that there's a lot more to come from him though, and there'll come a point in the not too distant future where he really changes some opinions. I've never really bought the idea that he needs to go out on loan to 'toughen up' particularly, but he definitely needs to get a run of games to develop, either here or elsewhere. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I fail to see how he's even going to develop and show his potential being used as a bit part player. On the other hand I don't think he's shown enough to command a regular spot in the team. Only option for me would be a loan spell where he can start week in week out and see how he gets on.

My thoughts exactly. A loan will show whether there is anything concrete to go with that fantastic potential. It's the only logical outcome of the situation which is why I can't see TM doing it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

FFS, my sh1t day Monday has now got even worse!

Beyond belief.

IMO, will never make it whilst he's a hole in his arse.

Aye, another shit show down Ewood.  Feckin no room for Harrison Reed but yeah Bucko he the man.  

He won't go on loan because nobody wants him or could make use of him.  

• Like 1

I still think that its a major oversimplification to suggest that Buckley merely needs to toughen up. He is particularly slight but many slightly built players thrive and impact games. I am still to be convinced that he has the brain, the intelligence, the ability etc to impact on games with any regularity.

Going out to League 1 would be a very good chance for him. You look at the benchmark that a player often ignored in favour of Buckley in Chapman who has instantly been a hit at that level and even then, there would be doubts as to whether he would be worth being in our squad next year. If he goes down to League 1 and sets the world alight at that level, then he can push to get into our team upon his return.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bit of inconsequential news being paraded as a major coup here as no doubt the players who really matter won't commit.

I think Buckley has natural ability, far more so than say JRC, but thus far he has failed to impose himself when given the chance. And it isn't as though he is 17 or 18.

• Like 1

at 21 he should be a first team regular if all the hype about him is true,i don`t see the natural ability or anything that stands out that he`s a professional footballer tbh,for all his so called promise he has zero time on the ball and looks completely out of his comfort zone,if we are giving out long contracts to someone who is`nt going to make it then the future is bleak

he reminds me of a young lad called tony diamond who appeared in the middle to late 80`s,couple of appearances and it was clear the then 2nd division was to much for him,of course that was when the club was run properly and we had a decent manager

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit of inconsequential news being paraded as a major coup here as no doubt the players who really matter won't commit.

I think Buckley has natural ability, far more so than say JRC, but thus far he has failed to impose himself when given the chance. And it isn't as though he is 17 or 18.

I think JRC has shown a lot more in his first team appearances than Bucko ever has. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

I think JRC has shown a lot more in his first team appearances than Bucko ever has. 

Disagree to the extent I don't think either have shown anything much at all but I think at least Buckley looks to have some innate natural ability.

I really can't see what people rate in JRC, I can't see anything in him at all.

Maybe like many others he'd be better in his natural position!

• Like 1

Looks like we're gonna flog this dead horse until the mythical 10 million bid comes in.

This will undoubtedly be part of the line being spun to India right now - protecting valuable assets.

The lad hasn't got the mentality to make it as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bazza said:

I must be the only one who thinks Buckley is a very good footballer. I would hate to lose him to another club unless it's on loan. Him and JRC I want at Rovers for a long, long time.

Quite the opposite Bazza, I think he has a lot of talent. However, whenever he's given a chance to start games he bottles it and disappears.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Looks like we're gonna flog this dead horse until the mythical 10 million bid comes in.

This will undoubtedly be part of the line being spun to India right now - protecting valuable assets.

AB405902-CBBD-40DA-A9F5-B5EAE62038FD.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Quite the opposite Bazza, I think he has a lot of talent. However, whenever he's given a chance to start games he bottles it and disappears.

I think him and Downing are by far the best passers of a ball in midfield. Better than Travis.

Don't judge him when Mogasaurus plays him at RB.

And FFS don't even dare compare him with J Lowe. Chalk and cheese.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LDRover said:

He's in a comfort zone of playing for his local club and having only walk-on parts that don't put him under any real pressure. Nice work for someone with little ambition.

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Disagree to the extent I don't think either have shown anything much at all but I think at least Buckley looks to have some innate natural ability.

I really can't see what people rate in JRC, I can't see anything in him at all.

Maybe like many others he'd be better in his natural position!

I mean this is a key consideration. We could have the next Messi on our hands with Buckley (I don't think we do btw) and he wouldn't develop being shunted to right back. Likewise with JRC a few stints at left back really isn't going to help his development either. 

1 hour ago, alcd said:

How in God's name did he manage to play nearly 200 games in the Championship or above. He should have stayed on loan at Oldham. Even that's probably a level too high.

I think Lowe is a clear example of the fan criticism of managerial player selection proving vindicated, in a way. Most Rovers fans knew that Lowe was sub-standard - but was somehow a manager's favourite and, if I remember rightly, even trusted to play as an emergency centre back, as well as his more regular central midfield or right back.

He was tall, athletic, had good fitness - and, I suppose, had leadership qualities - as he captained England U20s, Rovers and Bolton. I guess it was something about his off-field personality that appealed, especially, to certain managers and may have elevated him to have such a good career, racking up over 100 appearances at Rovers, as his ability was noticeably low, even for us.

By contrast, Alan Judge, who went on to be nominated as Championship Player of the Year with Brentford and international caps for Ireland, who were not short on decent creative midfielders, received, I believe, a couple of appearances during his first stint at Rovers and 11 in his second.

But credit to Lowe for making the most of his abilities (and managers' inabilities) and still playing at a good level with Salford City. When he was in the England U21 team, I remember talk of Premier League clubs considering him. What a coup that would have been for Rovers and Lowe.

With Buckley, I think he could do with watching footage of Tom Cairney play. I'm not equating them as players but that's the sort of style of player Buckley is, I believe.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

But credit to Lowe for making the most of his abilities (and managers' inabilities) and still playing at a good level with Salford City. When he was in the England U21 team, I remember talk of Premier League clubs considering him. What a coup that would have been for Rovers and Lowe.

With Buckley, I think he could do with watching footage of Tom Cairney play. I'm not equating them as players but that's the sort of style of player Buckley is, I believe.

If Bucko has half the career Lowe.has had he will have done well.  Not in the same league as Lowe as a footballer or athlete, Buxko is a little boy who somehow has found favour. He must be a nice lad.

An insult to a fully fledged premier league player.  I just don't get that, Cairny is different class to anyone in our squad. Bucko has about 3 starts to his name in real league matches....😔

In his interview on iFollow he comes over as too comfortable here. Started with us when he was six, he probably can’t remember a single thing of his life when he hasn’t been at Rovers. I love to see local lads in the team but I’m not sure he has the drive to succeed at all costs, which is what it takes unless you are ridiculously talented.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Bucko has half the career Lowe.has had he will have done well.  Not in the same league as Lowe as a footballer or athlete, Buxko is a little boy who somehow has found favour. He must be a nice lad.

An insult to a fully fledged premier league player.  I just don't get that, Cairny is different class to anyone in our squad. Bucko has about 3 starts to his name in real league matches....😔

I think Bucko‘s now on the longest contract at the club. He is the future, and that future is glorious through-balls on an endless loop. Beautiful. 

• Like 2