BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

8 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Hardly unusual at a football club. The majority of U23's won't make a career out of playing, captain or not. 

Fair comment too.  It's a matter of opinion.  I just hope he does go and get on with his career somewhere...maybe a loan but probably permanent 

But then my opinion is that Whiteman is a class above Buckley,  but many on here disagree.  

Edited by Sparks Rover

• Backroom

Not the first time he's looked completely lost out there. Today will have dented his confidence for sure, but we'll see the measure of him as a player in how he reacts to this. Mowbray and the coaching staff really need to look at what is best for Buckley long-term - whether that means going out on loan or bulking him up a bit to contend with Championship football. We're not talking about a real youngster here either - he's 21, so only has a couple of years realistically to get these issues sorted. Otherwise I think he'll end up dropping down the leagues. 

• Like 2

Whilst listening to rovers on radio lancs there was an interview with Alex Neil who sees been whiteman as replacement for Paul Gallagher operating as a quarter back style midfielder spraying a range of passes. On showing so far Buckley is a long way away. 

• Like 1

I think we should loan him out now in january. IF he is as good as someone on this board says, he should be able to play himself into a League 1 or 2 side, maybe that experience could "wake him up".  If he can't play regulary on that level I think we should let him go in the summer.

• Like 3

I think he is talented, and has already scored a few useful goals despite very limited minutes. Gets himself in the right places and can pick a pass.

But you can't get away with being that lightweight, especially if you're not particularly quick. Realistically he doesn't have a future in the team unless he can become physically much much stronger.

Hes so wiry I do wonder whether he can bulk up.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think he is talented, and has already scored a few useful goals despite very limited minutes. Gets himself in the right places and can pick a pass.

All footballers are talented...even someone who just makes a scholar and nothing else is talented.

He hasn't scored any useful goals apart from that tap in last week

He got nearly a start today and was anonymous,

Right places? Can you explain this?

Side ways passes 10-15 yards 9 times out of 10 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

But you can't get away with being that lightweight, especially if you're not particularly quick. Realistically he doesn't have a future in the team unless he can become physically much much stronger.

Hes so wiry I do wonder whether he can bulk up.

With the right diet and training regimen he can absolutely bulk up to be competitive in professional football. If we were talking rugby or American Football I'd say yeah, he's probably not cut out for those sports at a professional level. As it is he doesn't need to end up looking like Hulk Hogan, just needs to seriously improve his core strength. He can look to Brereton as an example - the lad looked similarly weak last season but has obviously worked in his strength in the summer and looks much better prepared this season. 

• Like 2

I just don't think the lad has any ability.

IMO, what he offers can be found down at Pleasington every Saturday / Sunday.

I honestly doubt this lad will be earning a living from the game by the time he's 24.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Fair comment too.  It's a matter of opinion.  I just hope he does go and get on with his career somewhere...maybe a loan but probably permanent 

But then my opinion is that Whiteman is a class above Buckley,  but many on here disagree.  

I've seen some stats on these kids and how many of them actually carve  out a career. If you're at a premier league academy, then you have a. 019 % chance of making your debut. Some blokes looked at how many of the kids who get pros are still pros 5 years later, they started with over 200 and when they checked back after 5 years only 4 were still pros. Basically your odds are slim, perhaps some should consider pro lottery playing as another avenue to riches, or should consider you need 11 to play a match. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I've seen some stats on these kids and how many of them actually carve  out a career. If you're at a premier league academy, then you have a. 019 % chance of making your debut. Some blokes looked at how many of the kids who get pros are still pros 5 years later, they started with over 200 and when they checked back after 5 years only 4 were still pros. Basically your odds are slim, perhaps some should consider pro lottery playing as another avenue to riches, or should consider you need 11 to play a match. 

These days the pathways are a lot more clearer if you don't make it at a club like ours.  The  non league infrastructure is much better and more professional..kids can stay at clubs until well into their 20s without actually playing for the first team.

41 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I just don't think the lad has any ability.

IMO, what he offers can be found down at Pleasington every Saturday / Sunday.

I honestly doubt this lad will be earning a living from the game by the time he's 24.

I have been a huge critic, he was invisible again today and seems well off the standard for a Championship side.

But NO ability and out of making a living from football within the next 3 years? I know you are famed for your hyperbole but that seems a stretch even for you.

• Like 2

There is no point persisting with him this season, he has shown neither the mental or physical strength to impact any game so far.

Got to get him out on loan for the rest of the season, if he doesn't stand out at L1 or L2 then let's bank the 10 million when we sell him in the summer.....

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 1

buckley has zero time on the ball,can`t trap a bag of cement and does`nt in any way try to impose himself on the game,all the facets of a poor footballer,in truth iv`e seen better players than him drop out of the league and to be honest he`s to lightweight for non league football as well,i just don`t see any ability in the lad myself

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LDRover said:

If we circulated his name around all clubs for bids tomorrow does anyone think there would be interest?

If so, what level of club and how much?

Morecambe seems to be the home for ex Rovers youngsters. Although given how well they are going at the moment I doubt they would want him. I said it a while ago now but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this lad is playing non league football in a few years time. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Buckley needs the MGP treatment.

Assuming Hughes locked him in a cellar and had 7 bells knocked out of him or something, I dunno. Whatever he did, he transformed MGP into good player at prem level even though when he joined he looked way off it.

Hughes had the raw materials.  He had a good under 21 international career, on the verge of the full squad and played 4 years in the Norwegian league scoring 40 goals in 100 odd games.

Buckley has nish.